Forums Latest Members

Is it worth buying a new watch on line to save money?

1. Keef Richards Apr 23, 2019

I looked on line and I can save over $800 if I buy on line. I like to help out the retail store and to build a relationship with them for service, etc. I don't mind paying a little more but...

What pitfalls should I look out for? I checked on line and confirmed they are based in the States and they have a 14 day money back guarantee. I saw many positive reviews from customers on line. Granted I know they can create fake reviews to give a better impression.

It is worth the peace of mind of buying from a Omega store where you know its a authentic watch and one that is not used or refurbished?

2. time flies Apr 23, 2019

There are any number of existing threads on this subject, most quite detailed and informative. A start might include "Gray market". Really, I kid you not.

Have fun
    kfw

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. ilayd Apr 23, 2019

Buying online is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as you are aware of what you are purchasing. I just went though a ton of research on where to by my first Speedmaster.

The cheapest places will be grey market and most will come without the Official omega warranty. Often, that store will offer their own warranty, but typically those are not very good. One thing to keep in mind is the difference in price you are saving versus the cost of having it serviced if anything happens. Another to watch out for is some vendors brush out the serial numbers, which for some people is a big issue.

Then the next level is also grey market but from vendors who sell unmodified watches and come with Omega warranty, often a few months elapsed already. You can find a few of those types of sellers right here on this site in the sales section. Those with high reviews will have watches that are in brand new condition, not modified in any way, and with official warranty. This is the route I went with.

Then after that you can find an authorized dealer (not boutique) who will be willing to negotiate down the price with you a little. This will be the same as buying a new watch from Omega itself, no different in any way.

Boutiques will accept your watch and do service or work on it regardless where you've purchased it. However, if you are wanting to build a relationship to be able to get some LE versions later, that may be a good options. Otherwise, I'd find a great seller here on the forum and talk to them.

4. Observer I know nothing! Apr 23, 2019

Regarding warranties, I've been looking at a couple of used watches online that say they come with the warranty card. Does it help to have that if anything goes wrong with the watch?

5. ilayd Apr 23, 2019

It depends, you can have warranty cards (which is a one indicator that the watch is authentic), but it also needs to be stamped by an authorized dealer or boutique to have it serviced under warranty... assuming its still within that period.

Omega, however, will take and service your watch regardless of where you've purchased it or whether you have the warranty card or not, as long as its authentic. You will have to pay for the service though, unlike if its under warranty, Omega will foot the bill.

If its outside of the warranty period, depending on what you need done, you can probably just find a fine watchmaker and get it done with them. A good watchmaker will take care of your Omega as well as the vendor will.

6. cjoedaniel Apr 23, 2019

I'd be curious to know if ADs are willing to give a discount with the impending price hike.

7. Keef Richards Apr 23, 2019

I feel better buying from an authorize dealer and making sure I have a Omega warranty, a proper box, and papers.

drhombus24 likes this.
  8. threeputtbogey Apr 23, 2019

Going AD is better if you every want to sell it on and if you want the Omega warranty. Otherwise, if you plan on keeping it forever, buying gray market is a good bet to save some money.

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 23, 2019

alam likes this.
  10. Keef Richards Apr 23, 2019

The other advantage of buying from a Omega dealer is this.... Which I have not heard anyone speak about on any forum.

In the States a standard homeowners policy provide coverage for jewelry up to $1,000. This is for theft and only the named perils on your policy. If you want protection from accidents like if you dropped it, the band got damaged while playing basketball, or even if it needs service with no deductible you can add a rider on your policy for full protection.... Even if you lose it.

Personally I can't imagine not paying for the rider with an expensive watch. Anyway the insurance company will want a copy of your receipt for proof of ownership and how much to insure it for. An authorized dealer will even help you with the proper documentation the insurance carrier needs.

