What else do you collect?

Ever since this little guy showed up in our area a few years ago:

I collect piles of wood...ash specifically. This pile is two large ash trees we had right at the corner of our garage that we spent thousands trying to save, and then more thousands having cut down when the treatments failed to save them:

Here is where they used to be...

We have several more trees that need to come down yet, and we have already taken down at least a dozen...the ash makes great firewood though!

Cheers, Al

That would be one of my Lilac bushes covered in burlap to try to protect it when they cut those trees down...

There was a tv program that is all about wood fire burning. It lasted for 24 hours, and it was live, it might be on you tube, it was made in Norway so not sure if they have subtitles. They also made one about a train journey from bergen to Oslo that was broadcast live and another one about a ship journey up the coast of norway that was broadcast live for 3 days. They were strangely entertaining.

Nothing better than a nice welsh lamb, makes a change from shagging the missus three times a day.

Being a Scotsman, I can appreciate that! :D

Other than watches, Fountain pens.
Need to post pics! What brands do you collect?

Other than watches, Fountain pens.
Used to be a passion for me when I was young and romantic. Now I'm old, clueless, and words flow from my fingertips to the keyboard...
Actually sold my prize Mont Blanc Lorenzo de Medici last year via the 'bay, along with more pedestrian Mont Blanc and Waterman pens including my beautiful LeMan Opera fountain.
Still have the Opera ballpoint. Used it every day at work for a decade, and it shows. That's one example of an item I would rather keep than sell. For its condition it wouldn't bring much. But there's no harm in keeping it for ol' times sake...

Men's boot
left: 1920's-early 1930's unknown bootmaker, right: 1940's Nocona boot.

IMG_5231 (Copy).JPG

Like 4
Men's boot
left: 1920's-early 1930's unknown bootmaker, right: 1940's Nocona boot.

IMG_5231 (Copy).JPG

Nokona made some nice gloves as well. Here's a 40's split finger from my collection:

20150630_165046.jpg

Like 3
Archaic calculating devices.

The one on the right killed the one on the left, in 1973. Both still work well, 40+ years later.
IMG_0280.JPG

Like 3
My dad had one of those calculators, I used to love going to his office and playing with it. His had one of those paper print thingies that made it feel like you were doing something important instead of just buggering about.

Like 1
I have a large seashell collection which I keep scattered on beaches all over the world. Maybe you've seen it.

--Steven Wright

Like 3
Nokona made some nice gloves as well. Here's a 40's split finger from my collection:

20150630_165046.jpg

My first "real" glove (circa mid 1960's) was a Nokona, as were my first Big Boy boots, bought at the factory outlet in Nocona.

Like 1
My first "real" glove (circa mid 1960's) was a Nokona, as were my first Big Boy boots, bought at the factory outlet in Nocona.

Nokona made some very nice gloves. I don't have any from the 60s, but this is a "Don Hoak" model from 1958/59. 2nd most expensive in their catalog that year, $25.95

20150630_233246.jpg

Like 2
Cloth - suitings and shirtings in different weaves and construction. Not exactly a collection since they will be made up eventually.

Nokona made some very nice gloves. I don't have any from the 60s, but this is a "Don Hoak" model from 1958/59. 2nd most expensive in their catalog that year, $25.95

20150630_233246.jpg
Remarkable condition! Testament to the manufacturer or the owner? Or both?
I have an old Wilson somewhere, but I remember it's a Billy Loes model. He pitched for the Brooklyn Dodgers.
I used to collect baseball cards, and still have complete sets from 1973 through 1990 (don't honestly remember the last one I got). Oh, and LP's including a peeled Beatles butcher cover and Elvis' first, and my mom's Chantels album with the ladies dressed in their beautiful pink plantation dresses. Sadly controversial in its day, it was quickly replaced with a cover showing two white kids at a jukebox.

Remarkable condition! Testament to the manufacturer or the owner? Or both?
I have an old Wilson somewhere, but I remember it's a Billy Loes model. He pitched for the Brooklyn Dodgers.

I think people that bought top of the line or near top tended to take care of their gloves. $26 for a glove in 1958 must have been a significant outlay. Plus the leather and construction were top notch.

Your Billy Loes Wilson would have been made in 1956. Catalog shows it made just one year and retailed for $7.95

Like 1
I'm a sucker for vintage briefcases/messenger bags. Also have a bunch of wallets and sunglasses.

vintagebags.jpg

Like 4
I'm a sucker for vintage briefcases/messenger bags. Also have a bunch of wallets and sunglasses.

vintagebags.jpg
Any Holland Sport? ;)
See my earlier post in this thread, #109.