Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. E-diddy Apr 6, 2015

Thanks! Do you see any issues w/ the Compur? Is it all original? I like it but I'm not familiar enough with the reference.

2. 10H10 Apr 6, 2015

Seems pretty expensive to me, besides there are some yellowish clouds on the dial.
    Considering the dial, the minute markers are overfowing (I don't know if it is the correct word) on the small dials, it seems a bit messy for an "original" printing, maybe I'm wrong...

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 6, 2015

There are a couple of things I don't like and I am by no means an expert on UG, but the alighnment of the words Tachymrtre and Base just look wrong. The other thing is the mix of flat top "3"s and round top ones on the same dial

4. Moaschtee Apr 7, 2015

http://goo.gl/slbjZ1

Any thoughts on this? Not a big fan of gold plated watches in general, but somehow like the looks of that one. Whats your experience with gold plated UGs, do they wear off easy?

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 7, 2015

This watch case is not gold plated, it is gold capped. Probably 5 to 10 times thicker than plated.

UG's were generally 280-300 microns of 14K gold. Very high quality. The only way these get worn through is by someone buffing the gold right off the case.

Seen it happen, but not very often. Looks like a decent example.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

6. Moaschtee Apr 7, 2015

That indeed is a whole different story, thanks.. the german reads as if it was golf plated, thats why i was wondering.

Cheers

7. papaebetu Apr 8, 2015

Laurent and others has the same dial.....
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/late-model-tri-compax.3818/

GIGI

8. Diabolik Apr 9, 2015

i have seen that one and many more! Yes, someone has a stash but price is beyond what any sane collector would consider reasonable. But there again, they are pretty much unavailable anywhere on the planet and only likely to become available if a watch is broken up and sold as parts.

They are unique in that they are NOS (an ex UG employee) ! There are a couple of redials as well as desirable bezels as well.

I suppose they will hit the market at some point so get ready with your 'spondoolies' as you will have to raid your savings to afford one ...

UG Compax black-White.jpg UG Tri-Compax White.jpg

9. 10H10 Apr 13, 2015

Personally, I'd rather pay less for the same dial with the whole watch around it for a lower price :whistling:
    http://www.chrono24.com/en/universa...=1&dosearch=true&urlSubpath=/search/index.htm

10. rahilb Apr 14, 2015

11. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Apr 14, 2015

nope looks alright to me. this is one of the very last polerouter models from the late 60's.

Edit: going by the serial number, it could be from the early 70's

Edited Apr 14, 2015
  12. rahilb Apr 14, 2015

Thanks, that's a relief! Do you think the bracelet is original? It has a different style logo to the dial and Crown, and the end link fit looks pretty poor so I thought it's incorrect for the model.

The seller accepted my offer of €499, does that sound like correct market value?

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 14, 2015

Probably is a genuine UG bracelet, just not for that model. It is also possible that it was fitted to the watch by the jeweler who originally sold it. Metal bracelets were usually extra cost options. These bracelets have value on their own, so you did OK.

I think it's a little high, but things are generally cheaper here in the US than in Europe.
    gatorcpa

14. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Apr 14, 2015

Bracelet looks a little weird to me. Looks roughly like a Gay Freres bracelet made for later tricompaxes and compaxes, but it's American made? The links and the end pieces look different from examples I've seen as well. Thoughts?

Photo courtesy of Phillips Watch Auction of correct Gay Freres bracelet:

tumblr_nm1lvhHs0X1u2y82bo1_1280.jpg

Edited Apr 14, 2015
  15. Carlton-Browne Apr 15, 2015

I agree that the bracelet looks a bit odd. This case style was mainly kitted out with a Unisonic movement - obviously it's possible that the resemblance is superficial and that the case/lug sizes are different but I doubt it. I have the Unisonic and the lugs are 18mm and the bracelet (which came off a different Unisonic but with the same case) fits perfectly - perhaps with the caveat that it doesn't perfectly follow the angular shape of the lugs.
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?161319-Universal-Geneve-grey-dialled-hummer-back-from-the-spa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And this is where the bracelet came from.
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?138692-Universal-Gen%E8ve-Unisonic-work-in-progress

Based on this advert that I've seen for sale on Ebay (I must get a copy one day) I believe it to be the correct bracelet for the case.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1969-Unis...268?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5651f4bd94Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Judging by the number of 17mm NOS OEM straps on Ebay UG clearly made lots of watches with 17mm lugs and possibly either your bracelet or endpieces were originally destined for one of those - or they've been filed down for some inexplicable reason?

Good luck with sourcing replacement endpieces as you'll need it- there seems to have been a bit of a feeding frenzy with UG bracelets of late but that's probably more the case with the 19/20mm lug ones. I see that there's a Melbourne-based Ebay seller that seems to have a stock of UG bracelets but I can't see that he has what you need.

Edited Apr 15, 2015
    rahilb likes this.
  16. E-diddy Apr 15, 2015

17. ELV web Apr 15, 2015

18. E-diddy Apr 15, 2015

Yikes. Thanks!

19. Fost Apr 15, 2015

ELV web likes this.
  20. ELV web Apr 15, 2015