Forums Latest Members

please school me... purchase from AD vs. grey market dealer

1. chickenman26 Aug 30, 2014

I'd rather support my local dealer and get the warranty and full kit. But when a retailer offers discounts on every new Omega model, often more than a $1500 discount, that can be appealing. This particular seller has a bricks & mortar store, offers a warranty through them same length as Omega, provides all boxes, manual, and hang tag, but no red cards. So aside from possible warranty repair issues, what am I not understanding? Thanks for all comments.

Stu

fskywalker likes this.
  2. Lee CL Aug 30, 2014

The extra you pay when you get from a AD - peace of mind, factory warranty, personal touch.

watchme likes this.
  3. bvertz Aug 30, 2014

There are websites that sell counterfeit Omegas and Rolexes for $100-200. They include the boxes, cards (not completed) and hang tags. And they're illegal to buy or sell because they infringe on trademarks and patents, as well as import/export laws.

Are you sure the discount retailer that you're considering isn't selling those?

If you patiently follow the sales on this forum and others where collectors hang out, you can often buy a "LNIB" or "MINT" watch at a discount. They will come with boxes and cards. Some even have manufacturer warranties left on them. I'd be cautious about buying a "new" watch from a dealer that can't supply red cards unless it's a vintage watch that can be authenticated from markings on the case and movement.

Doc Savage and Mark Farrell like this.
  4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 30, 2014

IMHO, the simple answer is unless it is NOS, don't buy new if you are worried about residual values. Whether people like it or not, depreciation on watches is worse than cars - probably because of the relative price point. Almost any new watch will drop in value like a stone for years, until it becomes collectible (if it ever does) Grey market examples are usually harder to sell on because, during the warranty period it is unlikely to be honoured by the manufacturer and afterwards, people are looking for originality. A large percentage of the grey market Omegas have the serial number on the lug polished out, thus destroying the originality.

5. LeDave Aug 30, 2014

I bought mine from an AD. I wanted the 007 version at the time I bought mine, but the only Omega AD in Minnesota didn't have anymore full size 41mm 007 Bond variant of the SMPc. I saw one online for much cheaper that I could buy, but I wanted to buy from an AD to get the actual Omega warranty and knowing that it came from an AD, it would be in good working condition. I ended up not getting the 007 41mm, and ended up with the regular SMPc instead. Bonus is that my AD gave me 125 dollars of in-store credit to spend, just from buying the SMPc. I will probably spend it if anything is needed with my SMPc

6. msp1518 Aug 30, 2014

For me, buy a nice vintage piece if you do not want to buy from an AD. When buying new stick to AD. Especially on some of the newer Omegas with 4 year warranties. That's not worth going without. And it's well known you can find a nice discount if you are patient.

I'm having Archer build me a SM300 and as you may know that's an entirely different kettle of fish.

My first Omega was a very nice but pre-owned Seamaster Professional 200m Pre-Bond. Love it. But the first one I bought wasn't as nice as advertised. It took patience to find a second one and even that was annoying as it was a bit of a pain verifying its authenticity.

I'd love a Titanium blue Planet Ocean, but if that day ever comes I will find an AD willing to give me a deal. I won't tempt the grey market on a such a beast when an AD gets you a 4 year warranty. That being said... the Planet Ocean I actually want is the now discontinued 45mm 2500d. But that may never happen.

Mark Farrell likes this.
  7. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 30, 2014

Its highly unlikely that I will ever buy a new omega again, reason being their annual price increases which in most cases are unjustified in my opinion. But if I were to buy new I wouldn't hesitate to go grey market. you may be able to get a decent discount from an authorised dealer now, but those discounts are one of the reasons Omega are shedding franchises left right and centre. I doubt that there will be any choice but to pay full price at a boutique five years from now if you want a new omega.

8. chickenman26 Aug 30, 2014

There's a lot of truth in this. I visited the boutique today and was treated like royalty. But... we're talking about a $6K watch, plus $600 tax.

