Forums Latest Auctions Members
  1. Walrus

Walrus Jun 8, 2019

Are you a watch snob? I realized back in the day I was a cigar snob. Loaded with Cubans, knew all the different leaves and aging methods. Could tell a Cuban from a fake with a look and a smell. I determined this as I put my humidor up for sale that is chalk full of special edition Cuban cigars of limited make with aged tobacco. I started getting these calls from people who used to be like me asking me all kinds of questions not so much for answers but to show me how knowledgeable they are. I took the damn thing off the internet. I don’t smoke anymore but one thousand dollars, that’s all I was asking the humidor alone is not worth that, isn’t worth listening to the drone.

I like watches a lot but I don’t want to be like that with anything again. I didn’t realize how bad i must have been until I heard others.

All I can do is pray before I go to bed, lord please don’t let me be a watch snob. They are very nice objects to appreciate but in the grand scheme of “things” they are just a “thing”

Edited Jun 8, 2019
    Als 27, Doogie8, noelekal and 8 others like this.
  2. alam

alam Jun 8, 2019

I've been called a snob - a coffee snob :coffee:

:(

3. Walrus

Walrus Jun 8, 2019

Damn that’s another thing I quit, drinking. I lost my alcohol “off” button for a number of years. I actually lost two watches in hazes. Still, when I looked at that link you posted it made me thirsty.

Faz likes this.
  4. Stufflers Mom

Stufflers Mom Jun 8, 2019

I'd consider wine snobs to be the lowest of the low.

5. Walrus

Walrus Jun 8, 2019

Good point, anyone who says “fruity bouquet” has serious issues. Clearly they are alcoholics hiding behind adjectives.

6. tyrantlizardrex

tyrantlizardrex C is NOT for "Lizard". Jun 8, 2019

Watch "investors" are considerably more irritating and boring than watch "snobs".

Als 27, Uniqez, Faz and 16 others like this.
  7. ahsposo

ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 8, 2019

I prefer the descriptor "watch wienie".

8. Fritz

Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 8, 2019

After years of tasty vintage bikes I showed up at a bike meet on a Vespa... talk about taking the cure, the abuse I took that morning!

Everybody should own a real turd of a watch... whenever you start feeling a bit snooty put your Timex on and wear it for a full week.

No long sleeves allowed.

JohnnyDollar, michael22 and Walrus like this.
  9. STANDY

STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 8, 2019

#Instagram

BradleyJ. likes this.
  10. connieseamaster

connieseamaster Jun 8, 2019

So very true. At least watch snobs have some interest in what they're buying beyond financial value.

There are many watches I would never want or wear, but I'm glad other people like them.

Spruce likes this.
  11. Fusion

Fusion Jun 8, 2019

I prefer the term watch idiot savant
    If you have to ask, I bet you are :p

JohnnyRocket and Larry S like this.
  12. dennisthemenace

dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 8, 2019

Aren't you already a watch snob? Why else would you be trying to trade a quartz Rolex for an automatic Rolex?

ac106, MCC, Lucasssssss and 4 others like this.
  13. lillatroll

lillatroll Jun 8, 2019

I mostly like watches for the design, not really bothered about all the technical bits, although I do appreciate it. I try not to bore people who are not into watches by talking about them unless they ask, then I can t help myself. I am just as happy wearing a £500 pound watch as I am a £5000 pound watch. I don’t think I would be any more or less happier by wearing a £50,000pound watch, which won t ever be a problem unless I win the lottery. I think it is important to try to keep it in perspective like the OP says, its just a thing. A lovely thing, but a thing all the same.

14. BradleyJ.

BradleyJ. Jun 8, 2019

Craft beer snobs might be lower. They remind me of people who crossfit..... they need to tell you how they crossfit.

15. Walrus

Walrus Jun 8, 2019

This is about you guys don’t try to change the subject

Swissmister likes this.
  16. Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix Jun 8, 2019

I will be the first to admit I am a tire snob. Cannot wait to wear out a set of tires so I can try the latest Michelins. I look down in disdain when some loser puts Hankooks on his Lamborghini.

Faz, CTS-V, MTROIS and 6 others like this.
  17. Flintlock

Flintlock Jun 8, 2019

My first "motorcycle" was a basket case Lambretta in '65. If you rode in on that it would have been OK, vintage. Actually I never got it running but learned a bit.

18. Rman

Rman Jun 8, 2019

Can’t stand cigar snobs.

PM sent about humidor.

Snap Crackle, Faz, BradleyJ. and 3 others like this.
  19. JwRosenthal

JwRosenthal Jun 8, 2019

I hear what your saying about the guys who called and just want to show off what they know. I used to buy, service and sell vintage audio equipment. There are a few forums for buying and selling this stuff. I have a great collection of vintage gear, it’s taken me 20 years to acquire it, and having serviced gear, I know what is well built and worth the money and what is just crap with a fancy face plate, but don’t need to brag about it.
    When I have sold on a few of these forums, I have gotten emails and phone calls from guys who spent the first 30 minutes (or three pages), telling me about their systems...not even getting to asking questions about the pieces I am offering for sale. They start taking about transients and decay, impact and air, imaging and spacial cues...yes, I get that...were you interested in buying my amp?

And I too have a nice collection of cigars (about 1k in three different humidors and a fridgeador), I own a decent stash of Cubans...I much prefer my $6 Honduran Hoyo’s to a Cuban Partagas any day. For me it’s not about the price or rarity- if it’s a good smoke it’s a good smoke.

marco, noelekal, Foo2rama and 2 others like this.
  20. JwRosenthal

JwRosenthal Jun 8, 2019

lol!! Knew that was gonna happen