Forums Latest Members

Arrivals, What Did You Buy Recently?(Watches)

1. vc fans May 20, 2019

vintage V&C , claw lugs ,triple calendar
    微信图片_20190520140345.jpg 微信图片_20190520140333.jpg 微信图片_20190520140340.jpg

2. Dan S May 20, 2019

And the same shill bidder was involved in the auctions for the fake IWC and the fake JLC. By the way, these are really bad fakes.

me1969 likes this.
  3. me1969 May 20, 2019

I reported the seller to eBay and informed them that all the watches this seller has sold were counterfeit and suggested that they, eBay, contact the buyers of those watches and inform them that there is a real possibility that they were sold fakes.
    Ebays response was that they can't do that but if the sellers file a claim they will support them.
    To me, that seems ridiculous but I did what I could.
    My sale was canceled, I was not required to pay for this knock-off.

jB1128, ConElPueblo and Dan S like this.
  4. Dan S May 20, 2019

Good for you, but too bad for the others, since one of the sales was for nearly $600.

iwc_fake.jpg

me1969 likes this.
  5. me1969 May 20, 2019

Yeah, I hope they get their pieces looked at and realize they're fakes before it's too late so they can recoup their money.

6. sliceoftime_ May 20, 2019

Heuer Monaco 1133G. Cal 11.
    IMG_20190520_184341_399.jpg

7. McKinley May 20, 2019

For some, my most recent purchase would be blasphemy and if the Squirrel was still here, I probably wouldn't post it, but hear me out on this:

A) I have no intention of keeping it.

B) I will use the funds from selling it to buy a vintage mechanical watch. (I promise)

C. It was only a $1 at a thrift shop, where I was actually looking for a vintage mechanical watch. (Again, I promise and pinkie swear this is the truth)

D) It came with a 10K gold company logo pin attached to the expandable band. Which I will sell for scrap gold or more if I can identify the golf equipment company or course it comes from and put the proceeds towards a vintage mechanical watch. (Again, on a stack of Bibles, I swear it's true)

E) The dial was too eye catching not to pick up and have for a short time for that single dollar. And it said Longines on the dial!

F) It just looked like the natural or as I am sure Dennis would say, the UNNATURAL progression from my 1951 Longines 14K President Coolidge model and I had to compare them side by each. (Honest, I don't want a quartz dress watch)

So, all joking aside here it is and if anyone can identify the company pin it would be much appreciated. Oh, and I was shocked when searching eBay that this model Longines "Seafarer" HT 1939 0152 actually has sold from $165 to $195 in the last 90 days. According to the seller, it is at least somewhat of a rare model. (I can't promise if that is true or not??)

20190519_180446.jpg 15583873110824159159236293780114.jpg 15583873754135206045810540183151.jpg 15583874489307831679036300995649.jpg

8. me1969 May 20, 2019

That looks like the Footjoy logo. They're a golf shoe manufacturer.

D YOUNG and McKinley like this.
  9. Swissmister May 20, 2019

Just got the first of two of these Wakmann TDRP. I like it. The smaller version would feel too small, though.
    40FC46CD-B284-4B18-A934-8A293D7BE467.jpeg

10. McKinley May 20, 2019

Thank you very much. Probably no cache there. I was really hoping it would be Augusta National or something that would make it worth more than melt. I don't know much about golf, but I am thinking Footjoy isn't going to do it. Thank you again, I do appreciate the ID and help.

T.

me1969 likes this.
  11. me1969 May 20, 2019

Ok, looking at another one since the last one was a dud.
    No pic of the movement but hoping someone recognizes this one and can give some advice...

Breitling1.jpg Breitling.jpg
    Jerseyhammer likes this.
  12. Dan S May 20, 2019

Another fake. Also, you are posting this in the wrong thread. This thread is to post photos of new arrivals. If you have questions about buying a watch, you should post a new thread in the relevant forum, e.g. Other Watch Brands.

However, I think you might be better served in taking a step back, reading, and researching. You aren't distinguishing the obvious signs of fake watches.

cristos71, McKinley and me1969 like this.
  13. me1969 May 20, 2019

What gives it away as a fake? Any information you can provide would be appreciated. I'm trying to learn what to look for.
    My apologies for posting in the wrong place, I'm not very computer savvy and navigating this site and it's myriad threads is daunting.

14. Dan S May 20, 2019

Everything gives it away, it's dead obvious. The font, the incorrect logo, the crooked writing, the wrong words on the dial and caseback. It's not how a real Breitling looks, and it's obvious to an expert in 2 seconds. Your goal should be to gather knowledge so that it's obvious to you too.

I'm not sure it's the best strategy for you to keep showing a bunch of horrible obvious fakes and asking experts to explain why they are fake; we will just be repeating things that have been posted over and over again. We all learned through hard work (if looking at thousands of photos and reading thousands of posts can be considered work), research, reading, and observation. OF is a great resource and archive, so read through old threads and sticky threads, participate and learn.

And take the time to browse through the forum enough to understand where you should post your questions; that's part of being a member.

cristos71 likes this.
  15. me1969 May 20, 2019

Dan, I'm sure at one point you weren't an expert. I'm very new to this and attempting to learn by asking questions.
    If that annoys you then simply ignore my post.
    And, I do read when time permits but looking through all relative threads isn't a quick process.