I appreciate all of the thoughts and comments, so let me bounce this back to you. The Ebay retailer is one most of you would recognize. It has over 11,000 feedbacks over 14 years with glowing reports from purchasers, so I doubt they're selling fakes. If they were, Ebay would have closed them down by now. Their returns policy is free exchange, but a return for refund will incur a 10% restock fee, so best be sure what I want before ordering. Warranty is through them, but unless they sent it to Omega or an AD, I wouldn't use their warranty. The savings including not having to pay tax is around $2500, and I could use a bit of that if necessary to send the watch to Omega for repairs and then have a 2 year genuine Omega warranty.

I understand $2500 is a drop in the bucket to some, but it's quite significant to me. I've still got every watch I bought since 1984, so resale value down the road doesn't concern me too much. My main concern at this point is feeling like a rat if I do an end run around the boutique after being treated so well. Maybe I'd get over it. Ya think? Or should I just bite the bullet, stop whining, and fork over the cash to the boutique?

fskywalker likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 30, 2014

For me I'm not trying to buy a boutique experience or their personal touch, but a watch. If you have found a vendor that is giving you a good deal on a legit watch, then I see no reason to pay boutique prices. Sure take their warranty with a grain of salt, but as you pointed out, you could pay to have the watch serviced several times over with what you are saving.

The boutiques operate on a no discount basis, and in deliberately doing this, they know they will lose some sales. I would not worry about buying it somewhere else.

I have never paid full price for a new watch, and I never will.

Cheers, Al

wulfowitz, George.A, oneover and 12 others like this.
  10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 30, 2014

If you consider getting jammed up the arse at full price a "personal touch", go for it.

Jas, JS760 and The Father like this.
  11. Lee CL Aug 30, 2014

There are pro and con of buying from AD or a grey market.

If you are a watch collector, the expertise and the knowledge you have on watches will help you very much when purchasing from a grey market. I have come across in a forum that the watch was made so real that only by opening up and see the movement than that poor guy found out that he got a replicas.

However, most of us are likely to make our first, maybe only one purchase in our lifetime, we lack of the kind of expertise to really tell whether the watch is real or not, furthermore, we can make use of their services by trying out all the watches on display and decide which one you like.

Like for example, I have wanted a speedy pro for quite some time, however, end up getting a SMPc after trying out both and a few other watches and find that the SMPc more suitable on my small wrist. You will never get to try on the watch if you purchase from an online grey market.

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 30, 2014

But you can try one on at a AD and then go grey :oops:

13. chickenman26 Aug 30, 2014

Thanks for the insight, Al. The reason I feel a bit like a rat is that I've tried on a lot of watches at the boutique and at an AD and taken up their time. I think if the difference were "only" five or six hundred bucks, I'd buy locally. But as things are, buying locally would be like setting $2500 on fire. There's also a member of this forum who sells discounted, so that's another option. I'll mull it over for a while before pulling the trigger.

Stu

14. Lee CL Aug 30, 2014

oh, if the difference was $2500 for a BNIB, well, I rest my case. I will get from grey market.

15. Lee CL Aug 30, 2014

I don't feel 'right' for the poor guy to entertaining me for a hour and then walk away.

pkulak, watchme and ulackfocus like this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 30, 2014

Have looked at boats and been taken out on the water and taken up to 3 to 4 hrs of a salespersons time and they love getting out of the shop for a test drive (never been pressured to buy)

I would say as little as 1 or 2 of about 10 people who walk in a Boutique / AD would buy a watch. That,s what they do for a living like car salesmen.

17. Lee CL Aug 31, 2014

How trustworthy is Chrono24? Can I say that most of the watches sold there are real?

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 31, 2014

All the sellers are different, chrono24 isn't a dealer its a marketplace

19. chickenman26 Aug 31, 2014

Authentic Watches in LA was the seller I was considering. But after talking to forum member Kringkily, my opinion is it's worth doing business with him for the trust level and to get the genuine Omega 4-year warranty on the Master Coax I'm looking for. Pics if it happens.

Stu

20. Captjon Aug 31, 2014

I was in the same boat for a while. Grey market was $2800 cheaper than local AD but after thinking on it and reading everything I could I decided to go to a AD and found one cheaper than my local AD and I get the 4 year Omega warranty. The grey market dealers have great prices but some negative reviews of them made me rethink that route. The new 9300 movement and having so few people trained to work on it also kept me away from going grey. i was willing to pay the extra $800 to go through AD and get the Omega warranty. Grey market dealers offer their own warranty but that's sounds iffy to me.