Forums Latest Members

Getting ready to buy my first Omega...

1. jmvdude Mar 26, 2019

Hello all!

My name is Jason, I'm a relative newcomer to watch collecting but have been reading HODINKEE for a couple years now and have gotten pretty deep, conceptually; I just haven't had the opportunity to buy many watches yet! My fifth anniversary is coming up, and my wife decided she wants to get me my first 'nice' watch. We went shopping today, and looked at several different things I knew I liked (Omega, Rolex, Tudor, Breitling). We both agree that the Speedy Pro Hesalite is the one (although the FOIS is a very close second).

We visited my (relatively) local Omega Boutique, and had a great experience. The sales guy was super helpful, knowledgable, and friendly. I would overall prefer to buy here, but this is a spendy purchase for us and the idea of a grey market watch (and associated discount) is tempting. Do you have suggestions on the best places to look for grey market Speedies, being certain that I'm getting an authentic watch and a good deal?

Likewise, what's the general consensus on grey market vs. boutique?

Aside from that, if anyone has any general suggestions or thoughts on the topic, I'm interested to learn. Also, if anyone has any considerations regarding the FOIS vs Pro that might change my mind?

Thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward to reading and learning more here.

- Jason

2. harbwe5 Mar 26, 2019

Welcome and congrats on landing on an amazing watch. My two cents, as an owner of a Speedy Pro hesalite and a 60th anniversary Speedy, is to buy from an AD. Many also recommend trusted sellers. You'll be able to get a great price (though maybe not quite as low as the greys) and the full 5 year Omega warranty which you won't get from a grey market dealer. I haven't yielded to the persistent draw of vintage yet, but are you sure you want a new watch?

rob#1 and Foo2rama like this.
  3. omegaswisst Mar 26, 2019

Hi @jmvdude and welcome to the forum.

Take your time in making a decision on where to buy from as there are pros and cons for each.

The Hesalite Speedy Pro is a great watch as also are many of the re-issued watches such as the FOIS and 60th anniversary Speedmaster. It's always good try on the watches you are considering and important to buy what you personally like. I also like to learn about the history of each particular reference.

If you decide to go second hand there are some great sellers on this forum so have a look in the "Private Watch Sales" and "Watches for Sale" sections. You can also check out feedback on sellers in the "Seller Profile and Reviews" section.

I've listed a couple of previous threads on the topic. Good luck with your search.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/benefits-of-buying-from-omega-boutiques-and-ad.70853/

https://omegaforums.net/threads/looking-for-my-first-luxury-watch.91697/

https://omegaforums.net/threads/pros-and-cons-of-buying-on-the-gray-market.3941/

https://omegaforums.net/threads/new-to-forum-advice-on-grey-market-speedy-vendors.31838/

connieseamaster likes this.
  4. Time Bandit Mar 26, 2019

One advantage of buying from an Omega boutique is that you will get the ability to purchase future limited editions that are boutique exclusives such as the upcoming Apollo 11 50th anniversary Speedmaster or the new Seamaster New York limited edition...both are only available to customers with a previous history of buying a watch from a boutique.

5. REckroat Mar 27, 2019

Welcome Jason and congrats on the upcoming anniversary!

Personally, I’ve not yet purchased from grey market dealers such as Jomashop. To me, in spending that amount of money, I’d really like to know who’s on the other end of the transaction and otherwise be able to feel confident that it is a legit deal, even at grey market pricing. To that end, I bought my first Omega from a brick and mortar store that I found online, European Watch Co in Boston. I did research to confirm that they were real, read customer reviews, and had some conversations with a sales associate. In the end I made the purchase and was not disappointed, and I continue to keep an eye on their listings as I’d confidently purchase from them again.

For my next Omega, I bought direct from the local OB as I wanted, at least once, the experience. I had an idea of which model I wanted and went in a few times to try it, and others on. As expected, they were awesome. Not only was it fun to build a relationship and chat watches, they also graciously helped me secure the new adjustable clasps for both my existing PO and the SM300 that I purchased in the OB. Should the situation arise, I would gladly purchase from the OB again.

My third I purchased off eBay. A long time hunt for a birthyear model led me to a listing that fit the bill perfectly. I’d spent a lot of time searching here in the sales spaces on OF, and while I didn’t find the one I ultimately purchased, reading comparable listings and a number of the threads relating to the model I was looking for helped me know what to look for and what details to be mindful of. I definitely spent more time researching for this purchase than I did for any others, but at the end of the day, I still needed to know that it was a real person selling and that the offering was legit. The original listing didn’t include photos of the movement and when I asked for them, they obliged happily and provided multiple views and details that abated any concern I had on the veracity of the sale.

In all three instances, I had a budget in mind that I stuck to. That is an important thing to do and stay committed to. It will take patience, but if you’re honest and realistic, you’ll be able to find the right fit. For me, there’s really no substitute for buying from a person.

Apologies for the lengthy post. Good luck with your purchase and congrats again on the anniversary!!!

