Forums Latest Members

What other hobbies are you into?

1. MJKauz Feb 17, 2020

My most recent other obsession was denim and workwear. I've had the pleasure of photographing for a few heritage brands and have collected quite a bit of clothing in the last few years. For some reason I can never have enough jackets (I think right now I own 8 from Filson alone), though I've finally dialed it in to a few pairs of jeans. It's a problem in New York when my closet measures only 28 inches wide...

I love the way a piece of clothing can represent history or a period of time, just like a watch can.

I also am sort of obsessed with the American West and its history. Just completed a 2 year long project on the state of rural America and the West but have an itch to get back out on the range. I even helped with some of the work on the ranches. That's part of why I'm looking for a Ranchero.

wagudc, Bill Sohne and noelekal like this.
  2. gohmdoree Feb 20, 2020

I like olympic weightlifting. I work in a warehouse part of the time. Big difference in productivity when I am training and when I am not.

wagudc likes this.
  3. NYCwatchgal Feb 22, 2020

Music (over 400+ CDs - mostly 80s; sold all my 80s vinyls 10 years ago)
    Audiophile (a long time ago, my dad and I had a NAD amp, a NAD pre-amp, Nakamichi tape deck, Acoustic Research speakers)
    Photography
    Watches (mostly modern, one vintage so far)
    Traveling, especially to places based on television series:
    - Scotland for Outlander
    - Highclere Castle/UK for Downton Abbey
    - Ireland for Game of Thrones (not really a big GOT fan but appreciate the locations)
    - Spain for Gran Hotel and GOT

4. pongster Feb 23, 2020

I prefer ladies. ;)

DirtyDozen12 likes this.
  5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 27, 2020

Fix ya' right up.

[​IMG]

Spruce, ttsp52, Dan S and 1 other person like this.
  6. Lostpuppy116 Feb 27, 2020

My hobby is playing with a 95 pound (around 43 kg) year old lab puppy. See avatar picture. Belly rubs, tug-of-war and LOTS of treats... Modern pistols, modern rifles and optics and shooting sports. Oh and wrenching on a race car or two.

7. ONEWATCH Irony embodied Feb 27, 2020

My hobby is wood working. Went to my local wood supplier and found out he had surgery and won't be back for 2 weeks. I can always take a nap. Was going to buy around $3-400 of red oak 8' x 8" x 2". Not readily available at your big box store.

Wetworks likes this.
  8. Waltesefalcon Feb 28, 2020

I can appreciate a good audio system. Mine runs an old 1700 MacIntosh amp/tuner powering a pair of Norman Lab model 10 speakers, and a Thorens TD160 turntable. I no longer have a CD player or tape deck. I have converted most of my decent cassettes and 8 tracks over to digital and ripped all of my CDs. Now that is all stored on Ipods, I find that I haven't sacrificed anything in sound quality but don't have to store all these bulky tapes and can listen to music for hours without having to get up and flips sides or change tapes.

Bill Sohne and NYCwatchgal like this.
  9. AllHerMovements Feb 28, 2020

So many hobbies. I wonder if collecting and hobbies go together. I’m into LEGO, cars, fragrance collecting, music (French horn), and books.

10. Koelsh Feb 28, 2020

B1EB8DFC-D120-408D-838C-1A2BA24E1F1E.jpeg Radioamateur, specially military
    EA3IAV

Bill Sohne, Dan S and wagudc like this.
  11. NYCwatchgal Feb 28, 2020

My uncle still has his Macintosh amp. He's the culprit to introducing us to a-then very expensive hobby. Haha.

I thought about converting my all CDs to MP3 files. I do have most songs I like digitally. But then what would I do with the 3 shelves of space on my bookshelf? Haha.

I don't have as good a system as before but I have a QUAD center speaker, Definitive front & rear speakers, and a Yamaha receiver (my Denon had died after 12 years). I mainly use the audio system for movies/television series (can't be too loud living in a coop building). If I want to play a CD (rarely do), I'll use my Sony DVD player. Otherwise, I hook up the iPod via the USB port on the Yamaha receiver.

Awesome that your components still work and you use them. Our AR speakers were quite big and bulky but sounded great.

Edited Feb 28, 2020
  12. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Feb 28, 2020

Mmmmmmmm, QUAAAAAAAAAAD.......

