Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 15, 2021

My mom got the first shot yesterday in Spain. Has a little muscle pain but otherwise ok!!

jB1128, Darlinboy, STANDY and 3 others like this.
  2. Professor Apr 15, 2021

Got my second jab today.

Edited to add.
    Much more pain at the injection site than with the first jab, which caused only minor discomfort.
    Took a couple of Tramadol and it had little effect.
    Otherwise no adverse reaction as of yet.
    I'm told to expect mild flu like symptoms at some point, which is a sign the immunity factor is ramping up.

Edited Apr 15, 2021
    wagudc and Mad Dog like this.
  3. Dan S Apr 15, 2021

This just reads like standard anti-vaxxer BS, and it is actually harmful to promote this. It's hard to imagine any medical technology where safety and efficacy are better established. Vaccines have saved more lives and eliminated more suffering (by orders of magnitude) than any other medical technology.

ConElPueblo, richiv, jB1128 and 10 others like this.
  4. 8100_RPM Apr 15, 2021

I finally received my first dose yesterday. I have to say that I was impressed by the speed and efficiency of the drive-thru mass vaccination site.

Mad Dog likes this.
  5. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Apr 15, 2021

And that, too :)

6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 15, 2021

I don’t think I’ve heard anyone argue against the idea of herd immunity - this after all is the ultimate goal of the vaccination programmes.

How you reach herd immunity is what becomes the controversial sticking point.

Allowing the virus to rampage through communities unchecked in order to achieve herd immunity, as some would propose, means that a lot of people will die unnecessarily.

The ‘let it rip’ idea has been proposed -and roundly rejected by most right-minded people.
    It’s not ‘cancel culture’ or censorship to no longer give this discredited concept air-time.

jB1128, Larry S, Archer and 1 other person like this.
  7. glownyc Apr 15, 2021

So a list of things that no longer kill as many people because of science somehow proves we should trust science and we know better now than in the past thanks to science but our response to a global pandemic should be to put aside 200+ years of scientific advancement? Brilliant. ::facepalm1::

8. Professor Apr 15, 2021

Well it should probably be a different thread altogether but despite popular opinions there have been numerous vaccine related disasters since the 1970's, which either get little or no press or the facts are not presented as they were.
    The science of vaccination is sound, unfortunately the execution too often leaves much to be desired.

One argument that stands out in my memory is the discredited claim of a vaccine causing autism. No one seems to connect the dots here since Vaccine induced Encephalopathy is a known thing and symptoms could be mistaken for autism.
    There are also the Polio vaccine induced cases of flaccid paralysis in India, and apparently in a number of other countries.
    Whether these are statistically significant or not the pretense that nothing of the kind ever happened, which is an occasional and very lazy position to take, borders on propaganda and makes me wonder just how accurate the reporting is on this issue.

Let us hope every manufacturer in the supply chain of these very intricately made and fragile vaccines has their act together.

Remember the science , such as it was in the 19th century, behind small pox vaccination was correct and a miracle of its day, but the ignorance of those tasked with manufacturing the vaccine for the Mandan Indians caused horrific deaths and suffering that resulted in that proud peaceful people becoming all but extinct practically overnight.
    The vaccine in that case was contaminated and every one of the Mandan women, living near a Army fort and the first inoculated, died screaming of massive sepsis infections. The surviving Mandan men scattered and carried their infections with them to neighboring villages and farms.
    Contaminated vaccines and steroid injections caused many cases of encephalitis or Meningitis. One of my brothers died of meningitis before I was born, so I try to keep up with news of outbreaks.

There are far too many such cases to attempt to list here, much less provide details or links to proper historical data.

FREDMAYCOIN likes this.
  9. night0wl Apr 15, 2021

Edited Apr 16, 2021
    Wryfox likes this.
  10. glownyc Apr 16, 2021

No it isn't. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2603512/

Major simplification and gross misrepresentation of the actual facts. https://factcheck.afp.com/gates-fou...ing-claims-about-india-polio-vaccine-campaign

It's not news that medicines have side effects. Thousands of people per year die from aspirin.

ConElPueblo, jsducote and Archer like this.
  11. glownyc Apr 16, 2021

Those that don't get the vaccine are going to quietly respect the freedom of private individuals and businesses who chose not to service them then right?

