A little worried about getting a replica...

I'd like to get one of the new heritage 57 speedmasters in blue (or maybe red) but they are unobtainable at ADs right now (except by luck) and are selling secondary at a hefty premium.

Except... I found a couple on ebay. Prices seem to be too good to be true, and I don't trust their authenticity inspections. But then, I'd hate to miss out on a deal.

There are plenty of fakes out there, but none that I've seen for these new models, although I'm sure someone is working on it. I don't want to spend $8K for a fake, and I've heard that some of these fakes are so good, I'm not sure if I could spot one.

I sure hope that no one steals this out from under me, but here's a link to one of them: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Spee...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
To me eBay is a no for anything that is more than a hundred bucks or so. Full of scam artists, both buyers and sellers. And now eBay got rid of the protection you may have had at some point with PayPal.

Reach out to one of the dealers on the Dealer FS thread. They will be able to get you one….

Reach out to one of the dealers on the Dealer FS thread. They will be able to get you one….

I can try again... Last time, no one could get one. Or not at msrp...

mjb does not pay over retail for anything. 😉

The red one on strap is available now on Omega's US e-commerce site. Put your name on their site and be notified when they become available, they get supply but are sold quickly. I would stay away from eBay on these watches. Have you tried C24?

C24, all are over msrp that I've seen... I prefer to buy new, as used condition can be a crap-shoot.

I shall put my name on the list for the web site, good idea, thanks!

You can create a custom alert on C24 so that you’ll get a notice if one comes online within your price window. You can also just set up a Google alert for the model #. I usually do both when I’m on the hunt.

eBay is not worth the risk. (C24 is marginally better.)

eBay has turned me off. I’ve bought some high priced things, incl. a car that I flew out to see, it was fine and we made the transaction at sellers bank. I’ve bought and sold some $200-1,000 watches with good luck. But now I’m finding that selling is a PITA. Too many fees, calculated shipping, etc. Its not worth the effort for minimal reward.

Chrono24 was fine for buying a Squale in the $300 range but I’ve never sold there. OTOH, I’ve had great luck with knowledgeable people buying and selling on this website.

I'll say it again, regardless of where you shop, buy the seller.

I think eBay gives you 30 days to return the item after you receive it. You could bring it to get it authorised in a couple of places and if you’re still not happy return it, just my 2c!

I'd like to get one of the new heritage 57 speedmasters in blue (or maybe red) but they are unobtainable at ADs right now (except by luck) and are selling secondary at a hefty premium.

Except... I found a couple on ebay. Prices seem to be too good to be true, and I don't trust their authenticity inspections. But then, I'd hate to miss out on a deal.

There are plenty of fakes out there, but none that I've seen for these new models, although I'm sure someone is working on it. I don't want to spend $8K for a fake, and I've heard that some of these fakes are so good, I'm not sure if I could spot one.

I sure hope that no one steals this out from under me, but here's a link to one of them: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Spee...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

There are some other threads on here with the same topic. The watches are hard to find, but definitely not impossible. And unlike a certain other brand, the waitlists are real and move quickly. Whether through the Omega site or one of the large brick-and-mortar chains with a good web presence, you should get be able to get one at retail in a few months at most. At the OB in Atlanta they said they come in regularly and sell regularly, and that with a deposit expect just a few weeks or months at most.

For me it’s too close to the price point of buying one new from an AD or an OB….which comes with a worry factor of zero on authenticity, warranty, and help with any defects/issues.

I have a blue on order from an OB, production will catch up soon. It’s worth the wait IMO.

That listing specifically states that it’s a “final sale” with no returns….HARD PASS

plus I don’t really like buying from people that has under 100 transactions when the item is $8k.

Yeah, this looks sketchy as hell. Considering the selling fees, this is way underpriced, which is a huge red flag. Be patient or buy from from a legit gray market dealer for more than retail if you have to have immediate gratification.

To me eBay is a no for anything that is more than a hundred bucks or so. Full of scam artists, both buyers and sellers. And now eBay got rid of the protection you may have had at some point with PayPal.

When eBay originally shifted away from PayPal I kind of thought the same thing but now they have some sort of money back eBay guarantee? I've never had to use anything like that so I don't have personal experience, can anyone clarify if it IS actually worse?

Also, not regarding this watch specifically, but how do people generally feel about eBay's authentic guarantee and testing?

Aa always... most important thing is to buy the seller in anything big like this...
Edited:

Think you guys are overreacting. People do this all the time to "build their profile" with the OB. They buy a watch and sell it off at a small loss.

In some Asian countries, you can find brand new Speedmaster 57s for sale at 7 to 7.5k

Think you guys are overreacting. People do this all the time to "build their profile" with the OB. They buy a watch and sell it off at a small loss.

In some Asian countries, you can find brand new Speedmaster 57s for sale at 7 to 7.5k
😵‍💫 losing money to gain favor to spend more money. 👎 Self grifting for a watch 👍

I wouldn't be spending so much on a watch from Ebay.
I've bought 4 watches off Ebay and found out too late that one of them was fake.
I think I've used up my luck on there and won't be buying another.
Ebay is awash with all sorts of fakes.

I wouldn't be spending so much on a watch from Ebay.
I've bought 4 watches off Ebay and found out too late that one of them was fake.
I think I've used up my luck on there and won't be buying another.
Ebay is awash with all sorts of fakes.

Was your fake purchased before eBay's authentication process? Curious how reliable it is/or is considered.

Was your fake purchased before eBay's authentication process? Curious how reliable it is/or is considered.
Yeah, sometime in 2018 I think.
I paid around £500 for it so the authenticity process wouldn't have applied.
Someone on another watch forum had flagged up the seller and the 39mm Hydroconquest quartz's that I bought but by then it was too late.