Forums Latest Members
  1. michael22 Jun 14, 2019

The world is diverse!

MTROIS and Om3ga321 like this.
  2. wagudc Jun 14, 2019

Aficionado is perhaps a more accurate term.

michael22 and Foo2rama like this.
  3. michael22 Jun 14, 2019

I think snobbery inherently lacks justification.
    If there is good reason for a preference, it isn't snobbery.

4. Walrus Jun 14, 2019

Thanks guys, this was tongue in cheek and really meant about me. I don’t have much I collect now other than watches and have been very pleased with the past few purchases I made. That vintage constellation really made me happy but I find myself talking to my wife and coworkers about them a bit too much and need to stop. I’m not trying to brag I just like talking about them. Investments too, I never mention figures or amount of a particular stock I have but will talk about certain companies. Im not a watch snob yet and keep my conversations brief but I need to monitor myself. I was not at all implying anyone here is a watch snob.

Als 27 and noelekal like this.
  5. JwRosenthal Jun 14, 2019

I see your Revox and raise you an Otari 1/2 track

D8D3C8F4-C855-44F9-B412-DE0B81C92ED3.jpeg

ChrisN likes this.
  6. JwRosenthal Jun 14, 2019

I think anyone who who has a passion for anything can be a snob. When one gets into the minutia of hobby, sport, activity, beverage, food- anything- they begin to become educated and with education come discrimination. No shame in being passionate and wanting to share that passion with others- shame should come to those who look down on others who don’t know as much but want to learn or looking down on those who are contented not knowing. I have a colleague who loves his G-shock watch, he fancies himself a watch guy, and he is- that’s his favorite and nothing wrong with that.

Walrus, noelekal and michael22 like this.
  7. steelfish Jun 15, 2019

I like to think I'm not a watch snob as I buy and wear (or try to when I can afford it) the watches that I like because of their history, movement but primarily because I like them. I buy and wear them for me, not to show off.

I'm not a fan of people who buy watches because it's 'the watch to have' or because of the brand, or just because it's expensive e.t.c. Sadly where I live there are a number of big name shops that are jam packed with these type of people of a weekend who clearly know nothing about the watches they're wearing, don't care at all and just buy for the prestige. That grinds my gears - maybe that means I am a reverse watch snob!?

JwRosenthal and Walrus like this.
  8. ConElPueblo Jun 15, 2019

Being a snob - which I am, no doubt - does not mean that your buying motives are price driven; having "expensive" as a deciding/very important criterion when buying is choosing from a Veblen perspective. The four classic (at least that's the ones I was taught) buying motives are Thrifty, Bandwagon, Veblen and Snob. Snob and Bandwagon are opposites; where one group of consumer buys goods because others do, Snobs buy what's different. This is mirrored with Thrifty consumers opposed to those who decides from a Veblen perspective where the interesting parameter is price - cheap or expensive.

There is some crossover between the groups (items that are low in supply (snob) are often expensive too), naturally...

I could buy a Rolex (Veblen), but would rather wear a vintage Mido (Snob) as I like to set myself apart from my peers. This is pretty easy when my peers are my colleagues at work, more difficult when it is a group of discerning collectors as found here (nice Mido, @JwRosenthal) :thumbsup:

77deluxe and JwRosenthal like this.
  9. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jun 15, 2019

So I am a thrifty snob when it comes to watches, and a veblen snob with tires. Good to know. I once bought a set of Pirelli P Zeros simply because they were the most expensive option.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  10. 77deluxe Jun 15, 2019

When it is a group found here (Veblen) engaging in conspicuous leisure?

11. flw history nerd Jun 15, 2019

What sorts of coins do you collect, if I may ask? (I have a few myself.)

noelekal likes this.
  12. ConElPueblo Jun 15, 2019

I like what is really uncommon and it is hard to impress most of the old hands here :)

77deluxe and JwRosenthal like this.
  13. 77deluxe Jun 15, 2019

Clearly. You also like uncommon, deep-bench economists and managed to work behavioral Econ into a watch thread. That is impressive.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  14. JwRosenthal Jun 15, 2019

And since as we all know a thread without pics is useless, some more Mido snobbery
    89C1466F-2A1F-4362-87EA-5B8DC2BB15F4.jpeg 2B0AD6B2-CDEE-4097-9126-97D7FBEB434B.jpeg 1CF14D7B-A27E-4BDF-9948-57FB792C036A.jpeg

15. JwRosenthal Jun 15, 2019

I have a friend who collects bobble heads- he has been collecting since he was a kid and is now in his late 40’s. His wife despised them so he was relegated to the basement for his collection. When he bought a new house he has us over for a house warming and I went into his basement and he had installed a narrow ledged shelf that ran the entire circumference of the basement like a picture molding. Upon it was his entire collection, we are talking hundreds. I am not one for bobble heads but seeing this collection in its entirely it was very clear he was a bobble head snob- perfectly curated, beautifully displayed, years of searching and collecting- it was impressive. Passion like that is an amazing thing to behold..

flw likes this.
  16. 77deluxe Jun 15, 2019

Yes. It bobbles the head.

ConElPueblo, wagudc and JwRosenthal like this.
  17. flw history nerd Jun 15, 2019

Wow ... I hope he liked living in his basement with nobody to keep him company except hundreds of bobbleheads :D

JwRosenthal likes this.
  18. Faz Jun 15, 2019

You talkin' to me??? I'm highly allergic to anti-snob snobs...the true bottom of the snob barrel...:cautious:
    IMG_3867.JPG

Edited Jun 15, 2019
    ConElPueblo likes this.
  19. JwRosenthal Jun 15, 2019

77deluxe and Faz like this.
  20. michael22 Jun 15, 2019

I think your definition is different to mine.

snob
    /snɒb/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    1. a person with an exaggerated respect for high social position or wealth who seeks to associate with social superiors and looks down on those regarded as socially inferior.
      "her mother was a snob and wanted a lawyer as a son-in-law"
      • a person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior to those of other people.
        "a musical snob"