Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. waXology Jul 7, 2014

2. Waynepjr Jul 7, 2014

Ok, since noboby is putting in there 2 pennies I will. Repairable? That is an odd question to me as this watch is not broke, just need servicing. Now are you talking about the dial being restorable? Other than a cleaning, if it where my watch that is all I would do to it.
    If I owned this piece the first thing I would do is have the lume knocked out. Terrible. Unless you have someone that is good at aging lume you just go skeleton and be done with it. This lume on an aged dial looks like poo to me. The case and movement look rather fine and the movement looks quite sound. The dial, is what it is. Clean it and roll with it or get a replacement and save the original dial with the watch. Never sell it, it is part of the provenance and stays with it!

Wayne

3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 8, 2014

Is this worth 4g 's?

Yes, right? I've seen crappy ones sell for more but I guess that could be an illusion.

Look at this dial !!

case back looks unpolished (just a little "wrist rub")

image.jpg image.jpg
  4. scottdunlop Jul 11, 2014

5. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jul 11, 2014

I like the dial - maybe re-lumed in ancient times. Hands have been replaced... at least the minute hand, which is too long. Case looks good but one of the smaller models. Overall, I like it better than this over-inked 22250 that sold for a pretty penny:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/watc...ot-win-the-universal-geneve-tri-compax.11323/

6. rspace Jul 11, 2014

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2023
    MMMD likes this.
  7. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jul 11, 2014

Of course it's that very same watch. Someone fixed the lug. And conveniently left out a picture or description of the inscribed case back. It's G.K. Tallmadge's watch from Milwaukee. Good observation!

8. Waynepjr Jul 11, 2014

9. scottdunlop Jul 12, 2014

For my education - is $2750 fair, or absurd or something in between considering the inscribed back, and "re-welded" lugs?

Thanks,
    Scott

10. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jul 12, 2014

This listing cracks me up. I just noticed that the movement shots are borrowed from the previous seller's listing, and that one of those photos has the broken lug missing. Maybe this is the seller's subtle way of demonstrating that the lug has been repaired... photos are of course part of the description.
    If the repair was done really well, I think that price would be reasonable... maybe even a little more... but I would want to examine it closely before purchasing. The inscription (if it hasn't been polished off in the interim... who knows?) was well done and would not detract much from the value, as far as I am concerned; maybe there are some good G.K. Tallmadge stories from Milwaukee. For me, the real blow to the value of the watch comes from the way it is currently listed, which doesn't inspire in me any faith in the seller.

rspace and Waynepjr like this.
  11. Waynepjr Jul 12, 2014

Think the seller needs to prove all concerns.

Wayne

12. rspace Jul 12, 2014

I was interested in the original listing and had raised a thread for this. What detracted me [ of course pointed out by a sensible forum member] was that not only was a lug broken, but the seller admitted that the other 3 lugs were poorly welded together. Now why would all 4 lugs of a watch be damaged? Food for thought....Hope this "rare tear drop lug" wasnt an addition.

13. scottdunlop Jul 13, 2014

Well, it looks like the original listing for this redone lug watch is "gone" from ebay- I had asked the seller these very questions and I asked for a zoom in of the lug connections and next thing you know it's taken down. I guess something was fishy. The other redial is down to $2399 and I had asked, before posting here, for a picture of the movement, and was completely ignored -- I appreciate everyone's comments privately and publicy.

Waynepjr likes this.
  14. rspace Jul 14, 2014

Well, about the movement pic, from his sales history he doesn't look like a watch guy at all. So really doubt he has the expertise/tools to open the case without doing any damage.

15. scottdunlop Jul 14, 2014

16. ELV web Jul 14, 2014

Very nice dial, could be NoS or just so well kept with hands looking correct. Quite suspicious, seller not posting inner caseback picture and kept the reference number blurred despite taking many good other pictures of the movement and the dial. Until I get to see those 2 things, I won't feel so comfortable

17. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jul 14, 2014

If it is a redial I want to hire the guy who did it. Maybe NOS replacement dial. Maybe actually stored in a climate-controlled safe for 70 years. Looks superb at first glance. Agree with ELV Web... needs a full vetting, especially considering that the seller doesn't seem to have sold anything since 2010.

18. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 14, 2014

note also no PayPal and "Courtesy surcharge of 3.5 percent shall apply to all credit card payments."

Charming.

19. Waynepjr Jul 14, 2014

I hate to tell this person but climate controlled safes were no around in Florida 70 years ago. Even in Palm Beach, air conditioning was not used in this matter yet. Sorry! From a born and raised 4th generation Floridian.

Wayne

20. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jul 27, 2014

ELV web likes this.