Forums Latest Members
  1. ezyddlb Jun 9, 2020

Greetings everyone.
    IMG_20200608_132304.jpg
    I've got a 1960s omega sea master (automatic and date) which I have loved owning for the past year or so.

However in the past 3 months it has started to gain time and would occasionally stop, only to restart with a 'tap' on the face. It has now stopped completely.

I am a reasonably accomplished mechanic, but I am a total novice with watches. In my ignorance I thought I'd have a look to see what I can see.

The mainspring is still functional and was fully wound (I unwound it). If I apply very light pressure to the second hand gears (I'm aware that my technical vocab is lacking) , the watch will tick nicely. It seems that power is not being transfered from the spring to the rest of the mechanism.

I realise I probably am wholly unqualified for this task. But if anyone had a recommendation of a part to check, or where to look, I'd be very grateful. I'm keen to learn.

By way of introduction, hello to the forum and thanks for all the info compiled here.

David

Edited Jun 9, 2020
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 9, 2020

[​IMG]

DaveK likes this.
  3. ezyddlb Jun 9, 2020

Thanks that's cleared it up.

Although i hasten to add its back together

4. ChrisN Jun 9, 2020

Well done for letting down the mainspring to release the torque before taking the train bridge off.

Unfortunately, the issue could be one of many things and you really need a watchmaker to look at it. You can't just take a few parts off and see what might make it work again and, even if you get it going, the parts will be dirty and wearing themselves out. The best way is to ask here for a watchmaker in your area who can strip/clean/inspect/lubricate/rebuild your movement. Don't try and put it back together as I can see that you have at least one wheel misplaced and you'll likely cause damage.

Good luck, Chris

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 9, 2020

Check all the parts, I think I saw a few teeth missing on a cog. (Can you put the pictures back)

You need a watchmaker as that was one dirty movement.

6. ezyddlb Jun 9, 2020

Thanks Chris,

I actually rebuilt the train bridge purely to see if I could.

It functions correctly. I realise I am perhaps way in over my head. And I was naive to think I could just open the movement and find something. I was hoping it would be jammed with lint or debris. The movement is filthy like you say.

I shall defer to the professional and practice on an old seiko

Thanks

Dave

efauser likes this.
  7. ChrisN Jun 9, 2020

Yes, the movement is dirty and it takes very little to stop these as the forces are so small. That's why it needs completely stripping and cleaning before reassembly. Again, well done for getting the train bridge back on - many would have broken something doing that!

If I might suggest an ETA 6497/6498 Chinese clone to try out as they are not expensive and are the ones we learn on in a watchmaking course. The Seiko calibres have their quirks...

Cheers, Chris