Forums Latest Members
  1. TexOmega Jul 1, 2015

I can attest to the manufacture's high quality, skill and stellar customer service up to the point Miss Enid sold circa 1980.

After 8-9 years of hard use, I sent my glove back with a note on how it was cracking inside, wanting a quote on repair since I liked the glove so much. Well, no quote was forthcoming. But a couple a weeks later my glove showed up, completely remade on the inside with new stitching. A note was inside thanking me for liking their glove "and it showed" along with a tube of Nokona leather conditioner. No charge. They said they were just happy I was happy with their glove. Big impression on this 13-14 year old kid at the time, and still fondly remembered.

It's around here somewhere, I'll post a picture when I run across it. It will look a lot like the Don Hoak model you have there, Dad gave both me and my brother the same model, they were probably on close out at L B Mercantile Sporting Goods when he bought them, and could date to the late 1950's. I ended up using my brothers all through High School since it never got a lot of use and mine was too loosey-goosey by then. The leather had been beat up. Made for a great softball glove for me in a few coed leagues through college and afterwards.

AAAKK likes this.
  2. redpcar Jul 1, 2015

Nope. No Holland Sport / Mulholland. There are 2 Rawlings (also made in USA). The Bridge, Bally, Coach (before they started making in China), and a few other misc.
    All of these have been purchased in the course of searching for cool watches. I have a routine when rummaging through the junk stores: 1. watches 2. leather goods 3. sunglasses 4. golf clubs.

3. Pvt-Public Jul 1, 2015

More of an accumulation than a collection, but stuff lots of stuff. And that's just a small slice of the basement, I don't want to even think about the rest.
    P7012067.JPG
    And some day I will have to go through it all.:eek:

noelekal likes this.
  4. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jul 1, 2015

Maybe you need to call The American Pickers ;)

5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 1, 2015

Home at lunch, looking in.

What about really neato vintage sunglasses? My favorite Maui Jim's (Fleming Beach model I think) get a constant work-out but I love vintage items and it'd be fun to add a pair or two of vintage sunglasses to the menagerie. I have a pair of what may be scarce vintage Bausch & Lomb aviator style shooting glasses but they don't really work for daily wear. Any recommendations?

6. Pvt-Public Jul 1, 2015

they'd take one look and run away screaming.::rant:

7. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 1, 2015

I'm no pro, but B&L made aviators with the green/grey G-15 lenses too. Persol pre-Luxotica seem collectible too.
    You could always check the 'bay, then sort from high to low price to get some ideas. Or wait for a qualified collector to respond!

noelekal likes this.
  8. redpcar Jul 1, 2015

Persol?

persol (2).jpg

9. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 1, 2015

And I thought I was sick...
    Alas, my four pairs are all Luxotica/post-Ratti models...

10. travisrock Jul 2, 2015

currently? debt. and stress. haha. Full time nursing student with a girlfriend that's pre-med applying to 19 (yes, you read that correctly- one nine) med schools all across the US, with 3 being within reasonable driving distance to where we live, so, since she'll need some help- white knight over here has to save the day. May end up resulting in me either taking out loans (co-signed with her) or selling my recently acquired 165.024 to help pay for inevitable flights to interviews, hotel rooms, transportation, etc. :(

Previously, before my new-found source(s) of debt and stress, cameras (and use them, a lot- Leicas in particular), and I'm a car enthusiast so I'd get a new older "fun" car every once in a while in addition to a daily driver. Now I'm stuck with a 2011 Jetta TDI, my Leica M3 SS (single stroke, not the heinous branch of the third Reich) with 50mm F2 DR Summicron, and a Fuji mirrorless set up (XT1 with a few primes) ... for the time being. :D

11. lillatroll Jul 2, 2015

Ah young love, remember that you thought it was worth it at the time, after she dumps you for some superstar surgeon who likes to hit on his students.....(don't sell the watch)

only kidding I am sure you will be one of the lucky 50% ( dont sell the watch)

Billyp7718 likes this.
  12. travisrock Jul 2, 2015

haha thanks for rekindling my insecurities- she does however, absolutely hate surgeons, so I should be safe :unsure:

Selling it will be last resort if I don't see taking out a loan feasible or justifiable, depends on how much money is needed at the time. We'll see :coffee:

13. Billyp7718 Jul 2, 2015

What he said

14. bronxbomber252 Jul 2, 2015

Oh, I forgot, Tattoos.

Mine:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

My wife's
    [​IMG]

15. batugajah Jul 3, 2015

Messy

16. bronxbomber252 Jul 3, 2015

???

17. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Jul 3, 2015

Going for the award for oddest collection.......vintage cast-iron skillets from the early 1900s (some older). Brands like Erie and Griswold are considered the best, but I like Favorite as well. The quality of the iron used in these older pans is not even from the same planet as what is used today. Much lighter and very smooth -- no comparison. For those of you who cook, using a well seasoned vintage skillet is similar to using the best non-stick surfaces created today only with the benefits (and romance) June 3 2015 022.JPG of cast-iron. I have about 20 skillets of varying sizes. Here are three.......

STANDY, khmt2, noelekal and 4 others like this.
  18. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 3, 2015

YOU TOO?
    Yeah, just kidding. That is odd. But strangely very cool.
    Is there a forum for that?

19. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Jul 3, 2015

Many, many forums.......and societies too! For me, it really is about buying and using them for actual cooking.....but since there is zero need for 20 of them....and they are very cool.........it must be a collection!

timeismoney and styggpyggeno1 like this.
  20. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 5, 2015

I'm pretty sure that makes you a "Skillector."
    Sorry, I've been doing that all night and someone made the mistake of laughing, which naturally encouraged me...

timeismoney and RawArcher like this.