Forums Latest Members
  1. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 21, 2015

Oddboy posed this question to me in another thread, and suggested starting a thread on the topic, so here is goes.

Why do you collect Omega?

For me, it comes from my years of collecting vintage Rolex, mainly sport models. I always upgraded my collection when possible to affordable, original examples with the best patina possible. When I bought I watch (non-Rolex), I always made sure that I would be able to make $500+ profit when the time came to sell--this enabled me to have a liquid core collection whose market value was rather certain and I could flip easily when the time was right to fund the next purchase. Luckily I was able to acquire some nice examples at fair prices over the years.

Over the years I have owned PP, AP, PAM, Rolex, Omega--all in all over 100 watches, yet I always came back to Rolex, until recently.

Why? Because the Rolex market is too expensive for my blood now, yet you can still find amazing vintage Omegas in original condition with killer patina for pennies on the Rolex dollar. Plus Omegas are much easier to source parts and have serviced. Not too mention all of the different models that Omega produced in the 1960-1980 time period.

From a few feet away it is very difficult to tell the difference from my MKIV Red Sub, 1680 White Sub, and 1665 Great White, yet when you do the same with my PloProf, 165.024 and 166.091, the difference is striking. I like the choice of truly different models, and not just nuanced dial variants that only be determined under a loupe.

The thrill is in the hunt, and as far as vintage Rolex goes, that hunt is not fun anymore as all of the birds are pen raised whereas there are plenty of wild Omega birds out there. I attribute this to the fact that the Rolex market has been so strong that the ebay algorithms alert people to the value of their watch. The same is not true for Omega, as the algorithms suggest bizarre and highly inaccurate starting bid of BIN prices.

The smaller community is a huge plus, and I like the fact that the brand has always flown under the radar. Omega may not have the brand cache as Rolex, and that is fine by me, as I am well beyond the name, and all about the originality and patina, and for me Omega is the clear choice in the market.

When anyone asks me what kind of watches I collect, I let them know, "the ones that I find."

Edited Dec 21, 2015
    oddboy likes this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 21, 2015

This

tpatta likes this.
  3. Canuck Dec 21, 2015

I'm a watch omnivore. I don't collect Omega exclusively. I had a real nice Constellation about 25 years ago. A brother in law needed a watch, so, stupidly, I gave him the Constellation. He left it in his car, in plain sight, while he played tennis! You know the rest!

The first Omega I ever "collected" (as in bought) was when I worked for an Omega dealer. He didn't like me wearing Rolex at work. So he told me to choose an Omega, and he would sell it to me at dealer cost. That was when I acquired my Apollo XI 20th anniversary commemorative one. A short time later, I acquired my Speedmaster reduced in rose gold and steel. From there, in my constant search for watches in general, the odd Omega popped up, and if I liked it and the price was right, I acquired it. To be very honest, I have been given at least 6 Omegas, from one source or another. That comes from having been in the watch repair business for a lot longer than many of you dear readers have been alive. And having been actively "networking" as a collector for 40 years. Since my newest Omega is 25 years old, I guess you could say I don't have much interest in new Omega stuff. Particularly anything co-axial!

Noles_88 likes this.
  4. Kit352 Dec 21, 2015

My wife gave me my first . She is the real collector in the family. I stick with Tag and Tudor unless I see a really nice omega I like. I tend to stay with the smaller low profile omega's.

5. joerg Dec 21, 2015

Moonlanding was around my birthday. Actually "Houston we have a problem" brings me into trouble today.

The sport side of Omega attracts me, I used to be an athlete in track and field and Omega did a lot in that section.

James Bond added the rest.

But I am still not a collector, I am a hunter. I have to learn to hold them longer....never lost money on my buying prices, but lost a lot of profit....

Greatpa likes this.
  6. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Dec 21, 2015

Wow. To think im 27. Lol.

7. Canuck Dec 21, 2015

I was two years short of being a "senior", when you were born! (Assuming that we are considered a senior at 50.) Better to be over the hill than under it. Besides, what counts is not how young you are, but how old you're not!

Noles_88 likes this.
  8. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Dec 21, 2015

I meant in no offense. Just in case sir. Just astonished at how long you have been collecting. I hope i can achieve that one day sir. :D

9. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 21, 2015

Age has nothing to do with collecting, I have been collecting for 30 years now...and I am only 36!

Noles_88 likes this.
  10. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Dec 21, 2015

Not sure if i qualify for this thread. But im graduating this may from college. I picked omega because of the amazing achievement they did with their watch being the first on the moon. I loved the speedmaster. So i picked the birth year watch of my mother 69 premoon. Also because its something i feel is my greatest acheivement as of now i felt this was the perfect watch. My mothers birth year with an amazing achievement for both.

ac106 likes this.
  11. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Dec 21, 2015

I agree sir. Age has nothing to do with it. Was just trying to say that its awesome how long hes been collecting. Thats all.

12. vintageguy3 Dec 21, 2015

13. vintageguy3 Dec 21, 2015

because they're tough & cool. I have a MOD thin arrow with the 30T2 movement that
    keeps time with the best of them.

14. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Dec 21, 2015

Because I bought one...then I bought another...then...

heavenscloud likes this.
  15. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 21, 2015

Quality and variety.

heavenscloud likes this.
  16. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 21, 2015

As a teenager I was taught by a Patek trained watchmaker that Omega was the "best for the bucks".
    Other than Rolex is the easiest to resell or trade; IMHO Omega remains the "best for the bucks" ::popcorn::

Wongo likes this.
  17. jfo2010 Dec 21, 2015

James Bond wears them.

Hopefully he goes to the moon in the next movie!

18. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 21, 2015

He has already been there...Moonraker, but I believe that was the awful Seiko Bond era...so does it count?

19. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 21, 2015

There were far more awful things about Moonraker than the LCD Seiko.

20. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 21, 2015

When I was much younger, early 20s, I saw an ad for a Speedmaster and fell in lust.

Fast forward to age 29 and I found a nice-looking Omega at a flea market and bought it. Spent a lot of money on that one over the years. Got divorced and couldn't stand to wear it any more because of associations with my ex-wife.

Early 30s, I worked a side job for $2000 and bought a Speedmaster Replica. At a subsequent service, changed bezel and hands to Moon Watch.

Now I'm 50 and decided it was time to get a Seamaster because I always missed having a Seamaster and I wanted something with a bit more oomph in the lume. Stumbled across a WatchCo Seamaster 300 at the right time and paid the somewhat inflated price for the alleged NOS movement. Quite happy with it, and it hasn't left my wrist since, except for a day here and there for wearing the Speedmaster.

So I don't really collect Omega unless two watches count as a collection... but I am very happy with them and I will be wearing Omega the rest of my life.

Tom

IMG_0361.jpg