Watchco 300 Omega 552 movement stopped after hand-winding

I have a Watchco Seamaster 300 with 552 movement that I've owned for 11 years. It's worked fine for years. I had the movement checked and adjusted by a professional watchmaker a a few years ago.

Today, I hand wound the movement as I haven't worn it in a couple of days. When hand winding it, I heard a "snap" and the movement no longer runs.

Any thoughts on what may be the issue?

The stem works and can be pulled out to the winding and setting position. The hands move freely when setting the time by turning the crown both backwards and forwards. And the movement makes the normal clicking winding sound when the crown is turned in the winding position.

I just doesn't run. If I pull the crown all the way out to the setting position, and turn the crown slightly counter clockwise, the second hand ticks for about 5 seconds and then stops.

Thoughts?

Mainspring busted. Cheap and easy fix.

It's possible that the mainspring has snapped, probably close to the arbor. Therefore no power can be transmitted to the train.

Does anyone know the correct OEM replacement mainspring part number/s for the 552 movement?

You said that you had a watchmaker “check and adjust it” a few years ago. That typically is NOT a full service, merely to check it on a timing machine and adjust the balance cock to bring it back into a better rate. Since you’ve had the watch for 11 years (who knows when that movement was last fully serviced), I’d have a full service and not just replace the mainspring.

My dollar is on a busted mainspring too. Just take it to any competent watchmaker.

Does anyone know the correct OEM replacement mainspring part number/s for the 552 movement?

72205501208 | MAINSPRING

You said that you had a watchmaker “check and adjust it” a few years ago. That typically is NOT a full service, merely to check it on a timing machine and adjust the balance cock to bring it back into a better rate. Since you’ve had the watch for 11 years (who knows when that movement was last fully serviced), I’d have a full service and not just replace the mainspring.

Thanks. About 3 years ago, the watchmaker inspected it and told me it didn't yet need a tear down and relube. He just adjusted it.

Do you have any recommendations on where in the USA I should have this fully serviced?

Thanks. About 3 years ago, the watchmaker inspected it and told me it didn't yet need a tear down and relube. He just adjusted it.

Do you have any recommendations on where in the USA I should have this fully serviced?

If you tell us where you are located, we can probably narrow it down to closer than “somewhere in the USA.” for example, I know of watchmakers in Austin, TX and the Tampa Bay Area, but if you are in LA, that’s not really helpful.

If you tell us where you are located, we can probably narrow it down to closer than “somewhere in the USA.” for example, I know of watchmakers in Austin, TX and the Tampa Bay Area, but if you are in LA, that’s not really helpful.

I live in Texas. Thanks!

After a full service, how accurate, in general, is the 552 movement capable of being? I never really achieved COSC accuracy out of the 552 movement in my Watchco. Watchco said they didn't regulate it. But the movement itself looked pristine -- like it had seen very little use/wear.I've read that +16 seconds was Omega's standard, which seems like a conservative rating that gives the corporate parent a lot of wiggle room to underperform given that the 551 movement in the chronometer grade Constellation was essentially the same as the 552. Are they in fact the same movement?

Does the 552 have a good system to prevent hand over-winding? I'm wondering if the apparent broken mainspring was a result of accidental overwinding on my part.

Are the OEM Omega branded 1208 mainsprings for the 550 series objectively better performers than aftermarket mainsprings? Will an Omega Boutique sell a mainspring to a customer? Or do they restrict access to these parts?

Sorry for all the questions! 😀
Edited:

Does the 552 have a good system to prevent hand over-winding? I'm wondering if the apparent broken mainspring was a result of accidental overwinding on my part................

Auto mainsprings have a slipping tail end (bridle) that slides around the wall of the barrel when the mainspring is coiled around the arbor (thus releasing pressure on the outer or tail end of the spring). The barrel wall should be coated in a special grease the stops slipping until a "break point" is reached, then it will slip around the barrel wall until pressure on the outer end of the spring builds up again.

I suspect your spring just broke due age and metal fatigue from the constant unwinding/winding.

Omega will not sell YOU anything. Just Watches....

That's what I was afraid of. Does Omega allow independent watchmakers to purchase OEM Omega 1208 main springs for their customers? Or is Omega trying to force customers to take their vintage watches to an Omega Boutique for an official (and pricey) Omega service?

Independent watchmakers can gain Omega Certification and then they have access to most of Omega's parts inventory.

PS: They cannot buy on your behalf, they are under an obligation to only purchase parts for watches that they service. Anyone caught on-selling would lose certification immediately.

Just email Otto Frei or Jules Borel and just mention Omega 552 mainspring

OEM or generic. OEM maybe about $25.00 not including tax or shipping

No idea on generic

After a full service, how accurate, in general, is the 552 movement capable of being? I never really achieved COSC accuracy out of the 552 movement in my Watchco. Watchco said they didn't regulate it. But the movement itself looked pristine -- like it had seen very little use/wear.I've read that +16 seconds was Omega's standard, which seems like a conservative rating that gives the corporate parent a lot of wiggle room to underperform given that the 551 movement in the chronometer grade Constellation was essentially the same as the 552. Are they in fact the same movement?

Omega specs for the 550/560 series require that the average daily rate, measured over 3 positions, falls between 0 and +18 seconds per day, with a target rate of +9 seconds per day. They are of course, with the right attention, capable of much better than this.

There's no difference in the parts used between the COSC and normal versions of the 550/560 series watches. The only difference is the amount of attention paid when they were adjusted.

Omega will not sell YOU anything. Just Watches....

Omega will sell accessories - straps, buckles, clasps, bracelets, etc. They will not sell any part of the watch head though...