Forums Latest Members

My 'most precious' to date has arrived!...then gone again...

1. sulaco Jan 29, 2015

Sometimes ... when i am alone at home... i also wear two watches... :eek:
    But dont tell anyone. :p
    Awesome watches you got there.:thumbsup:

Spacefruit and dougiedude like this.
  2. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jan 29, 2015

I have now settled on my temporary strap, until the Bulang comes; a well-worn Stowa calfskin:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 29, 2015

Yes! Avoid scaly exotic skins. Good thing you don't like bracelets as an original or period-correct JB after-market will cost several hundred $£€. Nice E-dubb you picked up! One for wearing and staring. One of very few watches that keep you from searching for the next one 'cause you're already there...

4. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jan 29, 2015

Thanks!

Yes, I thought going ahead with an EW would quelch the urge for the next up for awhile, but I'm still thinking a true Transitional would be nice to have, too...

genphideaux likes this.
  5. KstateSkier Jan 29, 2015

gorgeous!

dougiedude likes this.
  6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 29, 2015

Then you would be stuck with the 861 movement! And who wants a movement that's more robust, accurate, NASA tested and approved, and has better parts availability?
    Oh...
    Yes, a true Transitional would be nice :)

dougiedude likes this.
  7. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jan 29, 2015

Agreed!

But, in some defense of the 321, that's the movement that was in the first NASA tested and approved Speedmaster (105.003), when it won out over Rolex, Longines and the rest, to become the official watch of the Gemini missions.

I do like the other points you make, as the added robustness and parts availability only add to long-term wearability...

marco likes this.
  8. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jan 29, 2015

I think a certain watch repair man member here might disagree about the added robustness.

9. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jan 29, 2015

So, you know someone who doubts the 861 as being more robust than the 321?!

10. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 29, 2015

I believe I was schooled by our resident rock star on the merits of the 861 when I proclaimed the superiority of a c.321 column wheel versus cam lever...
    Suffice it to say, both movements kick ass. And while I still prefer a well-sorted 321 to the same 861, I cannot claim it is superior.

dougiedude likes this.
  11. Skv Jan 29, 2015

Beautiful vintage watch. Almost seems faded into blue :)

dougiedude likes this.
  12. 250scr Jan 29, 2015

That is nice, does it look or feel smaller on the wrist since it's dimensionally smaller?

13. Delbok Jan 30, 2015

Magnifique ! Congrats for this gorgeous timekeeper

dougiedude likes this.
  14. ock2915 Jan 30, 2015

Really nice , congratulations ¡¡¡

dougiedude likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 30, 2015

Doug - please see my reply to your latest email ASAP.

Cheers, Al

dougiedude likes this.
  16. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jan 30, 2015

It's my first Speedy, so I can't speak from experience, but I don't think so.

The only dimensional difference is the case width, and that's only because of the extra material between crown and pushers. Actually, width including crown is 1mm wider, but bezel is the same...

17. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 11, 2015

Sad:( update:

I had to send my 'most precious' back to the seller. The 321 inside turned out to be missing numerous parts, including the minute jumper(I think this is what it's called) where a wire was in its place ::facepalm2::. At least, that was what Al could see in the photo; who knows what else was missing! The timekeeping had been advertised as 'within Omega specs', but that also turned out to be quite false, in fact, it would only run for 22 hours first wind, 8 hours, the second, and timekeeping in any other position than dial up was all over the map.

The seller offered another EW for a premium, a small refund if I kept it, or a full refund if I returned it (at my cost). I chose the latter, since the repair/replacement of movement and/or parts wasn't worth it (if even possible to find), and I didn't feel I could trust that the other EW he had wouldn't have similar issues....

So, 'live and learn', all good now, my money is back, and the search will go on!:p

And I've already spent the refund on other watches:rolleyes:... focus? who needs focus?!?

18. TNTwatch Feb 11, 2015

That's sad for a good looking bezel! No wonder your cat seemed suspicious from the beginning. Can you post a picture of the movement?

dougiedude likes this.
  19. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 11, 2015

Yes, I should have paid MUCH more attention to her when it arrived... I don't give her enough credit!

Here's the seller's movement pic:

IMG_4951.JPG

You can see the wire just to the right of the bridge. Screw and (I think) spring also missing at that location..

Vitezi and apsm100 like this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 11, 2015

So just to point out the issue here with the missing parts, here is what the minute counter jumper parts should look like on a Cal. 321:

[​IMG]

There are 4 parts in total for this assembly including a screw, spring, and 2 pieces for the jumper itself. Here in the watch that was returned, these 4 pieces have been replaced with a piece of wire:

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

apsm100, chronos, Taybharr and 7 others like this.