Forums Latest Members

SS Bracelet for 3861 Speedy - is it really worth the $$$?

1. What_Goat? May 6, 2024

Skeptical Bob here…

(long) Background: I have a Saphire sandwich 3861 Speedy that I purchased on a black leather strap around ‘22 (cheaped out, but I really wanted w/ the SS bracelet). The strap didn’t wear well, so late last year I went to OB to possibly pick up the corresponding SS bracelet; didn’t have it in stock, so ended up getting the rubber strap. I really love it in the winter months, but now with hot weather upon us, I can’t get a comfortable fit: it’s either too loose or too tight (had same qualms with the OE strap, of course). Right now, I’m at the 4th hole, and I can almost twist the watch 360 around the wrist. On the 5th hole, the band leaves an imprint after ~ 1-2 hrs. Sure, OE Omega fold over clasp is nice, but I think getting a perfect fit with it really boils down to how widely spaced each of the strap holes are (seems standard as all 3rd party straps meant to pair w/ the clasp offer same spacing, max 7 holes) and that the clasp itself doesn’t have any adjustments.

Which brings me to the main question: is the newest 3861 bracelet really worth in the upwards of $750? Is it well built, solid, and smooth? I like to keep my Speedy OE, and I reckon the micro adjustment options should solve my fit issues above; but I can’t find any other 3rd party SS bracelet options that offer ‘on the fly’ comfort settings. There are also some reports of the ‘bracelet pulling arm hairs’.

PS I have been looking at Forstner bullet version, which is a pretty nice option/OE clone, but still no adjustments options on the fly (without needing tools as I travel a lot). I really appreciate Tudor’s T-fit clasps or, something even better, Glasshütte’s clasp where you don’t even have to remove your watch.

I welcome and appreciate any comments and thoughts as I’m sure I ain’t the only one having this issue.

2. Dan S May 6, 2024

Not really answering the bracelet question, but if it would help, it's easy enough to punch extra holes in a strap. I do it all the time.

[​IMG]

GrouchoM, AAAKK and What_Goat? like this.
  3. What_Goat? May 6, 2024

Ooohh, genius Dan!!! That might do the trick in a pinch and save me extra gold coins.

Are these tools all same? Not sure how easy it would be to punch a hole in the OE rubber strap, it’s rather hefty, and would rather not mangle the strap like Tim the Toolman Taylor by using some cheapie. Any idea how the new holes look afterwards?

4. Dan S May 6, 2024

These punches work very well in leather and rubber straps, and make clean holes. No different from the original holes as far as I can see.

I just threw that photo up there, and I assume that some are better than others. Mine is at least 50 years old, inherited from my father, so I wouldn't really know which one to recommend. You can also buy a set of standalone punches that you use with a dead blow hammer.

We can ask some of the leatherworkers like @Duracuir1 for a specific recommendation.

What_Goat? likes this.
  5. ninman May 6, 2024

Yes, I'd say it is. When you see the bracelet in person, it just looks fantastic. It's also very comfortable to wear, and has that lovely retro vibe. It's a great looking bracelet.

1000006329.jpg 1000006331.jpg 1000006330.jpg 1000006332.jpg

6. What_Goat? May 6, 2024

@Dan S - much obliged sir, will pick up one of these as an interim solution. Your input was invaluable!

However, my local OB doesn’t have one in stock, so I am still hoping some owners can chime in re: OE 3861 SS bracelet with the upgraded clasp, fit, function et al. With only a few mm of expansion (compared to other manufacturers), does it really do the trick in those humid summer days? Is this really the only bracelet option with on the fly adjustments for the 3861?

7. noless May 6, 2024

Have you felt the SS bracelet in person yet? I did the same thing as you, though in my case it was as I didn't want to get the old bracelet without the quick adjust and also wanted to have the deployant clasp for different straps as well (i was originally thinking of the sailcloth from the hesalite but ended up getting the rubber instead).

I'm not particularly hairy so I haven't had any issues with arm hair pulling, but I love the bracelet and the fit and finish was worth it at least to me. The shear number of parts that go into it, and the mixture of finishes on the different faces I can see where at least some of the cost comes from in terms of machining time (I am of course aware that there is brand name cost in there too).

Its a good chunk of change, but if you can handle a watch with it on there so you can look at the quick adjust its not a lot of adjustment so be aware of that. That few mm adjustment is plenty for humid summer days for me, however its not enough between winter and summer where I still find myself taking a link out for winter and putting it back in during summer.

What_Goat? likes this.
  8. ninman May 6, 2024

The quick adjustment was definitely a game changer for me. Not because of the convenience, but hiding that horrible notch. I willingly spent the 200 dollars or so for the upgrade.

It's now my favourite strap to wear with my speedy.

What_Goat? likes this.
  9. What_Goat? May 6, 2024

Hot dayum - from a looks only perspective, I believe this is the only bracelet option IMO as I love them look. From your pictures, the combo does look sweet, thank you for posting !

How useful are the 2 micro adjustment positions? Also, I noticed your arm hairs look similar to mine…are you getting them yanked? I have not seen a consistent report: some report forearm hairs pulling, some don't.

I searched all weekend long - I see tons of straps options, but primarily 2-3 bracelet choices: Uncle Seiko, StrapCode and Forstner.

1. US used pins/collar for the links - auto disqualification
    2. StrapCode- looks too much like a Rolex/Tufor jubilee…no go either
    3. Forstner bullet (incidentally it is sold out) - seems the best built bracelet, but still no micro adjustments. Some forums mentioned their stretchy links tend to fail, so that is disappointing and discouraging

10. ninman May 6, 2024

My arm hairs never get caught, or pulled. I live in Taiwan, which is a hot country, so I use the micro adjustment quite a lot due to the big temperature difference between indoors and outdoors.

