Forums Latest Members

new to forum: advice on grey market speedy vendors

1. habsmd Nov 18, 2015

Hey Guys !

Looking to buy a new speedmaster pro with 1863 movement on grey market and was wondering if you all had any advice to avoid scam. Leaning towards authenticwatches.com since the price is pretty good and has original serial number with box and papers. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help
    Mark

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 18, 2015

3. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Nov 19, 2015

Regarding authenticwatches.com, when you say 'box and papers' it's highly improbable you'll get the manufacturer's warranty card. This is not just an authenticwatches.com thing, but is true for virtually all grey market outlets. Otherwise, they wouldn't be grey market. :)

Many grey market outlets offer their own 'warranty' in lieu of the manufacturer's warranty, but I wouldn't count on the grey market guys to be willing to do much for you if your watch actually develops a problem during their warranty period. I've observed one case in particular where the grey market outlet vigorously resisted repairing a watch that was under their private warranty. Personally I don't see that as a big issue, as the price discount you get with a grey market outlet can be worth the value of several repair jobs done by an authorized service center.

Edited Nov 19, 2015
  4. abrod520 Nov 19, 2015

I've heard some horror stories about authenticwatches.com as I've been looking into making a stupid purchase lately. The terms you agree to when buying the watch make it extremely difficult for you to return it if it arrives with a problem (which they have in a vast majority of those stories).

Generally, I'd only purchase from them if you can't find what you want on the secondary market. Remember, the Speedmaster hasn't changed much over the years; a cheap 3570.50 from a few years ago will be almost identical to a new one.

5. habsmd Nov 21, 2015

Hey Jones in LA; thanks for the reply. I understand you don't get manufacturer warrantee with grey market and I'm ok with that. As long as the serial number is on the watch and not scratched off, thats what I care about. Should I need repairs, I'd bring it to an authorized dealer for repair anyways since I wouldn't trust the grey market guy I bought my watch from to repair it. Should I need it repaired, the cost of repair will def be less than the $2000 I save buying it grey market vs Authorized dealer. I just wanted to know if authenticwatches or jomashop or prestigetime are legit in terms of getting me a REAL and NEW omega (and not a fake). Thanks again for your help.

Mark

Jones in LA likes this.
  6. habsmd Nov 21, 2015

Hey Abrod520 !! Thanks for your help. I would much rather have a brand new unworn grey market watch vs a pre-owned since I don't know how much I can trust any independent seller of pre-owned watch. I don't know if that watch has been repaired (and if so, what kind of parts were introduced into the piece) and I don't know if there have been any issues with it. From the research and reading you've done, what are the best grey market vendors? Any thoughts on jomashop or prestigetime ?

Thanks again for your help.

Mark

7. abrod520 Nov 21, 2015

Oh hi Mark,
    I'm not sure why you don't trust resellers - some of them, especially those here like @Kringkily have earned their trustworthy reputation many times over. Considering a mechanical watch isn't likely to require repair or replacement parts for upwards of 10 years if serviced properly (interval is ~5yrs or so), and that parts for Cal. 861 / 1861 are readily available, I'd say you could find a decent Speedmaster without any real risk.

I would put my trust in resellers long before I'd trust any grey market dealer - the only reason I would ever buy from a grey market dealer is if they had a model of watch that I just couldn't find on the secondary market, and didn't want to take the depreciation hit on buying it new. At that point, if you're willing to spend the extra $1000 on a grey-market watch without its original warranty, why not stretch another $1-2000 and just buy from an authorized retailer? ;)

habsmd likes this.
  8. Kwijibo Nov 26, 2015

any experience from Jomashop or Prestige time by the way?

9. habsmd Nov 26, 2015

I don't have any experience buying online. This will be my first. Leaning towards Jomashop but also considering authenticwatches.

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 26, 2015

I bought a Hamilton from Joma a while back. Process was simple and straight forward. Came with box, serial, etc, but no Hamilton warranty. Sold it on after a few months on the wrist.

Generally, it was fine.. but the watch was only a few hundred dollars.

I'd still recommend used market, here on OF specifically.. kringkily is top notch.

11. chickenman26 Dec 1, 2015

You haven't been here long enough to realize it yet, but buying a new Omega through Kringkily is a zero risk proposition. You'll get it at a price competitive with the grey market, but it'll come with an Omega warranty card stamped and dated by an AD and the watch probably still sealed in the clear plastic box...just the way it left the factory. No need to worry about the possibility of dumping some of the savings into watch repair. BTW, Omega non-warranty service on a chrono is over $700.

NT931 likes this.
  12. habsmd Dec 1, 2015

Thanks for your help, i appreciate it.
    Is there a way to see everything kringkily is selling or is the only way to simply comb through the sales forum to find his stuff one by one ?

13. chickenman26 Dec 1, 2015

You can check his seller feedback and items for sale and previously sold in the sales section of this forum, and use the search function to find threads thanking him and showing the purchases. Also Google him. This isn't the only place where he's well known.

14. habsmd Dec 1, 2015

thanks for your help !!! will post pictures once I pull the trigger on this purchase
    any other sellers you guys recommend ?

15. abrod520 Dec 1, 2015

You can also message Kringkily with requests if he doesn't have what you're looking for in stock. It may take a few days to a few months depending on your request, but he'll do that for you.

16. habsmd Dec 1, 2015

thanks !! yea i just send him a private message asking what he's currently selling
    any other reputable sellers you know of ?

17. abrod520 Dec 1, 2015

Hmm, not so much for newer watches. You could try todreamawatch, either Google him or check him out on eBay. Also go with WatchRecon.com, I see a number of newer Speedmasters for sale often, though I can't personally vouch for the sellers. Still, just a tiny bit of homework will help you figure out whether or not they're worth doing business with ;)

18. MTROIS Dec 1, 2015

Just dealt with Sergey at todreamawatch over the weekend and he is a TOP seller. Others such as takuya or davidSW to only name a few over at TheRolexForum are also top notch.

In a nutshell: why buy grey market when you can get similar deals or better with manufacturer's warranty??

19. habsmd Dec 2, 2015

do you think its unreasonable of me to be apprehensive about pre-owned watches ? I dont know if the piece has ever been damaged or not. If it was sent in for repair, was the person who repaired it certified by omega. Were certain parts replaced with non-omega parts ? Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, just trying to learn as much a I can before making the purchase. Thanks again for your help.
    Mark

20. MTROIS Dec 2, 2015

Mark, these are all very valid questions but short of writing a book to answer them, in a nutshell here would be my most important pieces of advice:
    - always buy the SELLER first. This means, only deal with very reputable shops, sellers or official boutiques. These people would be able to answer all your questions and more.
    - secondly, do not rush into your purchase. Keep reading through old threads as many of these points have been covered before. Just take your time. The hunt for your next watch is one of the most enjoyable portion of this hobby.

Good luck.

PatrickJ likes this.