Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 22, 2021

Pleased to see that, after the unfortunate negative Scandinavian press, the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab has received some really positive reviews from the US tests.
    Whilst, full disclosure, it’s the jab I’ve had; this vaccination is dry, very important for global vaccinations.

2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 22, 2021

I was exactly the same as your good self, not even a sign of a puncture mark and I was on the A.Z.
    Her ladyship the young thing that she is had her vaccination last Thursday and only by today is she starting to feel better. Headache, swollen hands and feet, joint pain, dizziness and high temperature and just generally feeling terrible :(

3. Wryfox Mar 22, 2021

Yep, can confirm. Wife had a reaction to the moderna 2nd shot. 103 fever, nausea, headache, fatigue, etc. For about 36 hours. Really quite awful. She also found it was quite commonly reported.

FYI, we both had a similar reaction to the shingrex vaccine. Apparantly not out of the ordinary for strong vaccines with high effectiveness.

Joe_A, TimeODanaos and Dan S like this.
  4. dougwhiz Mar 22, 2021

Got my first Pfizer shot last week, and other than being a little tired for a day, no side effects to speak of. I've heard of more side effects stories from those who've had the Moderna shot, though my wife was fine after that one.

But it took over a week of checking websites, and then a group of appointments just showed up on a random check of a Chicago drugstore chain. It's also odd to hear that if one drives 5 hours to the sparsely populated part of Illinois, there are plentiful appointments available, but few to be had here. I'm glad to hear the supplies are increasing.

Larry S, pdxleaf and jsducote like this.
  5. jsducote Mar 22, 2021

Thanks, but I'm getting my second Pfizer tomorrow evening. Rather than relying on one single registry, I signed up for all of them but am actually getting it from the large 3-letter drug store.

And actually, I wasn't far from Amarillo last week. We drove from Houston to Pagosa Springs, CO for a brief getaway with family at a private home.

Larry S likes this.
  6. ikanbilisclub Mar 22, 2021

Just got my second Pfizer jab today. Let's see how the next 48hours go!

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2021

You do know that wearing a meteorite Speedy provides you full protection right?

Larry S and pdxleaf like this.
  8. Kmart Mar 23, 2021

Just got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine here in VA! ::psy::

DFDE2E1B-108B-44BB-AED2-CD78026B4F4B.jpeg

9. khanmu Mar 23, 2021

So, reporting on my reaction, Saturday nothing much after the injection, arm was a little sore but nothing else. Sunday felt worse, tired and “fluey” and arm aching a bit. That could have been the vaccine, or it could be the G&T and then the Rioja from Sat night for Mrs K’s birthday.... a few cups of tea, a long soak in a hot bath, a couple of nurofen, an early night, and everything was back to normal Monday am.

Nathan1967, Shabbaz, Larry S and 2 others like this.
  10. ethankins Mar 23, 2021

good to hear! i was able to get my first shot yesterday at a grocery store pharmacy by doing what you did, just signing up everywhere within a 200 mile radius and sending alerts to my phone. It seems several places will have a few shots left over at the end of the day and if you are lucky (and answer your phone fast enough) you can get one.

Also just FYI I got the Pfizer shot and no side effects, not even a sore arm!

pdxleaf likes this.
  11. cvalue13 Mar 23, 2021

Texas just announced that next Monday it will open vaccinations to all adults.

Yesterday I volunteered at a mass vax site for an 8hr shift, and was lucky to get my first poke as reward (Moderna)

EE1B7B06-80DA-4CD2-AABB-8372335C09AA.jpeg

Larry S, Wryfox, jsducote and 3 others like this.
  12. Burner Mar 23, 2021

Had my first AstraZeneca jab on Friday in London - like a number of others I experienced flu-like symptoms over the weekend but nothing serious and felt back to normal ready for the new week! Fantastic group of volunteers and organisation at the centre I visited :thumbsup:

Larry S, jsducote, GordonL and 3 others like this.
  13. Professor Mar 23, 2021

Had my first Pfizer jab yesterday. No side effects at all and only a very slight sensitivity to touch at the injection site. Get the second and final shot in 21 days.

jsducote and Dan S like this.
  14. CPRwatch Mar 23, 2021

Just had my first AstraZeneca jab less than an hour ago , and a great set up & very efficient .Awaiting some side effects over the next 48 hours .

Larry S, Dan S and jsducote like this.
  15. Wryfox Mar 24, 2021

As I've said before my wife is working on a US Govt(Pentagon) team to craft new policy for managing COVID, and Pandemics in general. Wanted to offer some of the latest data.....

