Any concern buying a 12-13 year old unworn automatic watch?

I am shopping for my first heirloom quality watch (a specific model of Aqua Terra) and have come across one that is advertised as unworn with a 2011 date on the warranty card.

Is there any reason to be concerned that the watch has been sitting for over a decade? Should I insist that the watch be serviced, or at least factor in the cost of a service to what I’m willing to pay? Is there anything else I should be concerned about? FWIW this is being sold by one the blue chip grey dealers so I have no concerns re: authenticity.

I have to admit, the idea of finding one that is NOS is pretty compelling but I want to make sure I’m not missing something.

Thanks!

Main concern would be the rubber seals after 12-13 years. I'd avoid getting it wet until you have it pressure tested somewhere.

Can you show a photo of the warranty card that you are interpreting as a 2011 date from a major gray dealer.

If it’s cheap enough to factor a service as soon as you buy it. No issue.

There would be plenty of watches at NOS from the last 20 years. A boutique has a few left and range updates.

Once had a jewellery store in Australia that stopped selling Omega and cleared out all the stock and there were several great buys of 10-15 year old models

Can you show a photo of the warranty card that you are interpreting as a 2011 date from a major gray dealer.

Please do this. It might not actually be from 2011. Omega warranty cards have country codes on them, and the code for the US is 2011.

Lots of people interpret that as the sale or manufacturer date. The date of sale is always handwritten (and is often blank on gray market watches).

It looks like this site doesn't let you upload pics and I would prefer not to link to the original listing for fear of someone else snagging it. I am still on the fence about paying up for it (as you would expect, it is priced higher than similar watches that have been worn). If someone wants to host a cropped picture of just the card I can email it to them as evidence.

That said, I went back and learned more about the warranty cards and now realize that the 2011 I noted is just the country code for the U.S., the actual date window was never filled in. I also determined that this specific reference was only made between 2014 and 2017 so less than 10 years old and since it includes the original box in red leather, looks like it's either a 2014 or early 2015 model. If I decide to buy it I will get it pressure tested for peace of mind but at less than 8-9 years old I'm on the fence about the need for a full service right out of the gate.

Thanks for everyone's input, I sincerely appreciate it!

Please do this. It might not actually be from 2011. Omega warranty cards have country codes on them, and the code for the US is 2011.

Lots of people interpret that as the sale or manufacturer date. The date of sale is always handwritten (and is often blank on gray market watches).
I guess you wrote this while I was typing up my post.... thanks!

Unless you manipulated the image, that appears to be a blank warranty card, which makes it doubly worthless: even if it weren’t blank, it would be of little use since the watch is out of warranty anyway; but being blank there’s nothing to link it to this particular watch. Just to say, don’t factor the presence of that card in your decision making or pricing.

100% get it pressure checked. Suppose whoever does that can also check timekeeping, power reserve and amplitude to let you know whether a full service is in order.

I think that a warranty card will often be blank when a watch is purchased from a gray dealer.

Hight price, blank card, suspicious unworn watch from 10 years,... It cries "don't buy".

Not sure that it is actually 12 years old though, without knowing the reference#. Even if we knew that, dating to watch exactly is going to be essentially impossible because the warranty card is blank.

Not sure that it is actually 12 years old though, without knowing the reference#. Even if we knew that, dating to watch exactly is going to be essentially impossible because the warranty card is blank.

Wouldn't change much. OP is going to buy by that mysterious watch anyway 😀

Hight price, blank card, suspicious unworn watch from 10 years,... It cries "don't buy".
My choice is between an excellent condition but pre-owned watch with cards (no box) that have been filled in and an unworn watch with box and cards but not filled in. Watch 2 carries a 10% premium over watch 1. While pictures can never tell the whole story they both look fantastic and I'd likely be thrilled with either one... but the idea of one being a "new" watch seems worth the premium to me, all else being equal. I will probably take the same precautions with either watch because I have no way of knowing how much either has/hasn't been worn.

The exact year of the watch doesn't concern me. I want an AT8500 41.5mm with the vertical teak dial and the applied date window, seems the specific dial I want was made for about 4 years which is all the same to me.

Eventually, I'll be able to get the serial number. Won't that tell me exactly when whichever watch I buy was produced?

Eventually, I'll be able to get the serial number. Won't that tell me exactly when whichever watch I buy was produced?

If the image you shared is of the card that comes with the unworn watch, it might as well not have cards. Ref, serial, date field all blank. Unless that image has been edited to hide that info, a totally blank card is no card at all.

Yes, you could maybe get a production date from Omega, but not reliably from one of the websites that dates serial numbers as those work with older serials.

It sounds like you are looking at a specific dial that you know the production your range for, and that is good enough.

Probably not, but it doesn't really matter, does it. You already indicated that any time within the production window is the same to you.

NOS gets thrown around a lot. To be truly NOS I would want to see stickers on the case and booklets that have never been opened. Often times watches that were in good condition get polished and become NOS. In the end if the price is appealing to you then you should buy it. Just don’t pay a premium for new old stock unless it truly is. Even then if you’re going to wear it it’ll get scratched the second day you wear it so what was the point of it being unworn 😀

NOS gets thrown around a lot. To be truly NOS I would want to see stickers on the case and booklets that have never been opened. Often times watches that were in good condition get polished and become NOS. In the end if the price is appealing to you then you should buy it. Just don’t pay a premium for new old stock unless it truly is. Even then if you’re going to wear it it’ll get scratched the second day you wear it so what was the point of it being unworn 😀
That's fair and no, the watch does not have stickers and honestly, I don't think I'd be able to tell an "unworn" watch from one that's been a case queen and was only worn occasionally. The good news is I can visit this store in person and see the watches in the flesh before making my decision. I also intend this to be an heirloom that is passed down to my son so papers and box aren't necessarily essential, just trying to make a good decision. Thanks for your input 👍