11. cjoedaniel Apr 23, 2019

Where I live there are only two ADs, no OBs. Once I decided to buy I wanted to keep my money local and support the local store. My state doesn't have sales tax so that was never and issue.
    One AD I liked based on pass experiences with sizing my watches and trying on some of their stock. They had always been polite and helpful but not pushy at all. So when I went in one day to purchase the new seamaster 300m I was just assuming I would get some sort of discount. I had also been previously offered the older model for about 15% off. To my surprise, after dealing with the owner himself that he wasn't willing to give a dime off, I was shocked to say the least. I walked out of there just thinking I could not possibly pay retail after all of the discounts that I knew were available elsewhere.
    First thing I did was to call the other AD, and they said they were willing to take off $250 if I wrote them a check.
    Long story short after a day or two of weighing my options, I decided to buy from a reseller here on the forum. I payed using PayPal so I could use my credit card for some protection instead of a wire transfer, plus the points from my card off set half of the 3% increase for using a card.
    Communication was done by email and I told him exactly when I wanted the watch delivered once payment was received. I requested where the warranty card was from and verified the AD on the Omega website.
    Watched arrived a few days later packaged amazingly well. It was via UPS and I had to sign for it. All the documents checked out and the watch looked great with stickers still attached. I logged my watch online on the Omega website to get access to my METAS results and that checked out just fine too.
    I then decided to take the watch in to get it sized as I didn't want to deal with the screws and loctite even though I had ordered the right screw driver. Took it in to the second AD as I didn't want to deal with any awkwardness with the other owner. The owner of this AD was a bit miffed as to why I had an omega that wasn't purchased from him. I told him it was a gift from my wife as I didn't want to tell him I got it from a reseller. He was so perplexed that he even asked me if I had the warranty card... WTF. None of his business. In the end he charged me $25 to get it sized and when I got home I noticed a scratch on the side of the bracelet by one of the screws. Second WTF... I decided then that I will never go back to that AD and am glad that I didn't purchase my watch there although I'm sure my experience would have been a lot different if I had. Basically I am glad that I made the purchase online and saved about $600.
    As for insurance, my homeowners also only covers jewelry up to $1000 so I added a supplement to cover the watch from any loss, theft or damage... about $5 a month with a $250 deductible. All I had to do was email my agent the invoice I received from my watch reseller and he added it to my policy. The value is listed as the price I paid and not the retail price however.

ama98 likes this.
  12. 77deluxe Apr 23, 2019

What about buying used from a trusted seller?

mydeafcat likes this.
  13. mydeafcat Apr 24, 2019

Indeed. Valid consideration.

Still very much noob with only 4 online purchases, my one brand new gray market experience was likewise colourless. (That should not dissuade you from exploring @STANDY’s sage advice, of course. If I weren’t in Canada, I’d definitely PM well respected sellers on the Watches For Sale thread if I was looking for a new watch.) That said, two other Private Seller purchases I’ve made here on OF were terrific. Awesome, in fact. Vintage, admittedly, so no warranty or attendant expectations. My watchmaker was suitably impressed. As well, a very recent Speedmaster purchase involved patience, disappointment, impatience, then, finally, my OCD hunt met with success a few weeks ago. I wanted a newer model; this was a mint, 8 year old full set Speedy and I had complete trust in the seller. Honest, great communication etc. No warranty, sure, yet I saved well over $2000 by buying a well-loved, almost new piece rather than one from an OB or AD.

You’ve got options!

Edited Apr 24, 2019
    77deluxe likes this.
  14. Keef Richards Apr 24, 2019

Still tempted to buy the watch on line. The Omega dealer has the no interest for 18 months which takes some sting out of the sale. It seems there is like a 15 percent chance of having problems buying on line. You have to be willing to take that chance. Hmm.

15. Keef Richards Apr 24, 2019

I thought about my decesion of buying retail all night. What I reminded myself was the two wonderful experiences I had at the Omega store in the mall. The Professional Service, the expresso they served me, the ability to try on multiple watches which is a much different experience than looking on line, answering all my questions, receiving detailed information on the movements, and the idea of supporting my local store.

Throw in the extra protection of the warranty, receiving a nice box, papers, the feeling that my dealer will support me if I have any issue with thr watch, the ability to bring it in after 6 months or so on a question and the relationship that was built with the store. If we don't support them, they won't be around in the future as well.
    So I will be purchasing my time piece from the Omega store today.

16. Albe100 Apr 24, 2019

I inquired about this as well, another option to replace the receipt, is an official appraisal from a local watch dealer or jeweler. At least this is what my insurance company told me. Given that some watches may have been passed down, and no paper work is available, it would make sense.

17. Keef Richards Apr 24, 2019

I bought my watch today from the Omega dealer. ::psy:: Additional service received today was very nice including a bottle of champagne, and book on Omega.

20190424_142139_HDR.jpg
    vbrad26 likes this.
  18. Dohnut Apr 24, 2019

In contrast I had an awful experience at my local AD (admittedly not an OB) but had a wonderful experience with my local grey market dealer. Gave me a great price on a watch I wanted to trade and secured a hefty discount on a brand new watch with all boxes/papers.

19. cjoedaniel Apr 24, 2019

Congrats! Were you able to haggle a discount? And what color is the lume on the pip?

20. Keef Richards Apr 24, 2019

No discount but I received a bottle of champagne and half off on the large Omega colone. Plus two thick magazines on Omega and fantastic service. Still very glad I purchased it from a authorized dealer though it cost more money. With its 18 month payment plan with no interest it makes it easier to swallow. It's on par with the Rolex Submariner and still thousands less with a nice red tip third hand and open back to admire.
    It's a green lum.

20190424_224141.jpg