Forums Latest Members

Cataract surgery tomorrow...

1. Rodentman Oct 4, 2020

Was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes which caused my vision to go blurry. I didn't know that until later, but went to the OD who said I had cataracts. Then after taking 1.5g Metformin for a couple of months my glucose went down to 108 from 258 and my good vision returned.

Still going forward with the surgery. Left eye tomorrow and right one 10-20. I am hopeful. We'll see...

Was advised to not bring valuables. So I guess I'll wear my $40 wood watch.

[​IMG]

2. adrian scott Oct 4, 2020

All the best for tomorrow Rodentman

Caliber561, Rodentman and schoolboy like this.
  3. JwRosenthal Oct 4, 2020

Best of luck tomorrow, glad you figured out the glucose and vision connection. We are our own best health advocates- never stop looking for solutions as doctors, as well meaning as many are, can only do so much.

And I think you should treat yourself to a repeater so you can still know what time it is when you are relaxing your eyes under a warm compress.

Rodentman likes this.
  4. Stewart A Oct 4, 2020

Best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery.

I had my eyes done in January and all is great, be sure to keep up with the drops --- very important! The difference was remarkable, like seeing light from a warm bulb versus a white light bulb - very dramatic. And great news regarding your BS and return of your vision, that is fantastic!!!

Rodentman likes this.
  5. Walrus Oct 4, 2020

Good luck, there are risks with everything of course but those cataract surgeries seem commonplace these days and although I don’t know I lot of people who have had it done the few I do said it went well and they noticed significant improvement. Hopefully you report the same when it’s all said and done. Anything with the eyes is quite nerve wracking regardless

Rodentman likes this.
  6. pw92676 Oct 4, 2020

Good luck. I hope all goes as well as planned and you will be seeing well soon.

Rodentman likes this.
  7. Rodentman Oct 4, 2020

Thanks for the best wishes. I have doubts about that repeater though. I have to pay $4k for the toric lenses as Medicare nor my supplemental plan will cover the incremental cost over standard implants. Yeah, the drops. The Ketorolac is for burning eyes. Main side effect is listed as burning of the eyes.

8. Evitzee Oct 4, 2020

Good luck on your surgery.....most of these procedures are well understood and pretty standard these days. I have glaucoma and have been taking drops since 1985....it is what it is. My doctor was saying the number of people who keep up with eyedrops is pretty low, less than 50%. The future is implants, they will install a little tank under the eye which will constantly dose the eye, and then you go in once or twice a year to top up the tank. It's in the pipeline she says and will be here within 10 years.

Rodentman likes this.
  9. schoolboy Oct 4, 2020

Best wishes :)

Rodentman likes this.
  10. janice&fred Oct 4, 2020

Good luck on the surgery and for sure it will all be fine! :thumbsup:

Rodentman likes this.
  11. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Oct 4, 2020

Praying for a successful surgery and speedy recovery, Rodentman. :thumbsup:

janice&fred, noelekal and Rodentman like this.
  12. RonJ Oct 4, 2020

Wishing the best for you, Rodentman.

I had cataract and Lasik surgery in both of my eyes last year.
    The results were really a big improvement.

I had worn glasses my whole life being near-sighted and now I have 20/20 vision.
    The Lasik procedure was able to correct my astigmatism too.
    I wear inexpensive reading glasses now.

The procedure took a lot less time than I thought.
    About 2 minutes for the Lasik and another 10 minutes for the cataract replacement surgery.

They did my surgeries about 5 weeks apart from one another.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Wryfox and Rodentman like this.
  13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 4, 2020

Best of luck with your procedure @Rodentman

Oddly enough the opposite happened to my eyes when I was diagnosed with Type 2 a few years back.
    I wear prescription sunglasses to drive and I suddenly realised my vision was 20/20 when I took them off.
    I was even legally signed off to drive without glasses.
    A couple of weeks on Metformin and my crappy eyesight returned!
    I was told that it’s something to do with dehydration of the eyeball (which changes the focal length) when your body is jettisoning fluid to get rid of excess sugar.

Professor likes this.
  14. BrianPankow Oct 4, 2020

I’ve had the surgery and have friends who have also gone through the process. Pretty easy pezzy.

15. JwRosenthal Oct 4, 2020

The body is truly an amazing machine- trying to compensate when something goes horribly wrong- and it keeps going! Having dealt with what happens when you are truly sleep deprived for the past 5 years (hence my abundance of late night posts on this forum), it's amazing how certain systems will shut down and others kick into overdrive trying to right a sinking ship. Our understanding of how it all works together is Byzantine to say the least.

16. michael22 Oct 4, 2020

Good luck

17. Farmer Oct 4, 2020

You'll be right mate

18. speedydownunder Oct 5, 2020

Good luck.

BTW if you are on tamsulosin/silodosin or other medications for an enlarged prostate make sure you tell your ophthalmic surgeon. Helps to avoid something called Floppy Iris Syndrome.

19. w@tcher Oct 5, 2020

Wish you the best and be quickly right back!

20. gbesq Oct 5, 2020

Best of luck. Hope everything turns out well.