NYCwatchgal likes this.
  13. Hduck Feb 28, 2020

Flying. That’s me piloting a Bonanza on short final. Use a chronograph each flight to determine elapsed time

C3CFA546-4403-4686-8A4D-D98D100A9184.jpeg
  14. Engee Feb 28, 2020

Can't you determine elapsed time by remembering what time you took off? ;)

15. Hduck Feb 28, 2020

You can, but the problem is there are so many other times running through your head. Timing at holding fixes, Timing inbound on the approach, etc. It's easier to just push and forget. As soon as I clear the runway I just push the stop and look at the time when I shut the plane off

Edited Feb 28, 2020
    ChiefMark, cvalue13 and SpeedyPhill like this.
  16. Flatfoot Feb 28, 2020

Cars: Enjoy restoring and driving old sports-purpose cars as well as driving modern autos. Doing track days with my sons! My interest began with Soap Box Derby racer around age 10. Now, Bring A Trailer competes with Omega Forums for screentime. I was wrenching on and then driving an older car as of yesterday afternoon. Spring is not too far away here in New England, US of A.

Airplanes: Flying right seat since I was a kid, and Single Engine Land rating at age ~21. Glider rating at age ~28. This interest is on "simmer" at the moment as other things compete for my time. but sport sailplanes keep tugging at my sleeve.

Free Flight Scale Models: A lifelong passion for building and flying “old school” rubber band powered, stick and tissue model airplanes. My interest in it has waxed and waned over the years, but I always come back to it. This time intensive hobby blends creativity, design and plain old good common sense along with history, all leavened with fun. I have a bunch of similarly-minded friends with a surprisingly broad age spectrum ranging from 7 year olds to 95 year olds. We share and pass on what I call the tribal knowledge of this rather unusual hobby to each other. An earlier series of posts I've made on this topic appears below:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/show-us-your-favourite-toys-boyz…-and-girlz.93839/#post-1217441

Bones of a Mitsubishi "Dinah" Japanese reconnaissance plane from WW II below. The Dinah was roughly the equivalent to the De Havilland Mosquito in terms of its purpose and performance.
    E737F166-D03F-49F8-A170-0F018E283EDE.jpeg

Spark Ignition Model Airplane Engines. Specializing in 1934-41 classic free flight motors, and the contrasting post-war era from 1945 thru 1948 where power increased dramatically by greatly improved design. Fascinating designs, metallurgy, ideas and colors of engines are evident of what was a wide open field of opportunity following WWII.

I've observed many parallels between collecting old engines and wristwatches in terms of the collecting skill practices. It is interesting in following the history, innovations and what then springs forth from earlier ideas. That notion carries through with these engines much as it does with wristwatches. And as always: original condition of the example is paramount
    Motors.jpg

Finally: NOT watching Television.

17. flw history nerd Feb 29, 2020

Reading history, and buying a lot of history books.
    20200229_113454.jpg 20200229_113512.jpg 20200229_113519.jpg 20200229_113536.jpg 20200229_113545.jpg 20200229_113554.jpg 20200229_113617.jpg 20200229_113628.jpg 20200229_113640.jpg

I'm also working (at a glacial pace) on a history book of my own. At the rate I'm going, I'll finish it after I retire.

30t1, noelekal, Togri v. 2.0 and 10 others like this.
  18. whiskeredbat Feb 29, 2020

Collecting and restoring fountain pens and vintage tobacco pipes. Books - now most of them are on my Kindle.

Was into the whole audiophile thingy with full McIntosh electronics but gave that up some years ago. Too much space and heat, not to mention the cleaning.
    With the quality of present portable DAPs, portable amps and ear/headphones I am content with the sound quality I am getting.

19. jsducote Mar 2, 2020

Can I come over and put them in alphabetical order please? As a scholar, I'm sure you have them in a logical order, but as a non-scholar with book-OCD I need it to be otherwise.

flw likes this.
  20. flw history nerd Mar 2, 2020

You sound like my ex-wife (no offense intended) - when she and I moved in together for the first time, she demanded to reorganize them by the color of the binding ...

Needless to say, we're not married to each other anymore ::facepalm1::

noelekal and jsducote like this.