Forums Latest Members

What is a "dress watch" today?

1. SkunkPrince Jul 14, 2020

Sort of curious which of my watches might be considered a "dress watch". I would wear any of them with jeans or business casual. With a suit? Perhaps any of them again, but not likely. For example, I have a few military or military-inspired. Those are likely a bit too casual.

My Omega 2627s, one gold on steel, the other gold fill (with two reference numbers) are definitely dress watches.

Here is a pic:
    IMG_0257.jpeg

From left to right:

1. Lemania rose-gold maual wind
    2. Croton Aquamatic
    3. Omega Railmaster LE
    4. Omega CK 2390 with 30T2

I would consider any of these a dress watch. How about you?

Zapatta and wagudc like this.
  2. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jul 14, 2020

Purely a personal view but my take is that the Omega (4) and the Lemania would qualify as 'dress' watches, fine dressed down but also good with a 'lounge' suit or a dinner jacket (tuxedo) but the other two, whilst perfectly nice, and wearable with anything, are not classic dress watches.

I await the justifiable brickbats!

queriver, ChiefMark and cassius66 like this.
  3. Shabbaz Jul 14, 2020

1, 2 and 4.

Tony, cassius66, kkt and 1 other person like this.
  4. wristpirate Jul 14, 2020

1. the gold Lemania.

IMO dress watches are made of precious metals. Stainless steel is toolwatch territory.

Zapatta, cassius66 and kkt like this.
  5. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jul 14, 2020

I’d probably agree with you, at least in part, if dress watches were worn exclusively with evening dress but stainless steel had a 'cachet' when it was first introduced and is perfectly fine with a daytime lounge suit and, arguably, a little less ostentatious (?).

(More brickbats heading my way? It’s just that I’m English and we have a poor reputation for being finicky about these things :))

noelekal and Charlemagne1333 like this.
  6. Dan S Jul 14, 2020

The Railmaster seems sporty to me. But by today's standards, the other three could serve as dress watches IMO.

7. Shabbaz Jul 14, 2020

I think it depends on the occassion and the job. For me as a lawyer I dont think it's appropiate (how do you write this) to wear a gold watch. It's a bit to flashy and people may think they are paying me for the watch iso the knowledge. Under a suit SS watches look great and they are in my book the ultimate suit and dress watches. But I do like gold as well. But more for the evening during a business dinner or a tuxedo evening. By the way, I like my gold watches the most with slippers and bermuda

Kmart, sah, cassius66 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jul 14, 2020

Also speaking as a lawyer, I agree with my learned friend ;)

Shabbaz likes this.
  9. MtV Jul 14, 2020

Not a lawyer, but completely with you two. Gold watches are evening accessories for me, imo it’s just that tiny bit too... showy is already too strong a word. It looks like a more special occasion, let’s put it like this. That’s not to say that I don’t like or wear them, quite the contrary. But for work (in a suit) I find myself usually picking the steel examples.

Spruce and Shabbaz like this.
  10. Engee Jul 14, 2020

1,2 and 4. Certainly the Lemania, but that's not to say that a gold watch can't be distinctly un-dressy if it's on a casual strap. I have a gold-plate 162.009 on a blue leather strap and to me it's very jeansy.

11. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jul 14, 2020

I just felt that the Croton Aquamatic, nice though it is, looked a little too sporty. The dial is not conventionally classic, with the deco numerals, and the case is a little 'clunkier' than is usually the case, as would befit an elderly waterproof watch.

Engee likes this.
  12. amcclell Jul 14, 2020

1, 2 and 4. I am a civil servant and have no issues with gold. Nobody but me knows whether it is gold capped or solid.

Zapatta and Shabbaz like this.
  13. Heisen0erg Jul 14, 2020

For me personally, anything would qualify as a dress watch A) that is meant to be paired with a leather strap (or a milanese), B) that has a simple dial (preferably uni color) and no complications (I would even go as far as to say that the watch shouldn't have any seconds. Only hours and minutes. Perfect for when you go out to a nice classy place, where you meet people and where time should be forgotten while you enjoy yourself.). Criteria C) is that the potential watch needs to be ultra slim so that it easily fits under a nice dress and So that it makes you forget the watch and the time altogether.

My perfect dress watch would be this beauty:
    9DAE6863-949C-453E-B7A2-EFD263225AB5.jpeg

But since you want us to comment on your watches:
    I would say watch 1, 2 and 4 are to be considered dress watches. The Railmaster not so much since it reminds me somewhat of the windows on a submarine boat.

Kmart, George.A, Wetworks and 3 others like this.
  14. SkunkPrince Jul 14, 2020

You do not know how much this tempts me!

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-int/h38525771-jazzmaster.html

h38525771_laidview.jpg

15. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jul 14, 2020

Kmart, Shabbaz, wristpirate and 6 others like this.
  16. SkunkPrince Jul 14, 2020

When you have that nice Lemania, you can do without the Hamilton. Believe it or not, I am trying to be responsible!

17. arturo7 Jul 14, 2020

Simple dial + gold, ss, or black leather band.

Spruce likes this.
  18. KingCrouchy Jul 14, 2020

I just discovered the Boulton on the Hamilton Website, and now I want it.::facepalm1::

71PHqJkkYyL._AC_UL1500_.jpg
    George.A, Wetworks and 3nicewatches like this.
  19. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jul 14, 2020

Yeah, I also went sniffing around the Hamilton website as well after that earlier post. Sometimes, this forum is bad news!

KingCrouchy likes this.
  20. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 14, 2020

Funny, but the one I would reach for is #3 (Railmaster). I always need to tone down the whole 'dressed up' thing. I stopped wearing my gold Movado dress watch two decades ago.