Forums Latest Members

Basic watchmaking tips - Oiling Part 1

1. Peter Marsh Dec 11, 2018

You want to know what kind and weight oil is put in your vehicle when serviced, no difference.

2. FREDMAYCOIN Dec 11, 2018

Archer, as always i truly appreciate all you do for our forum, and enjoy reading all your posts. What is the next step that you recommend after TZ courses? Thanks

DaveK likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 12, 2018

::confused2::

Assuming you are doing this on a hobbyist level, but I would look at either the AWCI if you are in the US, or you could do the BHI distance courses from anywhere. You could also learn from a willing local watchmaker if you could find one, but considering the amount of poorly executed service I see, I think going to a recognized source that has a stated curriculum is the best bet.

Of course if you are looking at this from the standpoint of changing careers, then going to watchmaking school full time is always a good option.

Cheers, Al

Sidreilley likes this.
  4. FREDMAYCOIN Dec 12, 2018

Thanks again and happy holidays.

5. TimtimeIntl Jan 9, 2019

Great resource on oiling. Especially for those of who are mainly self taught. Thanks, Tim

6. mjb Jun 5, 2019

Even for those of us who will never service their own watch (that would be me) these kinds of threads are very informative, interesting and enjoyable. Thanks everyone (esp. OP) for your contributions.

DaveK likes this.
  7. Swissmister Jun 5, 2019

So Quaker state or Valvoline? (Always think of AJ Foyt)

janice&fred likes this.
  8. Fredette Aug 11, 2019

Hi, I've recently met a watchmaker who will be calling it quits come December. He's 80 now with bad Parkinsons. This guy is great. Started working for Rolex in 1949 and later retired from Rolex. He'll be selling his tools when he finally retires and I was thinking that watchmaking might be a fun hobby and provide some side income too. Ive, however, had no formal training. So my question to you experts is: is this something you have to go to school for a couple years in order to do? Are there any other ways to pick up the trade while still keeping my job and just learn on the side? I would want a more in depth learning experience though. Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks guys

9. Deafcon Omega Qualified Aug 14, 2019

Classes with an actual instructor will be the best. I also can not take classes full time, so I have been taking week long classes at the AWCI in Harrison Ohio. I’m going to my third class there this fall. It’s a great place with some great people instructing. You would want to start with their watchmaking 100 class first.
    https://www.awci.com/courses/watch-100-introduction-to-watchmaking/

Fredette and Foo2rama like this.
  10. Fredette Aug 14, 2019

Thanks for the response. That's right around the corner! I'm just up in Dayton. How in depth do they go? And cost?

11. Deafcon Omega Qualified Aug 14, 2019

It is around $1000 for each class. The first one covers screwdriver sharpening, tweezer dressing, proper tool use, and a complete service, timing, etc, on a watch with an 6497 movement. My plan is to take 2 or so classes a year and work on my skill and knowledge over the next 4-5 years and then maybe take the CW21 exam. It’s more of a personal challenge and hobby for me. I have enough watches in my personal collection to keep me busy for quite a while.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 15, 2019

Deafcon has given you a good recommendation. If the watchmaker you are using now is agreeable, you might want to get some very basic lessons from him first. Although there will be a chance you could pick up bad habits from him, I think it would be worthwhile to understand if you are cut out for this before sinking a lot of money into buying his tools or taking courses. Not everyone has the dexterity or demeanor to do this kind of work, as it requires a lot of focus, and mistakes can be very costly. I often recommend that people start by taking the Timezone watch school courses - at least the first one that has you disassemble and reassemble a movement (no cleaning, lubrication, etc,.). Often that is enough to tell people if they think they can do this sort of work or not.

Also, just understand that when you turn this from a hobby into a money making profession (even on the side) there will be expectations from customers that you really know what you are doing, and you will have responsibility for caring properly for their watches.

Cheers, Al

Fredette, Caliber561 and pascs like this.
  13. Fredette Aug 18, 2019

Thanks for the response. The watchmaker I'm referring to is Chuck McKinney. Some of you who have taken the courses in Harrison may actually know him. I found out last time I was talking to him that he actually used to teach those classes. I think you gave a good suggestion to maybe ask for some private lessons first before paying for a bunch of stuff.

14. fryingtonite Jan 22, 2020

Fascinating insight.

15. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 26, 2020

Besides special alloys, Omega also experimented with different oils for the Alaska Project chronograph... lubricants is the correct word I believe

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 26, 2020

Moebius 9030 and 9040 are oils used for low temperature applications.

17. dbruns Feb 9, 2020

This is awesome content. I've read it at least a dozen times. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

18. markie916 May 26, 2020

Great article, thanks for taking the time to create it. Having just started my first watch repair I shall use your advice. I love the minute details you go into. Thanks mark.

19. BatDad Jun 2, 2020

Echoing the above post thank you @Archer for these articles. They are tremendously helpful for the hobbyist.

Could you perhaps elaborate a little on your decanting technique? Alternatively, are pipettes (one use, or cleaned) an appropriate technique to decant a small amount of oil?

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 2, 2020

Any sort of clean item that can be dipped into the oil bottle to pick up some oil and transfer it to the oil cup can be used. I clean the wire I use with alcohol and a lint free cloth before transferring oil with it. Plastic pipettes could be used, but typically these things have mold release agents on them when manufactured, so I would want to be sure that they are perfectly clean.

BatDad likes this.