Please check out the following link to find the latest version. Scroll down to lower right "publications" for the COVID 19 Practice Management Guide.

https://www.usuhs.edu/

Some interesting current data for the various vaccine treatments:
    Pfizer(2 shot mRNA) - 52% effectiveness at 14 days post 1st shot, 90% at 21 days, 95% with 2nd.
    Moderna(2 shot mRNA) - 80% at 28days 1st shot, 95% with 2nd
    J&J(1 shot Viral Vector) - 66% at 28days, BUT amazingly 100% prevention against hospitalization(severe effects) if contracted

An interesting note: Due to the nature of the technology, the ability to develop new vaccines against variants is much faster for the mRNA type, at 6-8weeks. The J&J Viral Vector variant development will take 6-9 months.

2nd interesting note: (new emerging data)
    South Africa COVID variant post std vaccine treatment
    Pfizer - ~80% effective
    Moderna - ~70% (Moderna currently developing new south africa booster shot)
    J&J - ~52%

UK COVID Variant post std vaccine treatment
    Pfizer - 86%
    Moderna - 95%
    J&J - No Data yet

Hope you find this useful :)

Edited Mar 24, 2021
    Paedipod, jsducote, Kmart and 7 others like this.
  16. cvalue13 Mar 24, 2021

it is, thanks

To follow, here is an article (from the journal Nature) and a video that explain why it’s essentially impossible to meaningfully “compare” these vaccine alternatives.

In short: the term “efficacy” really isn’t important for three main reasons:

First, “efficacy” has essentially a different definition for each vaccine (because they each “tested” slightly different things, at different times, on different populations, and on different mixes of COVID strains). For just one example, here are the time periods of three conducted clinical trials in the US compared to infectious vectors in the wild:

05412D96-A14C-4F7F-8A81-0388C10475B0.png

Second and most importantly, “efficacy” described in the headlines is different from effectiveness in preventing hospitalization or death (which is the main measure how we end this pandemic). Here’s how the vaccines stack up so far at preventing hospitalizations and death (they’re identically awesome!):

814B9088-72E9-471C-8D42-07BB4D45DDD7.png

Third and finally, vaccinated people reduce both the number and degree of transmission vectors in the wild, which as a result reduces the opportunities for this virus to mutate into something far more deadly. So vaccines are not only stopping the current strains, widespread vaccination also stops the potential for new strains that could be more dangerous.

These are the three main reasons why the “right” vaccine is the one you’re offered first!

You’ll probably get a chance for new vaccines every year (just like the flu shot)!

Archer, Larry S and sxl2004 like this.
  17. Wryfox Mar 24, 2021

Just an FYI, VOX is NOT a source of factual information. It's similar to TMZ, Buzzfeed, etc

I would NOT trust any data from this site. It is not news reporting.

Darlinboy and Linesiders like this.
  18. cvalue13 Mar 24, 2021

:thumbsdown: Did you watch the video and find something in particular objectionable or false from the people being interviewed and the data being cited?

Which if you did, in a way, is why I provided a link to an article in the journal Nature stating essentially the same points as the pop video from Vox - the latter being provided just in case people prefer a candy version rather than a meat and potatoes journal version.

Didn’t mean to bother anyone, but I think it’s important to at least point toward the conversation about how much we should care about “efficacy” comparisons (very little) alongside posts such as yours (which might cause the uninitiated to misunderstand how much “efficacy” is something they should care about).

Finally, note that the video and article specifically but indirectly address and explain some of the “interesting” data you point out in spots (e.g., J&J’s original trials were largely performed in Africa, and as it turns out we’re now seeing that Moderna/Pfizer in Africa are also having lower “efficacy” rates than in their their earlier US-only trials -> not that this really matters because they’re all still extremely effective at preventing death and hospitalization).

:thumbsup:

EDIT: Just in case helpful (or less objectionable to someone’s particular biases), here’s the same points being made by:

The NYT: What Do Vaccine Efficacy Numbers Actually Mean?

The Economist: What do covid-19 vaccine efficacy rates really mean?

Time: Breaking Down What COVID-19 Vaccine Effectiveness Means

Edited Mar 24, 2021
    Kmart, Larry S and Archer like this.
  19. glownyc Mar 24, 2021

Can you provide examples of Vox peddling non factual information or false data?

20. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Mar 24, 2021

Maybe he meant FOX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.