Forums Latest Members

What other hobbies are you into?

1. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 2, 2020

I do not blame you at all. She sounds crazy. Everyone knows they should be arranged by height.

2. pongster Mar 3, 2020

Lego and travel

14F9F9F1-4193-4C3C-8A56-B66153FF2DF3.jpeg
    Dan S, flw and Bill Sohne like this.
  3. Handgelenkt Mar 3, 2020

I am really into Photography - recently a dream came true when I acquired my first Leica M Rolex gerade.jpg

4. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 3, 2020

Especially flight-instructors need to keep the elapsed time as, in civilian aviation, they're paid by the minute ;)
    What a huge difference with your military Instructor-Pilot who just tries to turn your flight into a blue, green or... red flight.

Hduck likes this.
  5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 3, 2020

While it's no longer politically correct, I thoroughly enjoyed dwarf bowling. :rolleyes:

6. Edwinowl Mar 5, 2020

Been a gym dweller these past 20 years, wouldn't call it a hobby more of an obsession!!

7. mz_cle Mar 5, 2020

I have always been a workout and exercise enthusiast, but that has waned the last few years. Subsequently my belt line and professional responsibilities have grown.

I love to cook, especially various types of pizza, Detroit style pictured below, and grilling or live fire. I am also very interested more modernist techniques like sous vide.

IMG_1188.jpg IMG_1455.jpg IMG_1461.jpg
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 5, 2020

For me it's tennis. Although over the years I'd picket up a racquet and hit a tennis ball on occasion, I'd never had any coaching or instruction.

So I was at a level of "Grips? You mean you use a different grip for different shots?" sort of level. ::facepalm2::

After having a heart attack a little over 5 years ago, I decided I needed to get more active (watchmaking is a very sedentary job) so started playing at the local club. Play all year round, so indoors on hard courts, outdoors on hard courts and clay courts. My game has come a very long way over the last 5 years, but it's something you can always get better at, and I love it most days...

wagudc, Togri v. 2.0, Dan S and 5 others like this.
  9. reverbtime Mar 5, 2020

Squash and cycling (not great at both),

Togri v. 2.0 likes this.
  10. jsducote Mar 6, 2020

Yes, I imagine they're hard to do at the same time. I'm not good at either on their own, let alone both. ;)

ConElPueblo and Archer like this.
  11. Waltesefalcon Mar 6, 2020

In my opinion there isn't an amp out there better than a McIntosh. I really enjoy having all of my CDs and many of my tapes on digital. I still have them all they just aren't taking up so much space in the living room.

Quad makes a good product, a pair of them would sound awesome through my system.

I have a friend who has been an electronics repairman for the past thirty years and keeps everything running when a transistor burns out or a connection breaks in a tone arm.

NYCwatchgal likes this.
  12. Waltesefalcon Mar 6, 2020

I'm jealous of the space you have to put your collection together, mine are in four different locations. I have some books at work for the classes I teach, some in my home, some in my shed/workshop/library, and some in my mom's house.

flw likes this.
  13. flw history nerd Mar 6, 2020

Thanks for your vote of confidence! I actually didn't show my entire collection - I have more at my office, and some in my classroom (not to mention the ones that are boxed and in storage). Do I have a problem? :confused:

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  14. Waltesefalcon Mar 6, 2020

Nope, that sounds like me. I have boxes of books tucked away all over. Every once in awhile I'll decide I need a book I haven't seem in twenty years and down the rabbit hole of book boxes I go.

flw likes this.
  15. whiskeredbat Mar 6, 2020

Can't agree more on your opinion on McIntosh. Had a McIntosh set up for close to 20 years (MC2255 amps bridged, C38 preamp amp and a later added MR88 tuner, Marantz CD 17 MKII player and various speakers over the years). All McIntosh and speakers gone now. Miss them - Friday and Saturday listenings with my brother and friends would stretch to early mornings. Distilleries in Scotland are still in business because of the whisky consumption during those listenings :).
    The Marantz player can really sing and I have retained it in the hopes of going full system again someday. That is unless I can find a Marantz CD7.

Edited Mar 7, 2020
    Bill Sohne and Waltesefalcon like this.
  16. jsducote Mar 9, 2020

I can't speak to whether there were any Klein lithos, but there was, within the last month, an auction of many vintage travel posters. Saw it on invaluable.com, so you might so set up an alert.

Lenny Pepperidge likes this.
  17. LesXL Mar 9, 2020

Photography, travel, coffee, food/cooking and wine... And recently and slowly (because it is €€€) into watches!

IMG_20200228_140541.jpg

wagudc, 30t1, noelekal and 2 others like this.
  18. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Mar 9, 2020

You, sir, have an awesome book collection. Would love to read the bio’s on Talleyrand and Metternich. I am currently reading Boswell’s London diaries.

I would highly recommend you the “Revolutions” podcast by Mike Duncan. You probably know it but if you don’t, you should give it a go. It would definitely be right up your alley :)

noelekal and flw like this.
  19. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Mar 9, 2020

My hobby is yelling at my kids to get them to be quiet. It doesn’t always work.

I don’t know if I have any hobbies as in something that I am really dedicated to. I read a lot, mostly historic litterature. I work out and lift weights 3-4 times a week, which I really love. Nothing serious at all but I like staying in shape. I like to bake bread, ferment things, the occasional cider or mead brewing. I just moved into a house with a small garden, so pretty soon I’ll be engaged in making it a good place for insects - we need to help the biodiversity along in our often not very environmentally friendly world. I also like wine and particular champagne or other sparkling wines. Recently some pretty good stuff from the southern parts of England has caught my attention.

ConElPueblo and wagudc like this.
  20. TheNewOmegaMan Mar 9, 2020

So many great hobbies in this thread. For myself it would be muscle cars and firearms. I have been trying to save up for my dream car. A C6 Z06! I always have been a corvette guy and wanted to purchase one since 2002. Already have a list of mods that absolutely need to be done haha. I would love to get back into drag racing.

As for firearm's I plan on purchasing a Springfield M1A Socom 16 to add to the collection.

noelekal likes this.