ConElPueblo, Kmart, 8100_RPM and 2 others like this.
  12. gbesq Apr 16, 2021

Vaccines aren’t perfect, but the science behind them is sound. Would you rather have diseases like smallpox, polio, measles - or the vaccines that eradicated them? I have no problem with individuals who choose not to get the COVID vaccine. I have a BIG problem with those same individuals who decline to get the vaccine, get COVID, and then rush to the medical establishment and demand care. Your right to freedom of choice is not unqualified. When your behavior puts others at risk, you’ve crossed a societal line and there should be consequences.

lando, Kmart, glownyc and 3 others like this.
  13. ChrisN Apr 16, 2021

I don't know why anyone on here is trying to change what someone else thinks about vaccines. It would be a very foolish person who changes their mind based on the opinions of some random internet strangers, none of whom understand the issue in anything other than a superficial way (obviously, I'm happy to be corrected if anyone on here has a minimum of a degree in this field plus 15 years working in it). This is not like a disagreement over a watch being redialed, it takes years and years to understand scientific issues.

Once you start making a two tier society of those who have accepted the vaccine (entitled to health care and services, for example, as noted above) and those who haven't (who, possibly, shouldn't receive health care or services) then you move into the same logic for those who are overweight/underweight/drink/smoke and so on. It's a slippery slope and I really hope we don't go there.

As far as I'm aware, no government has specified this vaccination as being mandatory so, if some choose to reject it, then it should be built into their calculations. Do what makes you comfortable and take your advice from the national health authority.

I'm in UK and have had one AZ so far and the second one should be next month. The take up is very high here except among some groups who distrust the government it appears. Instead of enforcing the vaccination, the government are putting out specific messages to those groups so, I suspect they are hopeful that will change some minds - at least their message has been peer reviewed.

Cheers, Chris

Wryfox, lando and GordonL like this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 16, 2021

So know the climate change denying politicians want us to believe the science on vaccines :whistling:

Just wish they had of believed the science of quarantine from the beginning.
    ( over 20 years as a senior quarantine officer for Animal, Plant and Human health )

Edited Apr 16, 2021
  15. gbesq Apr 16, 2021

Chris, to clarify my post, I am not saying that those who declined to get the vaccine and then get COVID should be denied medical care. What I am saying, however, is that their decision is a selfish one and has an adverse impact on themselves, others and on society in general. By refusing to get vaccinated, not only do they risk getting the disease and spreading it to others, but they place an additional load on the medical system and taxpayers by needing treatment that likely would have been avoided altogether if they had been vaccinated. To me, it’s like the government requiring me to have automobile liability insurance in order to drive. I’m a careful, responsible driver and I don’t like paying the premiums, but the government mandates the coverage not only to protect me but to protect and compensate others who may be injured due to my negligence. In a civilized society, we all have duties to one another as citizens. In the context of a public health crisis, I think that means getting vaccinated. What I find interesting is how the political discourse about vaccinations has changed from when I was a child to the present. Back then, you got the smallpox and polio vaccines because that’s what you were told to do because it was in the interest of everyone to eradicate those diseases. Now it has become a civil rights issue and I think that is most unfortunate for public health. If a sufficient number of folks refuse to get vaccinated, the pandemic will be with us for a very long time and that will have devastating consequences for public health and the world economy. Just my opinion, for whatever it’s worth.

Edited Apr 16, 2021
    lando, Kmart, glownyc and 4 others like this.
  16. sxl2004 Apr 16, 2021

Please let’s not turn this thread into vaccination vs non vaccination.
    If there is a need to discuss this topic you are free to open a new thread.

:cool:

wagudc, Dan S, 3nicewatches and 2 others like this.
  17. gbesq Apr 16, 2021

Point taken. Agreed.

Professor, FREDMAYCOIN and Larry S like this.
  18. TexOmega Apr 16, 2021

Received my second Pfizer injection 24 hrs ago.

A small amount of injection site soreness, about a "1" on a scale 1-10.

Process was smooth as silk like the first. The 15min post injection wait took up 90% of the time.

ZIELSZIEK, jsducote, gnuyork and 3 others like this.
  19. amphib44 Apr 16, 2021

Both my daughter and I got our second dose of the Moderna vaccine yesterday. A bit of soreness, but a huge relief.

jsducote likes this.
  20. philh Apr 16, 2021

Australia owes me a pair of Rugby boots they confiscated as they were deemed too dirty to enter but the plus side was I gained the nickname of "Invasive" for the tour which helped break the ice with the Australian ladies.

ConElPueblo, lando, wagudc and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.