Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evitzee Apr 12, 2021

We had the 2nd Moderna shot on April 7th, just a slightly sore arm for a day, no big deal. They gave us a sticker that said, "You've just received your 2nd COVID-19 VACCINE. What are you going to do in 2 weeks?" Answer, stop wearing the silly mask (which most people have done already). Everybody over the age of 16 is now eligible to get the shot here in Texas, and there is ample supply, no excuse for not getting the jabs unless you have a medical condition that says you shouldn't get it, but those numbers appear small. People are moving on.

Larry S and Dan S like this.
  2. bigdubnick Apr 12, 2021

J&J last week. So happy that I was able to move something forward this year

jsducote, marcn, Larry S and 3 others like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 13, 2021

My frustration is that a significant % of the population is refusing the vaccine. Those folks are the Petrie dish for the variants. I hate masks too. We ain’t out of the woods till that problem is solved.

bigdubnick, gnuyork, Uniqez and 6 others like this.
  4. pongster Apr 13, 2021

Just got my first shot. Second shot in four weeks.

jsducote likes this.
  5. sxl2004 Apr 13, 2021

Moderna Alumni :D

Larry S likes this.
  6. Evitzee Apr 13, 2021

Fair enough, but I'm not going to be held hostage by those who refuse to get the vaccine for whatever reason. All indications so far show a fully vaccinated person is well protected against spreading or contracting the virus, and good protection with the variants. And variants will be coming at us for the foreseeable future, I think they have been overblown. If vaccinated people continue to wear masks until the anti-vaxxers are convinced to get the shots we'll be wearing masks indefinitely. Not going to do it.

7. Dan S Apr 13, 2021

We are also still waiting for data confirming that full vaccination dramatically decreases (or eliminates) transmission. I will feel a lot better about taking off my mask once this is demonstrated.

gnuyork, Archer, jsducote and 3 others like this.
  8. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Apr 13, 2021

My colleague above is one fully vaccinated person who for sure would have been able to transmit. Oh and BTW, that colleague is in a vaccine follow up study, and after vaccination, but before that infection, had documented high level antibody and T-cell responses following the vaccine

Larry S likes this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 13, 2021

No choice where I live. No mask, no service.

10. jsducote Apr 13, 2021

There is a significant portion of the population who are UNABLE to get the vaccine for various and personal reasons. Please don't assume facts not entered into evidence and please don't give me the "they should just stay home" argument. They're just as much citizens as you are and don't need the additional burden of worrying about what you've just coughed into their general direction.

FREDMAYCOIN likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 14, 2021

In one province here there are three vaccinated people who not only contracted Covid, but required hospitalization. Vaccines are not 100%

FREDMAYCOIN and Larry S like this.
  12. M'Bob Apr 14, 2021

I would think less asymptomatic infection translates to less transmission, no? Especially in light of the fact that this was not two weeks post the second dose: From the CDC:

Preliminary data from the clinical trials suggest COVID-19 vaccination may also protect against asymptomatic infection.

• In the Moderna trial, among people who had received a first dose, the number of asymptomatic people who tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 at their second-dose appointment was approximately two-thirds lower among vaccinees than among placebo recipients (0.1% and 0.3%, respectively).
    • Efficacy of Janssen COVID-19 vaccine against asymptomatic seroconversion was 74% in a subset of trial participants

13. RI Omega Fan Apr 14, 2021

The J&J vaccine “pause” announced yesterday is unfortunate on many levels. There is literally a one-in-a-million chance of a blood clot, but it will definitely lead to increased vaccination hesitation, or whatever you want to call it.

I’m vaxxed to the max, being three weeks beyond my second Pfizer shot. No side effects whatsoever. I still wear a mask in public, but I’m comfortable unmasking among others who are also fully vaccinated. Just trying to follow the science - no political statement is intended.

gnuyork, jB1128, pdxleaf and 2 others like this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 14, 2021

Following the science is the way to go...:thumbsup:

bigdubnick, gnuyork, Mad Dog and 3 others like this.
  15. Evitzee Apr 14, 2021

No need to get testy. I don't know how many people can't take the vaccine for health reasons but I doubt if it's a huge percentage of the population, but if one doesn't want to take it for personal reasons, well, that's a choice. No one is telling you to stay home, but you also can't expect vaccinated folks to continue mask wearing, and not going to work, school, stores or church and generally not being able to go about their lives after most people have been vaccinated. It's a balance. Some places have done better than others, that's the nature of disease. But the world is moving on as people get the jabs.

No vaccine is 100% safe (no medicine is), and it's not 100% effective, either. We have to look at the net outcome, is it worthwhile? Hard to argue that it isn't worthwhile.

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 14, 2021

Just had my first Astra_Zeneca shot today.

While we are in a "COVID SAFE" zone at the moment, I'll continue to wear a mask in crowded environments, sanitise in stores etc and maintain awareness of alerts and listen to the health advisers, not Facebook or Twitter.

It will be a long journey for many of us, so stay safe folks.

sxl2004, RI Omega Fan and Dan S like this.
  17. pdxleaf ... Apr 14, 2021

This would be an excellent handle if handles were still being assigned.

RI Omega Fan likes this.
  18. Dan S Apr 14, 2021

Yes, it's likely, but not yet demonstrated for any of these vaccines. Which is why I said ...

Archer likes this.
  19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 14, 2021

To think it’s ok to not still respect basic quarantine principles after a few have been vaccinated is just as crazy as not wearing a mask at the beginning.

Your comment “some places have done better than others, that’s the nature of disease” the disease is the same everywhere it’s how people acted to the disease.
    “some places have done better than others, that’s the nature of understanding the disease”

Actions are what stops anything... music is too loud. You turn it down, put headphones on or move away. The vaccine is just a song or two you like...

Larry S and glownyc like this.
  20. M'Bob Apr 14, 2021

“We are also still waiting for data confirming that full vaccination dramatically decreases (or eliminates) transmission. I will feel a lot better about taking off my mask once this is demonstrated.”

I see you are some sort of scientist, so what would be an adequate demonstration of confirmation to make you change your behavior?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.