Forums Latest Members

Watches of Knightsbridge Auctioneers: did NOT win the UNIVERSAL GENEVE TRI-COMPAX

1. luzer Mar 15, 2014

hope one of you guys did

A RARE GENTLEMAN`S STAINLESS STEEL UNIVERSAL GENEVE TRI-COMPAX MOONPHASE TRIPLE CALENDAR CHRONOGRAPH WRISTWATCH CIRCA 1945, REF. 22250 D: Silver dial with Arabic numerals, four sub-dials recording hours, minutes, continuous seconds, and displaying date with moonphase aperture, day & month apertures, outer base scale. M: 17 jewel manual wind movement signed Universal Watch Co & numbered, calibre 481. C: Circular case with "bombay" lugs, signed Universal Geneve & numbered, case diameter approx. 34mm. S: Black leather strap.

CONDITION REPORT D: Original dial in very good condition, showing signs of age with some small marks and dents to the surface. M: Working at present, all functions working and resetting. C: In excellent condition, with some light scratches due to general use. S: In excellent condition. D: Dial / M: Movement / C: Case / S: Strap / B: Bracelet.
    [​IMG]

2. luzer Mar 15, 2014

went for 2400 GBP + 21% Buyers Premium

3. ELV web Mar 15, 2014

May have been a blessing to not win. The ink looks very thick.... Also font alignment for "tri-compax" looks a bit off. Also subdial fonts look off and the date hand doesn't look red (could have been lighting). My guess would be a redial which at 5k USD, that is really quite a premium. But again, just a guess from someone who missed the mark on his first 2 UGs :p. The veterans shall be joining in to comment soon.

4. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 15, 2014

I was at the auction & spoke to the winner. A nice young Asian guy who was there with his gf. He's collecting one example from each major manufacturer & it was his first UG.

luzer likes this.
  5. luzer Mar 15, 2014

Or 2600

6. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 15, 2014

Yes, £2600 + 21.6% premium.

7. woodwkr2 Mar 15, 2014

Redial. That's an example of a European redial, for the cognoscenti.
    Something looks off on that moonphase wheel too. I haven't pulled out the references, but strongly suspect it's either a replacement or was repainted (incorrectly).

Hands are original. Looks like the red in the date hand has just faded, and could easily be spiffed up. Crown may be a replacement.

The real draw here are those fantastic spider lugs. While they've been polished, there's still some definition there.

The UK/Europe seems to demand a premium over US and Australian pricing, but even so, that's an expensive Tri-Compax that will need an expensive servicing.

Hijak likes this.
  8. rspace Mar 18, 2014

Redial, really? It was my first time bidding at an auction and my laptop decided to hang on me just before i could bid on this one! But that would mean the description given is wrong. Does that happen at auctions? I would think they have experts in the area as well!

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 18, 2014

Does it happen? