Forums Latest Members

SOLD (Chuck Maddox) Holy Grail

1. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 12, 2022

IMG_9895.JPG

For your consideration, I'm listing this gorgeous Omega 376.0822 - also know as The (Chuck Maddox) Holy Grail - complete with a 1450 bracelet and 809 endlinks.

Most members here will know this reference, but if you're not familiar with it, you can find some good background information on Fratello, Davidoff Bros, and Chuck Maddox himself. There's also a website dedicated to this reference at Omega Holy Grail dot com.

I bought this watch in 2015 from a well known (at that time) here on OF. I sold it a while later to a fellow member who held it for about a year and a half at which point, I bought it back because I missed it so much (and said member was gracious enough to allow me to do so). I'm sure I'll miss it again this time around. I had it serviced in 2016, but I have no proof of that work (though that was when the English day wheel went in), so you're best to consider it in need of a trip to the spa to be safe. However, it does run well, keeps good time and all the functions work as they should.

This is a beautiful specimen of this killer reference. To the best of my knowledge, it is all correct and original (other than 2 bracelet links I added myself back when they could be bought easily and the English date wheel I had swapped in by my watch guy).

IMG_9860.JPG

The dial is fantastic with lume that has turned to a slightly yellowy tinge. You'll notice that all lume plots are complete with no chipping or missing indexes - it even has the lume at the 3 o'clock position. It seems to be pretty common that the lume at 3 often falls off or otherwise chips or flakes off with these dials.

The case is nice and clean. It appears to have met the polishing wheel once or twice but still retains original shape and finishing. There are no major dents or dings. The caseback is stamped correctly with the reference number.

IMG_9863.JPG IMG_9865.JPG IMG_9868.JPG IMG_9869.JPG IMG_9870.JPG IMG_9871.JPG IMG_9872.JPG
    Caseback.jpg
    (note: inside caseback pic is from seller's pics when I bought it. I don't really like opening valuable watches myself, but I can facilitate an updated pic if needed.)

The bracelet fits my 6.5 inch wrist nicely. There's room in the micro adjustment buckle to tighten it up a wee bit. Alternatively, if you need it bigger, 1450 links do come up on Chrono24 and EBay from time to time.

IMG_9873.JPG IMG_9874.JPG

The movement is clean and with the movement number being within the correct range for the reference. I'm including a picture I received from the seller when I bought it as I'm not keen on opening it myself. If you want more (or more current) pics, I will facilitate that. Just ask.

Mvmt.jpg

These can be tough to value. Other than ebay, Chrono24 and more recently the Omega Holy Grail site there isn't much information to go on. Since the Omega Holy Grail site is the most recent, I'm using the Value section there, and considering this on the lower end of "Good" though it could easily be in the Excellent rating with box and papers IMHO.

I'm asking $19,500 USD by wire I can share bank details or (Transfer)Wise info with serious buyers. Please feel free to make a realistic offer as I'm open to discussion about price. If you don't like the price or the watch, there are a few listed on Chrono24 with an average price of $28K USD you can check out.

The sale will include any parts replaced at service (not much) as well as the original German day wheel. I also have a small stock pile of parts for this reference such as main springs, crystals, and pushers - and the plastic movement support 'thingy', which is now impossible to find. I also have a brand new service dial I bought from Omega as well as a vintage service dial that was relumed. I even have a Speedy Tuetonic outfitted with a cal 1045 that wears the proper sized hands for the Grail (not the "fat" hands you often see on these). If you'd like to discuss any or all of those as part of the deal, I'm ready to talk.

For the watch's sake, please send any comments, corrections or criticisms to me via PM. If there's something that needs correction or amendment, I will gladly do so. Of course you can also post a thread in the open forums if you're looking for feedback from others.

I haven't sold many watches, but I do have several sales to my name - including several for pretty valuable watches. I can happily provide references if you want them and you can find out more about me here on OF by searching my username (oddboy).

I'd love to pass this along to a fellow collector who will enjoy the watch as much as I do, so step up if you're interested!

I will deal with potential buyers in the order they come in, but I don't want to discuss a sale for weeks with potential buyers of the tire kicking type. This is a great watch (and potentially a pile of spare parts) for a good price so don't hesitate.....

IMG_9885.JPG IMG_9904.JPG

Edited Jan 16, 2022
    blubarb, M'Bob, Pazzo and 34 others like this.
  2. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Jan 12, 2022

Hi,

where are you / is the watch located?

BR
    Hans

oddboy likes this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 12, 2022

A good question! The watch is with me in Toronto, Canada. I will ship pretty much anywhere that FedEx does with a few exceptions, at my discretion...

befobe likes this.
  4. 1972Steve Jan 13, 2022

I can vouch for oddboy. I have done a transaction with him and he is a gentleman.

GLWS

blubarb, JohnSteed, Zapatta and 2 others like this.
  5. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 13, 2022

an amazing automatic Speedmaster :thumbsup:

oddboy likes this.
  6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 13, 2022

Thank you to those that have made contact, but still no match yet.

Feel free to get in touch with an offer. You can't win if you don't play!

Taddyangle likes this.
  7. Paedipod Jan 14, 2022

THIS IS AS GOOD AS IT GETS

Watch and seller. Caps were intentional. Wish I were in the running…….:(
    this had better go to a good home.:mad:

M'Bob, Lonestar and oddboy like this.
  8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 16, 2022

price drop going into a new week (kids are back to 'in class' learning!).

now, $19,500. that's almost $10,000 less than the next available one on chrono24!

and if you are seriously interested, I am open to discussion about an offer.

holy grail wrist shot.jpg

M'Bob, George.A, JohnSteed and 5 others like this.
  9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 19, 2022

I know there's a buyer out there. Maybe this bump will get their attention.

don't be shy if you're considering an offer. I'm easy to talk to and pretty laid back.

note: I'm looking for a sale for this one, so thank you for the trade offers, but I'm just not looking for trades right now.

Edit: to add, watch is now also listed with our brethren over on WUS

Edited Jan 19, 2022
    adrian scott likes this.
  10. repoman Jan 20, 2022

Not many watches stop me in my tracks anymore... this is one of those; damn shame I quit my job in 2021 and can no longer indulge myself with something special like this. GLWS.

JohnSteed and oddboy like this.
  11. Drawarms Jan 20, 2022

Amazing Seller!

oddboy likes this.
  12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 21, 2022

Looks like the watch will remain in Canada, so maybe I can visit it once in a while. :D

Thanks to the buyer for making contact and thanks OF for the space. And thanks to everyone else who made contact or supported me by Liking or commenting on the post. I love this place.

blubarb, Seaborg, Pilot85 and 17 others like this.