Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jul 27, 2014

Nice looking watch but I find it hard to tap the UG fund for a non-UG/Martel calibre, even though it's a good looking movement... Valjoux 23?

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 27, 2014

Huh! A German eBay seller willing to take PayPal and ship abroad! That in itself nearly merits the purchase.

SpikiSpikester and JohnSteed like this.
  3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jul 27, 2014

Right - I suspect that's part of the reason. But both the Martel and Valjoux movements are outsourced, so I can't understand the prejudice, except that the Martel movement is more historically prevalent.

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 27, 2014

Not really equivalent, and not just a matter of prevalence. Martel was exclusive to UG (who then sold the movements on to other brands) until about 1950, whereas Valjoux answered the door for anybody. Martel is closely enough identified with UG to be considered within a hair's breadth of in-house. The Martel building in Ponts-de-Martel even sported the Universal brand on the facade.

[​IMG]

cozzani1978 and ELV web like this.
  5. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jul 27, 2014

Ah - I'm always used to associating Martel movements with both UG and Zenith. I didn't know they had an almost exclusive right up until the 1950's - but come to think of it, I can't think of any other companies that used it before then.

Did UG sell the movements to Zenith? Or was it Martel directly?

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 27, 2014

The relationship between UG and Martel is not clear (ownership, exclusive contract, etc.?). There are advertisements of Martel selling under its own name in the 1920s. At some point in the following years, it vanished as a retail brand and its movements appear exclusively in UGs and companies to which UG sold it. Martel again becameindependent around 1950 and sold watches under its own name for about a decade - MMMD has a nice example (http://omegaforums.net/threads/martel-cal-1111.5671/). Zenith acquired and absorbed Martel in 1959-1960, a hugely important buy from which they acquired the full-rotor automatics which they used from then until the mecahnical movement Apocalypse in 1975, chronograph expertise which eventually culminated in El Primero, and probably also Charles Vermot, the man who saved the El Primero tooling in 1975 (http://omegaforums.net/threads/who-was-charles-vermot.2711/).

The earlier link between UG and Zenith is yet another layer to this story - the two brands co-marketed chronographs in the 1930s and into the 1940s when the Martel movements probably came to Zenith via UG. some representative ads from around the interwebs - I believe we have Nicola1960 to thank for these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If we are fortunate, Nicola will see this thread and lay down some more of the primary documentary evidence of the relationship that he specializes in.

JohnSteed and ELV web like this.
  7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 27, 2014

...aaaand it's gone. Buyer, 'fess up. Mo-Pro, you?

8. ELV web Jul 27, 2014

Sorry it was me, was up late night making sure my little girl doesn't break her toilet training routine, saw Modest proposal message on the email alert, made a random bid and then..... Anyhow, thanks modest proposal for catching such a nice watch. And yourself Lou, thanks for the comment quite a few weeks back re-bridging between Martel to post Martel for the movement. I have a compax with similar dial set up which still house a cal 281, this kind of makes it complete, at least that is how I feel....

9. woodwkr2 Jul 27, 2014

Nice work, ELV. Wrist shots will be required, of course, when it arrives.

citizenrich and JohnSteed like this.
  10. ELV web Jul 27, 2014

Arrggghhhh what did I just do! :p

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 27, 2014

why the regret? It's not a bad buy.

citizenrich likes this.
  12. ELV web Jul 27, 2014

actually, quite the opposite no regrets at all.... really thanks to this forum, it is just I went from 0 to 5 (one franken, a mistake on my part) in UG in just this year and the reality that I have become kind of hopelessly addicted just hit me.

citizenrich likes this.
  13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 27, 2014

ah, missed the little smiley with his tongue hanging out. Well, you won't get condemnation here. You have only your daughter's toilet training to blame. ;)

JohnSteed likes this.
  14. woodwkr2 Jul 27, 2014

Addicted? No. Addiction is for quitters. You're an investor, my friend, an investor. ::money::

citizenrich, Gavin, JohnSteed and 3 others like this.
  15. JohnSteed Jul 27, 2014

True dat! We're investors !!! :whistling:

16. ELV web Jul 27, 2014

17. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 27, 2014

I have the same <similar> affliction.

Managed to avoid ever owning an UG and all of a sudden I have like 7 or 9.

Thankfully, I'm more of a dress watch guy than a chrono guy. For chronos I mostly stick with Gallet because it's my watchmakers wheelhouse.

I'm wearing a new-to-me UG right now. 307 USD, box, jewelry store receipt, Cal 139 all in pretty good condition. She's smooth as butter and under 10 secs a day.

Congrats on your purchase - early signs point to a "score". ^5

image.jpg
    ELV web likes this.
  18. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jul 27, 2014

I'm glad I could help somebody acquire the watch! Yes, wrist shots are required!

citizenrich likes this.
  19. Waynepjr Jul 28, 2014

20. waXology Jul 31, 2014