Forums Latest Members

How come people are not worried about radium lumes flaking and the dust escaping the case?

1. afaw34 Jun 15, 2020

Most vintage omegas with radium lumes are not waterproof. That means the seal isn't air tight. This means stuff can get into the watch... and stuff can get out.

Radium lumes have degraded and are often very fragile. It's not uncommon for the lume to dislodge from just wearing.

Therefore, people warn others of opening the caseback of a radium dialed watch. That seems to be a valid concern accepted by most people here.

But if that's true, how does the fact that the dust will flow in and out of the watch due to the lack of air tight seal not concern people?

Edited Jun 15, 2020
  2. jsducote Jun 16, 2020

Something fishy about this. Like maybe a <200 member who wants to sell a watch by getting people to offer to take it off his hands?

watchyouwant likes this.
  3. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jun 16, 2020

Just stop that permanent posting ! 4 times the same stuff over and over again.....everything is said more than once. Sell it and move on. Buy something you enjoy. Cognitive dissonance is ok, but not all the time again and again without accepting the facts.....

Sherbie, DirtyDozen12, Dan S and 4 others like this.
  4. Davidt Jun 16, 2020

Please stop. Four threads on the same subject is too much.

There are existing threads on the dangers and risks posed by radium, for those wearing or maintaining watches. Please add to those existing threads or create one new thread discussing your particular issues or concerns.

By your own admission you are new to vintage watches yet you are now straying into the realms of lecturing and criticising people who have far more experience in this subject than you.

Most collectors aren't worried as they have done their research into the risks posed and made a decision based on the likely, real risk to them. You may reach the conclusion that the perceived risks to you outweigh the benefits. That's perfectly fine, and is a decision you must make but the constant hysteria and questioning of others should stop.

It sounds like your perceived risk is much greater than the likely actual risk. Again that's fine, and if that seed has been sown, it's unlikely your stance will change. I'd really suggest selling or returning this watch to set your mind at ease and getting one without radium - either post '62 so it uses tritium, or one if the many vintage models that don't have any lume.

Edited Jun 16, 2020
    Edward53, Stripey, imageWIS and 4 others like this.
  5. ZIELSZIEK Jun 16, 2020

Last time I checked people who are 40+ were just as human as I am. Maybe you should consider deleting a certain comment of yours from the other post? That was really rude.
    You were given a link with further info and somebody who is a nuclear engineer was kind enough to answer you concern. Just sell the darn watch.
    P.s This is coming from somebody who is 20.

6. killer67 Jun 16, 2020

Just because you pose the same question 4 different ways doesn’t mean you’ll get different answers from the same people

Scarecrow Boat and watchyouwant like this.
  7. timecube Jun 16, 2020

I'm not a nuclear engineer, but studied undergrad physics before shifting to a more meaningful pursuit, and have a lifelong interest (and some rational + irrational fear) concerning unstable nuclei. I believe a radium dialed watch would probably not harm me, but it would definitely raise my anxieties. Would be perfectly comfortable storing it in a safe, not at all comfortable on my wrist. I'm on the general lookout for a 1950s-1970s vintage Seamaster or something like it. If its pre-1962 I'd have it relumed. I WILL notify a prospective seller of this, and if damaging a nice watch gives them the same level of discomfort that wearing a radium dial would for me, I'll look elsewhere.

I am 40+ and freely admit I may be less human than you are.
    If as I suspect OP is selling geiger counters, I could be in the market for one.
    ::screwloose::

Edited Jun 16, 2020
  8. afaw34 Jun 16, 2020

Except that this question is a valid question and one that's different than all the other one's I've asked.

Funny how no one wants to actually answer this question and tries to dismiss it because they know the answer is that YES, the radium dust may escape the watch case and may be harmful.

