Considering a 105.003-65... any issues?

There’s a nice Ed White in the Private Sales section right now….

If price is in the range of course, for sure a nice -65 :thumbsup:
(When serial is confirmed ;))

Serial is within range for a -65, looks pretty clean too.

I don’t trust most dial lum I see that is too thick and too perfect. There are at least a few talented artisans fixing up dial lum these days. It will become an important distinction separating good from great examples. And every time I’m away for a couple of years there sprout up half a dozen experts. Moon Watch only students, I presume. Notice how shallow the lum is on the original dial here. upload_2024-2-14_17-49-22.png

I don’t trust most dial lum I see that is too thick and too perfect. There are at least a few talented artisans fixing up dial lum these days. It will become an important distinction separating good from great examples. And every time I’m away for a couple of years there sprout up half a dozen experts. Moon Watch only students, I presume. Notice how shallow the lum is on the original dial here. upload_2024-2-14_17-49-22.png

With respect, that is not an Ed White, it’s a later 67/68 Pro so you are comparing apples with oranges as those typically have thin yellow lume which has a habit of falling off. EW lume does go a bit puffy, often shrinks away from the plots and can look like squeezed toothpaste in extreme cases. The colour on the OP watch is much more pumpkin than most -65 EWs which is a bit suspicious but perhaps the missing hand lume is a good sign. Unless it’s a deliberate relumer trick that is! Here is mine from early ‘66 so over a year before the OP watch was made, rather different in colour but not too far off in look. Please excuse the hair on the crystal.

IMG_5939.jpeg
Edited:

Like 7
With respect, that is not an Ed White, it’s a later 67/68 Pro so you are comparing apples with oranges as those do have thin yellow lume typically which has a habit of falling off. EW lume does go a bit puffy and shrinks away from the plots in some cases and can look like squeezed toothpaste in extreme cases. The colour on the OP watch is much more pumpkin than most EWs which is a bit suspicious but perhaps the missing hand lume is maybe a good sign. Here is mine from early ‘66 so about a year before OP watch, rather different in colour but not too far off in look.

IMG_5939.jpeg
I never mentioned color, only the depth of the lum. I am well aware what I was comparing. I own four 105.003s and have owned several others. I own the transitional I used as an example...and a few other 68s like it. Along with dozens of other pre 1970 Speedmasters. None of my 105.003s have/had the toothpaste looking, very thick lum. None. I do agree the orange is not typical on these, either.

And in the interest of being very clear. I am not saying the watch in this thread has been re lumed. I am saying I would want to take a very close look at it and check the luminosity to see if it has too much or too little glow for its age. Again, I believe re lumed dials and repro DON bezels are going to become tougher and tougher to detect. And I believe true originals must command a premium. My opinion.
Edited:

Nice watch, price looks fair for me...

Cheers

P.s.: Having a EotA would be helpful though...

Nice watch, price looks fair for me...

Cheers

P.s.: Having a EotA would be helpful though...

What is an EotA?

I thought they weren't doing them at the moment.

Correct, those are not being issued at the moment. That said, I've seen an EoA with a confirmed serial being very close to this one: 254450xx as well. Delivered in November 1967. I really wouldn't worry about this movement belonging in a 105.003-65.

Like 2
With respect, that is not an Ed White, it’s a later 67/68 Pro so you are comparing apples with oranges as those typically have thin yellow lume which has a habit of falling off. EW lume does go a bit puffy, often shrinks away from the plots and can look like squeezed toothpaste in extreme cases. The colour on the OP watch is much more pumpkin than most -65 EWs which is a bit suspicious but perhaps the missing hand lume is a good sign. Unless it’s a deliberate relumer trick that is! Here is mine from early ‘66 so over a year before the OP watch was made, rather different in colour but not too far off in look. Please excuse the hair on the crystal.

IMG_5939.jpeg

Yours is nice. In the OP’s example, the lume is quite pumpkin, and it also bothers me that the hands are a lighter shade. Often, it seems like on original examples, if anything, the hands get darker than the dial lume.

Like 3
@TheBrimic - did you nail the watch??

:)

I did! Currently being serviced by a local watchmaker who works a lot with vintage Omega, I should have it back mid next week. He looked it over and said it’s a great example. I had time for a quick photoshoot before dropping it off.

Like 10
Congrats!
Really fun for you!

And do come back with new pictures after the service?

Like 2
Another Congrats!!

Ditto on wanting to see more pictures when you get it back from service!

My one and only experience buying an Ed White back in 2015 didn’t turn out quite as well as yours did :D ..

… but it certainly was a good learning experience for myself, and many others!

Let’s see if anyone (besides those who remember or already read my 2015 thread) can identify the problem here. This was the photo in the ad:

IMG_3067.jpeg

… a really nice, clean-looking, circa ‘63 caliber 321, right?
Edited:

Like 1
Another Congrats!!

My one and only experience buying an Ed White back in 2015 didn’t turn out quite as well as yours did :D ..

Let’s see if anyone (besides those who remember or already read my 2015 thread) can identify the problem here. This was the photo in the ad

I heard about that special 321. Limited NASA edition that comes with a paperclip...so the astronauts can tidy their documents in the shuttle lol.

Like 1
Another Congrats!!

Let’s see if anyone (besides those who remember or already read my 2015 thread) can identify the problem here. This was the photo in the ad:

IMG_3067.jpeg

Ah El Paperclip!

Like 2
I heard about that special 321. Limited NASA edition that comes with a paperclip...so the astronauts can tidy their documents in the shuttle lol.

Wah-Haha!! :p

Ah El Paperclip!
Well, I guess it was more notorious than I thought!

Yes, I still don’t have an original ‘vintage’ Ed White, but I do love it when someone gets a really nice one… without the paper clip!!

I did buy the ‘modern’ Calibre 321 however, and I love it (even without the paper clip, lol)

For those who didn’t see the wire/paper clip in my seller’s photo, I’ve highlighted it here:

IMG_3067.jpeg

Beware of evil :mad: Paper Clips!!! :D
Edited:

Like 3
Congrats!
Really fun for you!

And do come back with new pictures after the service?

It's back! The watchmaker said it's in amazing condition inside and out. The only watchmaker mark in the case was dated to '75 so who knows... it might have not been serviced for almost 50 years but it's running flawlessly now.

Like 10