Waiting in line (Really Omega??)

Well there is the shared experience with the line standing. The disney lines, are actually engineered to get strangers to talk to each other. I remember how it was to stand in line for an event like Star Wars. I was the last person in line for ESB. The manager stood behind me. We became friends. I even as a film student got a pre-aprintiship at Sprocket systems.

There was an article about one of the high end purse (bag makers) being accused of Monoply restriction. I think this was Hermés. The parent company insisted bags can only be shown to a 'select' few who have to make unnessisary purchaces, to even see the product.

Omega which is a symbol can not be trademarked in the US. Swatch can. So there is no wonder the protected mark can be pushed more than the unprotected one.

The watch industry is a curious thing. It collapsed completely in the 1970s. Some economic theories also have this collapse contributing to the Oil crisis, which may have been partly engineered by economists. Peek oil had been predicted in the 1950 for the 1970s, so it was easy to make the prophesies self fulfilling.

There is probably a difference between sharp business practice and the law. Some probably feel the latter is more of a guideline, than anything else.

I have never tolerated television advertising. My dad had the volume up yesterday. He is 92 and the hearing aid batteries wear down. Baseball here in the Bay Area has become totally crooked. The Vegas gambling interest are in control. Anyway the adverts are all for BIG ADVENTUROUS SUV tanks. Stuff that is not good for society or much of the future. But we still want it.

Most who are being targeted by these adverts, probably do not even have the physical stamina to even use the products shown.

Sure back in the 1960s we had a Toyota land Cruzer and would go off roading through abandon gold mines in the sierra. The 1950s population was exponentially smaller then. We stopped when someone fired a warning shot over the hood. This in the 1970s. Probably too close to someones pot farm, my dad said.

Unlike the the cousins, we could not put a vacation shack in the land. Has water power, but no sewer. Nimbys from the city came into the foothills and urbanized it. All ironically in the name of 'Preserving Nature.' Sure preserving it for their own selfish uses.

None of this is new. And I still want an OMEGA snoopy at a price I can afford. (even if it means not purchasing rat-watch parts for a few months.)

(Sometime I should post photos of the DIckens magazines from the 1850s. About 1/4 of the pages are adverts. Often for hair tonics and liver pills and corsets. Nothing ever changes.)

Like 1
Not sure why you would waste time physically waiting in line for that long. They are being resold for under $600 on stockx anyway and not $3k ebay prices. I've bought shoes from that website with good results. I have no affiliation with them btw.

Like 2
Great example of FOMO, especially after the frenzy two years ago for the first bunch. And it's Snoopy!!!!

Like 2
Great example of FOMO, especially after the frenzy two years ago for the first bunch. And it's Snoopy!!!!
Sadly it’s not just FOMO anymore, it’s hustle culture- always gotta be scheming and finding the next hot thing to buy low and sell high. This was always the culture in commodities but everything is commoditized now- everything.

Like 6
Seems like a repeat of the discussion at the time of the original release.

Like 6
Let's keep in mind that the $3k prices on eBay are asking prices. Doesn't mean anyone (or at least not a lot of people) is actually paying that. I could put an 1977 AMC Pacer on eBay for $500k but that doesn't make me halfway to being a millionaire.

Like 1
Let's keep in mind that the $3k prices on eBay are asking prices. Doesn't mean anyone (or at least not a lot of people) is actually paying that. I could put an 1977 AMC Pacer on eBay for $500k but that doesn't make me halfway to being a millionaire.
Reminds me of this C24 screenshot @Archer posted in '21 of the turquoise OP;

upload_2024-3-26_21-31-59.png

Like 4

Stockx shows actual sale prices and they are being sold for under $600. edit: at the time of this post there are 30 sales. When I mentioned them earlier in the thread, 21 had been sold.

Let's keep in mind that the $3k prices on eBay are asking prices. Doesn't mean anyone (or at least not a lot of people) is actually paying that.
I only shared those prices because they exist and are laughable. I don’t believe they will sell. The $600 Stockx prices and the dozens of eBay auctions sitting around $700 with bids on them are still ridiculous.

The MSRP on these is a stretch but one I’m okay paying because I find this piece so cute. I’ll happily wait this one out to pay Swatch instead of the flippers.

Like 3
Not sure why you would waste time physically waiting in line for that long. They are being resold for under $600 on stockx anyway and not $3k ebay prices. I've bought shoes from that website with good results. I have no affiliation with them btw.
So true. Good things come to those who wait. At my age I’d rather wait by delaying the purchase vs. waiting standing in a line. Same for iPhones and everything else…I just wait until the “gotta have it now” FOMO crowd calms down and stock catches up.

Unless it’s flippers trying to capitalize IDK why getting it a few months down the road changes the desire to own the watch or changes the ownership experience. Waiting can help as well with clearing the mind and sorting out “is this just FOMO I am feeling or do I REALLY WANT this”.

Like 2
Sucks your sister wasted her time. Can’t say I’m surprised though.

Hot “hypebeast” items have been this way for a long long time. That will be the result each and every time if a product appeals to and is affordable to the lowest common denominator while also being very limited.

The retail manager acting that way is funny to me. Like a club manager slowing entry in order to build a long line and generate buzz. Typical Miami (saying that as someone who grew up in Miami there). Id agree that it’s not on Omega. It’s on Swatch.

But I’d say it’s fair to hate Omega because they’re owned by Swatch, although I’m sure the idea of a MoonSwatch was more of a top-down decision than something. Parent company calls the shots ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Edited:

Like 1
Waited in line, missed out due to not enough.

F::censored::K store sold out of sourdough the other week befor 10am…

Shit happens.

Next time be one of the first 20 in the store. :thumbsup:

If there is a crowd or a que, I keep walking, I’ll not be treated like cattle for the dubious privilege of giving them my money!

Like 2
Your sister is a terrific person; regardless, hyped items are difficult to purchase.

Like 5
You cranks are missing out on all the fun, the excitement of waiting (for hours) for a toy. I’d camp out on the sidewalk with my daughter for one of these. No one lounge-chair camping in front of Fry’s for a PlayStation?

Where can we get a bullet-proof tent these days.
Edited:

I was excited when the Swatches were first announced a few years ago. I thought they’d make great presents to the youngins in my family.

Then it was announced that earlier promises of online purchase were being broken in favor of purchasing in Swatch boutiques only.

Pardon my French but screw that shit. Swatch lost a potential good customer.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have more worms to go eat.

Sadly it’s not just FOMO anymore, it’s hustle culture- always gotta be scheming and finding the next hot thing to buy low and sell high. This was always the culture in commodities but everything is commoditized now- everything.

A byproduct of the gig economy and how the workplace works now. The same old men yelling at clouds who will say that young people need to get off their arse and hustle to make a living, complain when they do just that with things like this.

Like 5