9. timecube Jun 16, 2020

Indeed, you're the first person on OF to come to the realization that radium lume could be harmful. It's never occurred to anyone else before, and we're all in denial because nobody has ever believed radium could be dangerous. If you don't get an answer that adequately validates your concerns, you should post another thread. And keep posting new threads until people understand that radium lume could be dangerous.

BlueOtter, izydor, hoipolloi and 9 others like this.
  10. Wabi-sabi Jun 16, 2020

:whipped:

timecube likes this.
  11. afaw34 Jun 16, 2020

Your reading comprehension must be so low if you can not grasp that I'm asking a very specific question that hasn't been addressed.

I'm not talking about the dangers of radium dials in general. I'm asking about the possibility of the radium dust escaping the watch case without ever being opened due to the lack of an airtight seal.

All I've read is how they are safe as long as it's closed but might be dangerous if opened. And I'm bringing up the point that if the latter is true, then the watch might be dangerous EVEN if they remain closed because these cases are hardly dustproof. Radium dust will leak out. I'm asking for people's opinion on this specific matter.

Edited Jun 16, 2020
  12. Davidt Jun 16, 2020

You're right it's possible minute particles might escape the case if the seals are in poor condition or the areas around the seals are badly corroded.

What does this change? Other collectors have satisfied themselves that they can adequately mitigate the risk. If you don't fee that way, and I'm sure others feel the same, don't buy or wear radium dialed watches.

watchyouwant likes this.
  13. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 16, 2020

And you question someone else’s comprehension? The watch isn’t an “open window” as you are making it out to be. Things don’t just breeze in and out freely as they choose. Sell the watch. Maybe get an Apple Watch? But the version that doesn’t require data as that version will likely cause more damage to your skin than the vintage watch would. <- edited to point out the jest in this comment. As cell phones /data using watches emit low levels of radio frequency energy. Non-ionizing radiation.

watchyouwant, apsm100 and ChiefMark like this.
  14. simomega Jun 16, 2020

I’m so new here that none of my sharp facets have been polished off, and *I’m* offended by by the suggestion that members in good standing trying to weigh and help you are being accused of sub par reading comprehension...

just. wow.

3 (is it 3? It feels like 27) posts have been asked and answered.

Sell the damned watch. It’s really pretty. You’ll have no problem.

You’re scared of radiation. That’s fine.

Other people are not. That’s also fine.

The fact that the mods (thank you) closed another thread doesn’t give you a hint that this has been addressed?

Which means this entire post is de trop.

sorry everyone.

a bit.

15. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 16, 2020

At this point, you need to cool off & accept
    - the world is aware of the effects of radium
    - decades of discussion about radium use pre-date your concerns
    - allowing your anxieties to drive you to insult knowledgeable strangers is not a winning strategy
    - nobody on the internet can tell you anything about the seals or air-tightness of your individual vintage watch

If you have buyer's remorse, or are simply too freaked out about the watch, nobody can sort that out for you.

You'll have to get comfortable with a solution - all the sensible ones have been suggested already.

Failing that, sell the watch & chalk it up to experience. Virtually everyone goes through that when they first get into vintage watches. So congratulations, it's a rite of passage - but please don't piss people off while you go through it.

16. Stripey Jun 16, 2020

"Ok this will be my LAST thread regarding my radium paranoia."

And yet here you are with another one.

OmegaP99, watchyouwant and simomega like this.
  17. tamura Jun 16, 2020

eugeneandresson and watchyouwant like this.
  18. DON Jun 16, 2020

You've posted these same questions on 3 different forums and received the same answers from all trying to help and yet you still go on and on about it.

I think your a troll

watchyouwant and Dan S like this.
  19. Dan S Jun 16, 2020

Ouch.

20. Flip Jun 17, 2020

Sh*t, I wear a radium dial watch daily ::facepalm1::

*****For Sale, one radium dial watch, possibly going cheap and may or may not be a health risk. If a health risk it’ll be cheap, if not it’ll be expensive. Please contact me for further details*****
    ::rimshot::

Scarecrow Boat and watchyouwant like this.