Forums Latest Members
  1. Dogart1983 Feb 22, 2023

Anyone here have it done? I know each procedure is different and healing times are different as well. Found out that I need to get it done. I’ll most likely get it down within a week. About 2 weeks ago, the wife and I were babysitting for some friends and I literally went from one room to the next and my knee felt sluggish and I couldn’t fully extend or bend it. No pain, snap, pop or crack. Some slight swelling, nothing crazy and movement got better. I went to the ortho and got an MRI and I have what’s called a bucket handle meniscus tear on the inner part of my right knee. A cortisone shot and PT won’t fix this one.

I’m completely cool with it. Not upset, I’m actually surprised that I’ve made it this long (46 years old) and with all the stuff I’ve put my body through for work (law enforcement) and sports. Just wear and tear. I told a friend yesterday that I have no issues with getting surgery for being active and having fun.

Downtime won’t be too bad. They are removing the piece and not repairing it. That’s good and bad. Repairing it means being on crutches for a while, like weeks to months before being weight bearing. With how it tore and where it tore it can’t be stitched up. With them removing it could potentially cause issues later down the road. Not like I have a choice in this matter :)
    Thanks to all that have read this, I know it’s long

2. ghce Feb 22, 2023

Had both knees done about 2 years ago, not fun but the surgery was no big deal and the pain relief was immediate from pre surgery to post.

I suffered for about 2 years prior to surgery and was in constant unending pain getting close to a 9 in the end.

Obtaining the injuries was due to 2 separate incidents and they were a very minor thing that I did to get the tears, one was jumping off a low retaining wall only maybe 500 mm high and the other jumping down a level on play equipment about 650 mm

As they have probably told you exercise post surgery will aid long term recovery, stationary bike is best.

Dogart1983 and Duracuir1 like this.
  3. OmegaOwner2019 Feb 22, 2023

My recommendation would be talking to a few surgeons and discuss the pros and cons of different approaches.

Meniscus is not just meniscus. Having a botched/subpar job done would likely mean early knee arthritis and early knee replacement.
    Odds are you have 30-40 years in front of you, so you don't want to go under the knife again for your knee.

timoss, Turpinr and Dogart1983 like this.
  4. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Feb 22, 2023

Wishing you a rapid recovery.

Turpinr, Spruce and Dogart1983 like this.
  5. Dogart1983 Feb 22, 2023

Thanks. That’s definitely one thing that sits in the back of my head. I talked to another doctor and two friends of mine in PT and where it occurred in the knee there it won’t heal if they tried to repair it. Lack of blood flow to that area.

6. Dries Feb 22, 2023

I’ve had a miniscus repair (stitchings) done after a ski accident at 22yo (with reconstruction of torn acl). Full recovery with extensive physio just a little under a year, with first 2 months on cruches. Was told similarly that a simple cut-job would incur a very short down time only.
    Do try to get a second opinion. My first ortho completely missed out on the shredded acl (even with MRI ‍♂️)

Dogart1983 likes this.
  7. Turpinr Feb 22, 2023

Had my right meniscus (arthroscopy) done in 2014 and walked out of hospital without a problem DSC_0026_1.JPG
    Within 3 weeks I was back to running and couldn't wait to up the distance.
    Went back to work after 4 weeks which is when everything started going downhill.
    My job was manual and I was stood up all shift.I'm convinced if I'd had a more sedentary job my joints wouldn't have suffered over the years.
    I went to Wrightington Hospital last month with a view to a referral for a knee replacement only to be told my right hip needs replacing and that comes first.
    I've already had a hip resurfacing op on my left hip that's been fine (touch wood) buy Wrightington hospital don't do the resurfacing op anymore because of the failure rate.
    A lot of hospitals in the UK wont do the arthroscopy operations either

Dogart1983 likes this.