Forums Latest Members

What is your grail Omega and why?

1. ninman Nov 6, 2023

My grail is a watch that does not, and will never, exist. My grail is Omega remaking the 105012, to the exact specifications, using the exact same materials, the lot, charging a reasonable price for it, and making easily available, I.e. just walk into any Omega boutique worldwide and buy one.

I wish I'd been around in 1965 to buy one from new, so I'll just have to hope I can get a vintage one day, and keep dreaming about brand new ones being made by omega again.

macrodust likes this.
  2. hen Nov 7, 2023

Oh you mean a Speedmaster!

3. ninman Nov 7, 2023

No, I mean a brand new, as in just out the factory, Speedmaster reference 105012, for the same cost, if not lower than the current 3861 Speedmaster.

4. hen Nov 7, 2023

Doesnt seem very different from a Speedmaster, does it have dots in special places around the 90 or something?

5. ninman Nov 7, 2023

Other than the movement, the dial and the caseback, it's exactly the same.

6. Space22 Nov 7, 2023

Give this man a timemachine.

Mam, Hetcins1 and ninman like this.
  7. ATXWatch Nov 7, 2023

SM300 Spectre LE. Only 7007 made, on the rare side but needed to complete my collection of watches worn by 007 in the movies.

MasterDecastr likes this.
  8. cwillis0001 Nov 8, 2023

Pun and hen like this.
  9. Pastorbottle Nov 8, 2023

Probably a better option, it would be a bugger to find a hat that would go with those horns!

cwillis0001 likes this.
  10. Redondo444 Nov 9, 2023

The tdmp got sold even for that price
    IMG_20231109_083540.jpg

YYTIN and Zman4eva like this.
  11. Fallout Boy Nov 9, 2023

speedmaster art-deco by a.i. :D

ki omega artdeco1.jpg

12. Omegafan1959 Nov 9, 2023

Hi my OMEGA Graio wiratwatch is the OMEGA Seemaster Planet Ocean Master Chronomerter 45,5mm with the caliber 9900 and I have this wirstwatch bjt of clirse yoirs is beaitiful too & I love thw watch the Problem.is it's a Speedy/Speedmaster & appart Speeadmaster * Comstallationwirstwatches from Omefa & Ladymatic I lobe Omega Mkdels appart rje siver Models. Njt this Watch make am exeption damn yoi have a good taste1:thumbsup:

13. hen Nov 9, 2023

Yes that is a great watch a real work horse, its too big for me with a diameter of 45,5.

14. Ogion Nov 9, 2023

It’s definitely a close call, but I believe I have my preferred watch by Omega which is the original steel Aqua Terra world timer in the lovely blue which I think is different from what others on the forums will say. It certainly divides opinions. 2 years on the wrist with many situations on land and sea thrown at it and I still catch myself admiring it on a daily basis. My favourite world timer at any price point.

I own 2 books on the speedmaster and might have to pull the trigger one day, but when it came time to buy my first luxury watch, I researched many brands and wrote lists of what I wanted from a watch. I wanted wearability for my 7 inch wrists, durability, reliable movement, good/ excellent water resistance and a GMT function or better along with a watch that could be dressed up or down. The Worldtimer ticked all the boxes for me.

• I am now eyeing up JLC as my next potential which is a brand that excites me as much as Omega.

• The other watch I own by Omega which is apparently a grail for some vintage collectors is my grandfathers CK2077 that he wore on the job working as a military aeronautical engineer throughout WW2 which is being sympathetically serviced by Simon Freese.

IMG_2332.jpeg
    hen likes this.
  15. SoyuzPilot Nov 9, 2023

My grail is the 25th anniversary Apollo Soyuz - this would complete the set for me, but I've never actually seen one!
    [​IMG]

J!m, OneTwo, Trog and 4 others like this.
  16. ErichPryde Nov 12, 2023

I think Grail watches change every time you obtain a new watch or as your tastes change, but right now my Grail is a Snoopy 50th. I'm not the kind of person that collects a lot of watches, I would much rather have a small handful that really speak to me. The heritage on the Snoopy is nice, but it really comes down to the blue and silver-White colorway. I think the sort of blue panda look is truly fantastic, and I don't think there is another Omega quite like it in that way.

There are a lot of other omegas that I like and would be happy wearing, but that's the current Grail. When I was at the Bellevue Boutique this last week I had myself added to the waiting list- but don't have any expectation of seeing one soon.

Trog, OneTwo and hansmaulwurf like this.
  17. zinterz Nov 12, 2023

As a person who is yet to own an Omega, and wouldn't likely have the spare cash to spend on any more than one, I think I'd just go for the standard and versatile 3861 Sapphire Sandwich. I love it. It has everything I need or want.

Now, if I had more disposable income... let's talk Speedy Apollo 8, Speedy Snoopy 50th and birth year Speedy (1990).

18. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Nov 12, 2023

Hm,

that is a difficult question...! I divide that in two groups:

1) from the Speedys that I own: Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Moonshinegold

2) from the Speedys that I dont own: Original BA145.022

That is a beautiful watch with the best combination of Gold and Burgund
    that I have ever seen - and a solid golden tool watch with that history is absolutely
    unique and something for real Spacelovers

_20230212_161004.JPG

BR
    Hans

19. macrodust Nov 12, 2023

The Gemini 4 ticks a lot of the same boxes. Reversed panda, yes, but no silly cartoon on the dial.

IMG_2547.jpeg

20. ErichPryde Nov 12, 2023

I've looked at this one off and on, someone has one for sale in the sale section. But--- there's something about the white sub-blue, that I like better than the blue sub-white. I have considered modding something like a FOIS with a Mitsukoshi dial- as it ticks some similar boxes with the white dominant dial.

As far as the cartoon character goes, Snoopy doesn't bother me. He's there because Omega received a Silver Snoopy award, and that's the heritage. Why NASA chose snoopy for their award I can't really say and am even less fit to judge. It's a very, very, niche Omega-NASA kind of quirk, and honestly- that makes it more... meaningful to me in a weird way. Normally I wouldn't appreciate the cartoon character though, so I get where you might be coming from.

macrodust likes this.