Forums Latest Members
  1. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 8, 2019

As someone that gets accused of being a Hard Alcohol snob on a regular basis I really hate the term Snob. Snob implies that you look down on affordably priced items. While its true that I have large amounts of expensive Whisky and other Spirits, its not all about price. Yes, the stuff at higher price points is normally measurably better, more complex, better balanced, more from the heart of the cut of the distillation etc and I have the knowledge and experience to judge it.... But I love affordable spirits also... Bullet Rye, Bombay Gin, Tito's vodka, etc is all great stuff! I was in the wine world for awhile but the snobbery was too much for me... Not everything can be a $200 bottle... Its true that I dislike over oaked CA Chards with a passion only reserved for Corona and Heineken beer... but that is another story...

As for tires I am a bit of a reverse snob... While I have a performance car, I run 275 rears (frankly 255 should be enough) and don't track the car in So Cal which means it never rains. I shopped the best deal I could get on Summer Ultra High performance tires, and have settled on Dunlop Direzzas after trying some other options from Goodyear etc... Look good, quiet, sticky enough for street driving and much cheaper then the Pilot's of any grade. I hate it when I see DOT R's like RS-4's, RE-71r's, Pilot Sport Cups, etc on street cars that will never hit the track, esp when they are running too low on high camber for fitment... Congrats you have a tire that will wear out very quickly, sucks if you hit any rain or water on the street and cost 2-3x as much per tire. Its just appears as conspicuous consumption, while I think they don't even know enough to know the tires the worst choice possible for what they are doing. Even the Super Car guys running around on those on the street just makes me shake my head... No reason unless your on the track... don't even get me started on Carbon Ceramic brakes...

I get asked about watch snobbery alot, and I usually say its the people that don't know anything about watches that are snobs. I tell people that a true watch guy who could be wearing a Patek would be more interested in my currently still affordable if you hunt Seiko 6117-8000 then the guy next to me wearing a new Ceramic Sub. Odds are anyone with a 6117-8000 (Review) has many other interesting pieces in their collection and took some time to hunt one down as they are not exactly common in very good condition. Granted I would flip out over a Playtona... but that is a great looking watch and anyone that has one only incidentally has alot of money. I don't think most where purchased just because of the price. I am still conflicted over what I think about John Mayers take on the Rainbow Daytona... really torn on it... at least in regards to casually talking about 300k watches and who would wear them.

TLDR: If the interest in something is primarily due to the cost and/or the cost is almost always perceived as an indicator of quality/desirability, its Snobbish... Looks at all the G Wagons that drive around in my area...

Edited Jun 8, 2019
  2. tyrantlizardrex Jun 8, 2019

Being enthusiastic, being an exhibitionist, and being a snob are three very different things.

One without the others is entirely possible.

Als 27, MMMD, flw and 8 others like this.
  3. Omegafanman Jun 9, 2019

Trying to be serious for once I guess we all risk some snobbery (believing our tastes in a particular area are superior to those of other people). What matters is recognising personal choice and that one person’s meat is anothers murder. Clearly, they are some widely accepted cultural values which help define bad taste and bad behaviour but again that can tip into group think and discrimination so it is important to keep an open mind and consider other views IMHO. I certainly do get turned off by financial snobbery related to watches which seems very prevalent (but thankfully not on this forum :0)……. Now I must start a new thread on all my redials…….

noelekal and JwRosenthal like this.
  4. Omegafanman Jun 9, 2019

In terms of trendy snobs this always makes me smile...… about 30 years and a plastic cover......and we call it progress :0)

5. jpjsavage Jun 9, 2019

Hopefully not a snob. Enthusiast is better.

noelekal likes this.
  6. alam Jun 9, 2019

:thumbsup: and would love to see some of those turntables! :rolleyes:

noelekal likes this.
  7. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 9, 2019

I'm opinionated about watches, if somewhat unschooled. OmegaForums has been an invaluable education to me, but I'm not qualified as postgraduate.

I'm a firearms snob. If a firearm is fabricated out of cast steel, sheet metal, aluminum alloy, or plastic (polymer as the aficionados are wont to call it) then I'm not having it. It's forged blue steel and walnut for me and bonus points awarded if it's a John M. Browning design.

In numismatics, I'm a condition rarity snob. I prefer a higher grade common date and mintage coin that is sharply struck over a low mintage worn slug.

CTS-V and JwRosenthal like this.
  8. JwRosenthal Jun 9, 2019

I shoot trap and skeet, same for me (steel & wood) I hate to call myself a snob (discriminating is kinder word), but when I see someone come out on the range dressed in camo with a composite pump action and puts his box of shells on the ground- I actually leave the field...that dude will kill my rythme as I know he won’t be in synch with the rest of us. It’s not about snobbery at that point, it’s about knowing when someone isn’t in the game at the same level.
    In contrast, I love when I see young guys come out with their new shiny Benelli’s and vests-with-many-pockets and give the side-eye to my well “patina’d” BT-99 that I have used for 20 years (and was 25 years old when I bought it)....that old girl can break anything that fly’s in front of it.

MTROIS, CTS-V, noelekal and 1 other person like this.
  9. whyboddau Jun 14, 2019

I’d identify with watch wienie...

10. Doogie8 Jun 14, 2019

I've always loved watches but only the past few years have really started learning more about the history of the brands, movements, complications, etc.

My co worker is always rocking a Batman or carbon fiber Hublot and it inspired me to splurge on a Milgauss, and though I absolutely love it I can't help but feel I out kicked my coverage and can't enjoy it as an everyday wear out of fear.

I neglected all the watches in my collection that felt right because I wanted to be seen wearing a Rolex. That's when I realized I was becoming a brand snob and needed to get back to wearing and buying what FEELS right.

MTROIS likes this.
  11. CTS-V Jun 14, 2019

".....I ain't trying to be the best at exercising!..."

12. ChrisN Jun 14, 2019

Pirelli P Zeros, Michelin something or others, turntables?

If you're not running Dunlop R5s cross-ply (bias) tyres with no sidewall protection and NAB hub reel to reel tape for audio, then I won't even speak to you:D
    revox.jpg

Cheers, Chris

13. GarethS Jun 14, 2019

Serves you right for not showing up with a Lambretta...

Fritz and ChrisN like this.
  14. GarethS Jun 14, 2019

+1 for the P-Zero. Fantastic grip wear compromise and the construction makes for a far more circular contact patch which results in significantly less steering corruption.

Tyre snob. Perhaps...

15. wagudc Jun 14, 2019

If you know chalk you know this. I won't use anything else. It's like butter. That's right, I'm a chalk snob.

61es5vp-oel._sl1000_.jpg

Edited Jun 14, 2019
    mr_smith, MTROIS, flw and 3 others like this.
  16. michael22 Jun 14, 2019

What is this even for?

marco and ICONO like this.
  17. wagudc Jun 14, 2019

Writing on a chalkboard. I'm a math professor.

18. wagudc Jun 14, 2019

Als 27, MTROIS and michael22 like this.
  19. JwRosenthal Jun 14, 2019

Love that you still use chalkboards and not a white board. And totally get the chalk snobbery...some of that cheap chalk just sucks

20. wagudc Jun 14, 2019

Mathematics use the chalk board a lot and have to fight the other disciplines who like to use whiteboards. White board markers are wasteful, smell bad and stain clothes.

Other chalk is brittle, doesn't lay down enough material to make a bright line, and flows poorly. Hagoromo has a larger diameter, doesn't break, and is so smooth. Plus, it has a coating that reduces the dust on your hands.

Als 27 and MTROIS like this.