Forums Latest Members
  1. Snap Crackle Jun 15, 2019

@Walrus I was in the same boat as you up until last year. LE and Regional releases galore. Limited boxes that filled 5 converted wine fridges(compressor powered....I snobbed that as well and built them to have regulated 62% at all times regardless of compressor), Daniel Marshal only, smoke only with 5 plus years age on them. You know the type of snob I was lol.

Then last year I realized that all the best cigar smoking times that I had were with mostly non-snob part time cigar smokers: the kind that didn't care what it was but just enjoyed the conversation and company. It was like a light switch. Sold off most of my stash. Down to 1 150 count humidor with Anejos and some lighter My Father CT sticks.....and that's it. Feels like a new life :)

As far as watches go, I think the majority of us watch nuts should be called "watch passionists" as we are all passionate about our watches. We have different brands in our boxes and love them all. Snobs refuse to wear let alone acknowledge anything but their brand as superior. I.E. Rolex snobs....can't stand it when you talk to a person who is a "Rolex (or insert your brand here) is better than everything and you and your watch are peasantly" type of person. They are just like wine snobs who only drink first growth Bordeaux :whistling:

Walrus and JwRosenthal like this.
  2. JwRosenthal Jun 15, 2019

Like @ConElPueblo , I prefer something different, something interesting, a unique piece of horological history over big dollar wow factor.
    Anybody with a credit card can get a ceramic sub, but not everyone can have something like this-
    1917 Longines in sterling case, made for Birke’s of Canada

1BF253EC-3A7E-4A43-AD93-9CB5FFB437F8.jpeg

Walrus and flw like this.
  3. ConElPueblo Jun 15, 2019

Oh, that is undoubtedly correct, I primarily use the term in the marketing sense. I do believe, however, that my tastes in a number of areas are superior to most others' :D

michael22 and JwRosenthal like this.
  4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 15, 2019

U.S., primarily 1964 and earlier issues (pre-clad coins) and British pre-decimal issues. Love to collect by type. Also world gold coins, or at least I did when gold was cheap.

flw likes this.
  5. flw history nerd Jun 15, 2019

I tend to go older (ancient Hellenistic and Roman, and medieval English hammered coinage). I have very few, mostly to use as teaching aids in the classroom.

noelekal likes this.