16. wagudc May 20, 2019

I am a newbie as well and I think Dan's advice is pretty sound. I am far from an expert at spotting fakes and redials, but I have improved over time. I wouldn't be in a rush to buy anything just yet. If you stick around and read the message boards it starts to sink in. I would say after seeing around 100 discussions of "is this real?" or "is this a redail?" I am pretty good about spotting obvious fakes and bad redails. I have enough confidence to buy vintage watches in the sub $100 range at second hand stores and garage sales. It is a good way to start. You can get decent (but not luxury) watches this way. I feel it is a good way to get going. Here are some of my recent finds. 20190520_153911.jpg 20190416_084256.jpg 20190407_153550.jpg

michael22, ajn3323, D YOUNG and 3 others like this.
  17. slique12 May 20, 2019

I don't believe Dan is being impatient. In fact, he has actually spent the time to write out a sound set of next steps. I'd recommend the same to anyone who is at such an early stage in their collecting. As you stated, these things take time and unfortunately there are not many shortcuts than to slowly but surely gather that knowledge. I'd also recommend you read another thread as it covers a few major areas on how to assess a good watch: https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

Good luck:thumbsup:

McKinley and me1969 like this.
  18. me1969 May 20, 2019

I didn't accuse him of being impatient. I said if he was annoyed he could ignore my post.
    Thank you for the link, I'll take a look at it.

19. Walrus May 21, 2019

Hey excuse me for jumping in but I need to ask a question. It’s not a real or fake question but I recently got a 1970’s dynamic. Now the crown does turn the hand and it does actually keep decent time but the movement is “moving” in the case. Can’t show pic of the movement as it’s already with the watch man. You may chide me as a noob tax if you wish but I bought it from a gentleman on Reddit who has been on the watch forum for six years and we exchanged emails, phone numbers and address and had several conversations prior to my purchase. I knew it needed a service and was missing the ring that secures the strap and I accepted that.
    I’ve made a couple vintage purchases recently all of which I got chided as the noob tax but each one required nothing more than a service which included a sixties constellation for 350 with the original bracelet that at the time of purchase only the second hands was running. It didn’t even need a new canon it was just loose but man I got jumped on for that here.

Now this is a different case. This a 70’s dynamic where the crown is removed and crystal is popped out with air. So this could be a 60 dollar fix up to a 400 dollar fix but remember I was not told this while we made negotiations for purchase. I have a pic on here already. I’m ready for my chiding but FYI I’ve been doing that to myself the past day or two. Just wanted to see if you guys have experienced this with a dynamic before or know anything about it. Yes I am and idiot I realize that. So I don’t need that pointed out. I took someone’s info at face value and trusted the intell to be accurate.

20. Lurk41 May 21, 2019

You're an... damn that was tempting! :D
    For that one you should definitly ask on a dedicated thread, because way more info and pics will be needed for proper help. As you said, could be a $60 fix if it is just that the crystal and crown were not properly attached during last service (in that case I will also question the quality of the service TBH), or a $400 one.
    Anyway, if you just received the watch you could contact the vendor about that. If he is honest and it happened because of transportation (of a badly packaged watch), he could partially reimburse you for your trouble.

Now my turn, it arrived yesterday:

IMG_20190521_183819_.jpg
    My new Nivada CASD, Valjoux 92!
    Don't mind the paint brushes in the background, I'm building a drawer to put all my watch related stuff ;) (and I do not wear a watch when doing so)

There is some slight scratch on the glass, nothing major, and some spots on the dial. They really seem to be "on" the dial and not discoloration. So maybe most of them can carefully be removed.. The seller had the same understanding about them, she decided to left them and let the buyer decide what to do - and also let him, well me, decide to take that risk or not :D

- The case has light scratches but overall it is in an amazing shape
    - The strap is so ugly, I wore it for the picture but that is it. I need to replace it asap and have already a few brands in mind. My Hamilton Khaki has the same 20mm lug width, maybe I'll steal its MN strap and try it on the CASD. (the original Hamilton stap on the CASD... that did not go well either - I fear CASD definitly requires a tapered strap)
    - The second hand is off by 0.2s and - I think - slightly bent :/ Given the slight bent, I think the offset is closer to 0.5s. As pictures were taken with the chronograph running, it was not visible when I decided to bid on it
    - The movement is perfectly clean, I fully wind it to check accuracy and PR: +10s the first 24 hours, laying flat. PR check: 30h and running, I can still hope to have it close to 39h :).
    - From what is written on the caseback, it was serviced in 66 - so less than 2 years after it was sold - and... 80. So, I'll definitly have it serviced. I just have to find a good watchmaker close to where I live (I found one that had good feedback on some french forums, but when I saw him for my 2 Omega, the customer relation was way below what I - or anyone - is entitled to. As skilled as he could be, he will never see me again)

In general, very happy with it! But I must admit the second hand worries me a bit because I am not sure that I can find another one.

Also, I was surprized that the bezel has no click at all, I always associated bezels with "clicks"... But as I never found how much click a CASD was supposed to have, and after having seen some CASD case without their bezel, I guess it is normal. Can someone confirm it?