I find it super comfortable, never any issues with it, and I wear it relatively loose so it can slide up and down my wrist a little bit.

Here's some pictures with a forstner flat link if that helps. 1000001985.jpg 4252.jpg 1000001984.jpg 4253.jpg 4254.jpg 4250.jpg 4251.jpg

Drof14 and What_Goat? like this.
  11. What_Goat? May 6, 2024

Tha k you for chiming in! That is what this makes me a lil’ bit weary…I haven’t been lucky to see/hold a 3861 with the SS bracelet yet (I bought my Speedy from a reputable gray market dealer, sight unseen). I paid a visit to my local OB and a small AD in the last 6 months, weirdly, no Speedy on SS was on display (NATO, and leather strap).

12. What_Goat? May 6, 2024

thank you again for the extra pictures and info! How does the Forstner compare with OE? I like heft, and prefer how heavy watches feel (when I had my 8500 PO back in the early 2010’s, I swear wearing it changed my gait ;)).

If the Forstner is like 80-90% quality of the OE, I might have to give them a second look. They have a great design indeed, but I simply dislike jangly and light bracelets.

PS is there a way we can put an omega clasp on one of the Forstner options ? Certainly not the 3861 OE one for because of the 15mm taper right?

13. ninman May 6, 2024

I believe some people have put an Omega clasp on a Forstner bracelet, but I really don't know too much about that.

In terms of feel and quality, they are very similar yes. I'd say the OEM bracelet is perhaps a little lighter, but it's not really that noticeable.

The Forstner is great value though in terms of price to quality, it definitely feels substantial and well made and it has a solid clasp.

The main reason I don't wear it is that I found I prefer having an OEM bracelet on my Omega watch, but you'll be just fine with either.

14. Indices May 7, 2024

I would say the bracelet is up there with the best designed bracelets on the market today. Comfortable, looks fantastic, nice little bit of adjustment on the fly and very small articulating links. I’d pay the $750 over the other aftermarket options for sure- of which I’ve owned a couple.

What_Goat? likes this.
  15. Evitzee May 7, 2024

I think the new bracelet is great, once adjusted I find no need for the 1.5 to 2 mm adjustment, and I prefer the smaller clasp anyway of the original version.

chiefenergy likes this.
  16. NotJackson May 7, 2024

I have the 3861 Hesalite version with the bracelet. I’ve used the micro adjust maybe once or twice and don’t really think it adds as much as advertised. I’d actually prefer a wider range of holes on a conventional clasp.

One reason you may want to look at the bracelet before buying one is the relatively pronounced taper between the 20mm lug width and the 15mm clasp. I know it’s only a one mm difference between that and other bracelets — including the Forstner Bullet, which is 20/16 — but IMO it looks and feels significantly different. I have one friend who didn’t like the taper and almost immediately replaced his Omega bracelet with a Bullet.

FWIW, I think the fit and finish of the Forstner bracelets is certainly 80-90% of the OE. I wear my 3861 on the OE bracelet and think it is by far the best “modern” Speedmaster bracelet that I’ve worn. By comparison, I wear my 3594.50 on a Forstner Contemporary Flat Link and my 3570.50 on a Forstner Bullet.

What_Goat? likes this.
  17. drster May 7, 2024

I have had all the bracelets mentioned. I think it comes down to personal preference, how they fit your wrist and perceived value of OEM. And cost!

18. DdKk May 7, 2024

I picked up a new Speedy 3861 sapphire on a bracelet today. I never liked bracelets much, and my intention was to put the bracelet to one side and wear the watch on a strap. However... this bracelet is truly terrific! It is remarkably comfortable, and looks somewhat more muted and less showy in the metal than photos (especially of the polished/brushed version) may suggest. The hype appears to be fully justified. Mine is staying on. Worth the $$$? Yesterday I would have thought 'no'; today it's a 'possibly'.

PhilF and What_Goat? like this.
  19. What_Goat? May 7, 2024

Thank you everyone for replying and providing your unfiltered thoughts!
    I think the best choice would be to go the OE route: it was designed for Speedy Pro 3861, it’s OE (despite sounds vain, I love that!!) and has the micro adjustments that I need/asked for - and I personally love the design.

Since Forstner doesn’t have the bullet version in stock…called my OB…and yeah, they have the bracelet in stock - will be passing by on Saturday to get it on::psy::

Today, with the OE rubber, my beloved Speedy fits great, perhaps a smudge loose to my liking. I think part of it is that the rubber does not ‘drape/contour’ to the wrist like a bracelet would. I contemplated on using one of those ‘hole punchers’ as recommended earlier in the thread, but I did not want to desecrate the OE rubber. On a 3rd party strap, most likely, yeah!

Gratuitous pics attached!

My favorite is Pelikan vs. Seahorse (curious to see how many would get the reference)

IMG_0354.jpeg IMG_0352.jpeg IMG_0353.jpeg IMG_0355.jpeg
    Edited May 7, 2024
    ninman and Jemagloh like this.
  20. What_Goat? May 7, 2024

Sidebar, but relevant to this thread’s topic: the best micro adjustment system I have experienced is Glasshütte Original: the logo on the clasp is the button that allows expansion/contraction of the bracelet; you don’t even need to remove your watch. Genius - those Germans, ‘jawohl’

IMG_0357.jpeg IMG_0358.jpeg
    GrouchoM likes this.