Forums Latest Members
  1. maine-iac1 Oct 11, 2018

Folks:

I'm ready to pull the trigger on an Omega PO 39.5. It'll be my first "really nice" watch.

I must admit I'm bewildered by the purchasing options. I live in a state where there's no Omega dealer, so the world is my oyster. That's both good and bad when it comes to purchasing options. Some authorized dealers are willing to offer significant discounts, then there are grey market dealers like Joma and Chrono24, and, finally, there are some that are in between (non-authorized dealers that somehow get AD watches with warranties). There's also used, but those prices aren't so far off from the other options.

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam but if you're feeling charitable, I could use some tips/thoughts.

PeterT and noelekal like this.
  2. Marty McDawg Oct 11, 2018

Browse the sale forums here within OF. There are several new PO for sale from good sellers. Most are “Grey” market.

3. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Oct 11, 2018

it's hard to beat joma's discounted and sales pricing anywhere for a new model

4. dinexus Oct 11, 2018

Personally, I'd go through a reputable dealer on the forums who'll get you the best price, but with the proper warranty. Personally, I don't find the additional discount found through Joma worth the risk.

I've bought from "mdgrwl" (just do a search for his name on the OF sales forum) in the past, and gotten a good deal with all the fixings and no hassle. Super nice guy. And if he doesn't have the PO listed, he should be able to order it for you.

5. Slowpoker Oct 11, 2018

Chrono24 is usually overpriced depending on the watch you're after. However you can haggle and negotiate on there too and sometimes you can get an excellent deal!

The forums here are a literal gold mine for watch sales, just browse around and see what tickles your fancy!

Other than that an AD offering very good discounts are another option. These are the only options I would consider in my opinion.

noelekal likes this.
  6. maine-iac1 Oct 12, 2018

Thanks, I like the idea of grey market pricing, but I also like the idea of a five-year factory warranty. I hope that I can post a wrist shot on here soon.

noelekal likes this.
  7. sah Oct 12, 2018

5 years?

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 12, 2018

Most new Omega’s are 5 year warranty. As he alluded too grey market normally does not have a warranty.

noelekal likes this.
  9. Slowpoker Oct 12, 2018

It's kind of a trade-off in most cases.

5 years warranty, AD/OB discount but higher price still or higher discount but potentially less/no years of warranty via grey or secondary market.

It's up to you what's more important, I'm sure an AD or OB will give you a decent discount along with the full warranty but it's up to you to find a model you like firstly and then shop around.

EDIT: AD's are best for discounts, according to Foo2rama OB's generally do not discount.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 12, 2018

OB’s generally don’t discount.

11. Slowpoker Oct 12, 2018

Noted, I've changed my original post to reflect what you've said.

It's great to learn new things on this forum.

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 12, 2018

Is that a US thing? Here in Europe the longest warranty is 4 years for the silicon balance in-house movement models. A new Speedy only gets 2 years.

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 12, 2018

I could have sworn my 3313 co axial was 5 years. You might be right though.

14. sah Oct 12, 2018

My USA co axial 2017 purchase SMPc is 4 with factory card warranty. Maybe 5 in the past but ai do not know any with 5 years now. Some new brands are less than 4.

15. maine-iac1 Oct 12, 2018

I thought the PO with the newer coax movement had a five-year warranty. I've seen a few advertised that way. But hey, I could be wrong. I'm a noob, after all. Regarding pricing, it seems that some ADs will go as low as 20 percent off. I haven't done better than that. Anyone do any better than that?

Edited Oct 12, 2018
  16. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 13, 2018

I have a 3313 movement Speedy. It had a 3 year warranty when sold new in 2013. My 2018 60th Anni LE Seamaster got 4 years. My ST1 got 2 years only. It is based on the movement design AFAIK.

Foo2rama likes this.
  17. Slowpoker Oct 13, 2018

I've not heard of a better discount at the AD without becoming friendly with them. But I've seen quite a few co-ax PO watches on sale here at huge discounts, like up to 40 or 50% off according to some sellers I believe.

So it's up to you, buying off of here from a trusted seller is a very good way to get what you need at a great price. But buying from an AD Is also very good.

What matters more to you?

Warranty or saving?

18. maine-iac1 Oct 13, 2018

I'll likely go the AD route or used. The watch was announced in 2016 and released in 2017, so there should be a few used ones with substantial warranty left. Thanks for the thoughts.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 13, 2018

Nope - 4 years max. at the moment.

Cheers, Al

Foo2rama likes this.
  20. inchpincher Has your missing inches Oct 13, 2018

Have you tried the watch on?