Forums Latest Members
  1. AllHerMovements Feb 26, 2020

Hello! I am debating about whether or not I want to get a new Railmaster from my local AD or if I want to buy it online. The grey market prices for a new one are as low as $3600! I will go in tomorrow to see if my AD will give me a discount (20%, 30%??) but even with some discount I am likely to pay more in store overall. The thing is: I really value the conversations with other watch enthusiasts that you can have at the AD and I have visited this place three times before. So I don't mind paying more than the grey market price if it means that I'm also paying for those great conversations we have had.

BUT I guess I have to decide just how much those conversations are really worth. If the AD comes down on the price, I have to decide if paying $1000 more than I really have to is worth it. It's a tough call. I feel like no matter how much money you have, who doesn't want to save $1000 off a luxury item? I'm thinking here that if the AD went down to $4600 out the door, that's still $1000 more than buying it grey market with no taxes, etc.

I don't happen to believe that we should always go for the lower price for goods because small business are important but I guess my principles are going to be put to the test! Anyone have any insight on this "dilemma"?

Also, how do watches get on the grey market in the first place? Is it that ADs are dumping/selling items at a discount to the grey market because they can't move them? Why not pass those savings/discounts directly to the consumer instead? I have this choice but I feel like ADs are contributing to the problem if they are getting rid of the watches out the back door instead of heavily discounting them direct to consumer.

Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated!

Radiozoop likes this.
  2. Dan S Feb 26, 2020

3. KingCrouchy Feb 26, 2020

If you like discussions with other watch enthusiasts just join local Watchclub like RedBar and buy your Watch on the grey market.

SwissMe, Graemega, Gamma and 3 others like this.
  4. Evitzee Feb 26, 2020

An odd first post, but that seems to be the norm these days. Many value the hand holding, the discussions and camaraderie of the sales staff and availability of service or help when needed, others go for the lowest price from a good grey marketer. As stated, there are tons of threads on this topic. Read, research and make your own decision.

Edited Feb 26, 2020
    AllHerMovements likes this.
  5. AllHerMovements Feb 26, 2020

Doh! Rookie mistake. You are correct, there are so many threads on this and now I'm catching up. All sides of this have been covered. Yes, it was a weird first post. I'll make another one properly introducing myself but first let me read around some more. It's easy to miss stuff when browsing from the phone. Thanks to each of you for humoring me!

Jas, FBPB, BlackTalon and 1 other person like this.
  6. ExpiredWatchdog Feb 27, 2020

There is some value in a relationship with an AD, depending on what you see your as your future buying habits. You are also buying a full factory warranty although many GM (Gray Market) watches will come with stamped cards as well. It really boils down to the actual price and how much risk you want to take.

That being said, I've bought most of my watches GM.

7. Katana Feb 27, 2020

If you can get $1000 less than an AD’s best offer from the grey market, and you can authenticate the watch, it seems like a nobrainer. Even if the watch has issues you could send it to Omega for a full service and still come out ahead, and have a 2 year warranty on the service. Just depends how much you value having a relationship with the AD and if that relationship is worth the extra $1000. Also getting new from an AD should come with a 5 year factory warranty, so that may play into your decision.

8. AllHerMovements Feb 27, 2020

Update: well, folks, best laid plans! I went to the AD, a family owned store that I really like, and I was all ready to play hard ball for my beloved Railmaster. And... even though they offered me 25% off and no taxes (I live only a few minutes away but it’s just over the state line so I can buy and have it next day shipped to me), none of the Railmasters looked good on my wrist! Something was off. I love looking at the dials and it was between the denim one and the black one but neither one looked right on me. I kept looking down and not loving it.

So then it was between the Seamaster 300 and an IWC Mark XVIII Le Petit. I was surprised to like the Seamaster 300 because it is a bit beefy for me. I stared at those two watches forever, it seems. Again great discounts were offered on both but in the end, the IWC won out! I cannot believe it. It’s beautiful and fit me perfectly. It was priced BETTER than the grey market offers I see on Chrono 24 with the discount, no taxes, and they gave me a bag of goodies.

I have hopes that I will find a Railmaster ‘57 to try on in person or that Omega will do more with this model and I’ll own one someday.

Anyhow, after all the anxiety over whether to buy online or in person, I have to say the in person experience was amazing. I felt good. We talked about watches. The owner talked about their store history. The young salesman is the grandson and so passionate about watches. I was glad to finally give them a sale after window shopping for months. And I got a great price on a watch I wouldn’t have considered if I had only ever seen it online. It completes my collection and now for sure I’m never ever ever buying another watch again.

Keef Richards, PhilF, Jas and 8 others like this.
  9. Jeeper Feb 27, 2020

10. Jeeper Feb 27, 2020

Any pics of IWC??

NYCwatchgal and AllHerMovements like this.
  11. Evitzee Feb 27, 2020

Always a good outcome if you can buy locally and get a good price. Win-win.

Which model did you get: Chrono or time only? Strap or bracelet? Enquiring minds want to know.

Edited Feb 27, 2020
    ChetBaker, Jas and AllHerMovements like this.
  12. AllHerMovements Feb 27, 2020

I’ll have better pictures once I actually have it tomorrow!

C2E27556-F40D-4EF7-BA23-BE4468A2A8E9.jpeg
  13. Evitzee Feb 27, 2020

Very nice.

14. wolfe44 Feb 27, 2020

I love that watch, particularly the bracelet design

Buz-lh and AllHerMovements like this.
  15. ExpiredWatchdog Feb 27, 2020

Win - Win!

Congrats on the new watch.

16. NYCwatchgal Feb 27, 2020

Congrats on the IWC! I love mine too. Welcome to the club!

17. AllHerMovements Feb 28, 2020

I can’t tell you how surprised I was to end up with the IWC over the Railmaster. I was somewhat interested in the Spitfire but would have liked it more on a bracelet. The Mark XVIII wasn’t even on my radar. I like that shopping in person led me to something that was pleasantly unexpected. I know IWC doesn’t get a lot of love but I can’t wait to enjoy mine!

NYCwatchgal likes this.
  18. mayankyadav Feb 28, 2020

If you dont mind telling what was it that you paid him after the discount.

19. AllHerMovements Feb 28, 2020

My discount was 25% off retail. I didn’t do the math in the store. I just thought the final price that he offered was great for this particular watch and so I took it. Then I did the math in the car and was even happier about it. :) Maybe I caught them on a slow day or maybe this is typical for the watch. I dunno. Like I say, it’s better than what I was seeing on Chrono24 but maybe if you dig around you’d find a seller offering it even cheaper.

20. JTridesbikes Feb 28, 2020

More pictures please. That is a beautiful watch.

Jas likes this.