Forums Latest Members

Your opinion on this Seiko Pogue

1. prokudin May 16, 2022

Dear All,
    I am not a big expert in Seiko's. Could you tell me what do you think of this Seiko Pogue?

The bezel, the face, and the hands look too good to be original, especially if I compare to the movement pic.
    If you share here how you tell original parts from aftermarket, it will be great.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpeg

2. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI May 16, 2022

TimeODanaos and sleepyastronaut like this.
  3. Walrus May 16, 2022

Do you know seller? These are really one of my favorite watches, well these and some other vintage Seiko but it is amazing how good some have got at “restoring” I was going to buy a bullhead locally went to the guys house he had a whole set up to “make old stuff look better.” Your picture looks ok but study up and compare as there are tells I just don’t know them all off hand. Here is a picture of one which as far as I know is original
    image.jpg

4. bmpennington May 16, 2022

I don’t know since I don’t buy Sieko, but if you Google the model you should see stock photos to compare to.

5. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI May 16, 2022

Honestly, not the best advice since fakes are rampant with this reference.

6. Walrus May 16, 2022

Ya probably better to search here directly and compare references although there are some good YouTube videos going into detail on the fakes.

7. prokudin May 16, 2022

Thank you all! I am not in a hurry to buy one even though I like Seiko Pogue. A forum member may have one for sale, I am not yet ready to pull the trigger. Considering that Seiko allegedly did not use the best manmade materials for these watches I am still hesitating.

It is curious that I can spot problems with many vintage Omega's easily (thanks to OF), but this Seiko is quite difficult even after some reading and studying done. The link to the collector's guide is an excellent source of info, I am reading it from time to time.

In this particular case the seller is from UK (with 100% rating) and he sells many Pogue's and I wonder how it is possible to source that many.

8. TDBK May 16, 2022

9. ianmarsh May 17, 2022

I recently bought a Pogue of eBay UK. I think most of mine is original, though I have doubts about the bezel. I'd agree with the earlier poster that the bezel insert, dial and hands look like replacements on your one. The case finish looks very good, which would also raise suspicions in such an old watch. You mention the materials not being too good and I'd tend to agree as the case of mine is pretty battered. Either it was hard worn, or the steel is easily dented.

Having said all this though, even if some parts are replacement, these are super watches to wear. Very eye catching.

IDXM likes this.