6. deanathan12 Mar 27, 2019

Jewelers and dealers have always been the go to place for timepieces but recently people have started realizing that getting gently used pieces from reputable PEOPLE online is far cheaper, easier, and just as safe. People is all caps because I wanted to emphasize that people are better to deal with that grey market dealers like Jomashop. While they do sell authentic sometimes, they also sell frankenstein watches that aren't 100% authentic.When it comes to the AD's and jewelers, they just offer you a discount and send you out the door. And even when a jeweler or dealer offers or "gives" you a discount, it's not a discount. They're still making a few thousand off of you as soon as you walk out that door. What's worse is that if you walk back in there a week later for a trade in or to sell it back, they offer you usually less than half of what you paid.

Don't buy from jewelers, dealers, or grey market authorities(ex. jomashop). Buy from people with good reps in the second hand community. You get way better deals, build a solid relationship for future transactions, and it gets shipped right to you instead of you having to go to the brick and mortar store just to get taken advantage of. That's just my two cents haha

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 28, 2019

So unless they are losing money on the sale or at best breaking even, it's not a discount? You do realize these aren't charities, right?

munichblue likes this.
  8. deanathan12 Mar 28, 2019

No bro. They have to make money as do we all. But if you could make a decision between paying 6k for a timepiece at an AD, or going online and finding a reputable person to buy the same watch from for 2.5k-3k why would you go to the AD? It's not about them losing money or breaking even since there's no possible way they could do that since, like I said, they are in every watch so low that they can make a 300% plus ROI. It's about the smart decision for the client. Why pay thousands more to ensure that you'll lose a massive chunk of money when you want to sell it or trade it back if you can avoid that gunshot wound to the wallet?

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 28, 2019

Thanks "bro" but I understand the idea of not buying new from an AD just fine. But in two threads now you have stated that because the AD is still making money in the transaction, it's "not a discount" which makes no sense at all...

By definition a discount is a reduction in the list price, and has nothing to do with the margin that the seller is making. So when you get a reduction in price from an AD, it is a discount.

People choose to buy how they want to buy. Some people are all about money, and will find the cheapest source possible, Some will want the luxury buying experience so don't mind paying more to be treated well at an AD. And some will pay full whack at a boutique many times over to be treated like a VIP and get all the "perks" (invites to events, trips, golfing outings) that people who pay that much get.

I've bought new from an AD with a discount (and yes they still made money I assume), and I've bought used. Different people value different things...

10. ac106 Mar 28, 2019

Pretty sure they aren't marking up 300%

connieseamaster and Archer like this.
  11. johncatlas Mar 28, 2019

@jmvdude You should check out Chitownwatch.com, they are probably the best place (imo) to get Omegas at less than retail. They come with stamped Omega Warranty Cards so you'll get the 5 year Omega warranty which is just as good as buying at the AD. I bought my speedy from them and it was great. You wont get the "luxury" experience but you will get a very complete watch (as in all of the dealer packaging, such as the watch coffin, stickers, outer outer box etc.

12. rainking Mar 28, 2019

Every other day someone registers on OF and posts pretty much exactly what you posted. If you search around the forum you will find everyone in this thread and plenty of others saying the same three things over and over again on this topic. All of your questions will be answered, and then some.
    Quickly, though: for a Speedy Pro, buy from established sellers like mdgrwl or kringkily (both members here, and search those names + watchrecon for some listings). You'll get a brand new legit watch with full Omega warranty for about $3500 delivered. That'll be the final total price, no additional tax etc. Compare that to what you'll pay an AD even if they offer their usual slight discount. Unless you just enjoy the idea of lighting $1,000+ on fire for no reason.

13. gbesq Mar 28, 2019

Jomashop sells Frankenstein watches that aren’t 100% authentic? May I ask where you obtained that information? Jomashop has been around for a long time. To my knowledge, unless it specifically says preowned on their website, the watches sold are brand new, unaltered, and come with tags, packaging, manuals, and everything else that you would get from an AD except the manufacturer’s warranty and the one on one relationship that comes with purchasing at a brick and mortar store. I can only speak to my own experience, but I’ve purchased four watches from Jomashop, including two Omegas, and have never had a problem. I’m not defending grey market dealers, but I’m not sure that your statement is accurate.

Edited Mar 28, 2019
  14. JFM43 Mar 30, 2019

Welcome to the forum, I’m new too and excited to discuss watches.
    I bought my first omega from an AD. The watch was great and didn’t need a service at all in the first five years. I ended up having it serviced at six years even though it was running perfectly and amplitude was at 320. I had it serviced because I knew after six years the oil‘s are broken down and not as effective at Lubricating anymore. But with that, I’ve purchased three other high-end watches all on the gray market. Gray market prices are much much cheaper and as long as you go with well known seller, like Jomashop or Govberg, you will be fine You may or may not get the original box and papers, and you will not get the Omega warranty card, but you DO get a warranty. In my experience you don’t get that much more money for having box and papers with an expired warranty card when it comes time to sell it. Although, some collectors do like to have those items.
    Good luck and enjoy your new Omega!

15. jankymutt Apr 1, 2019

This is a pretty cool perk that I didn't know about. Wish there was an OB in Boston!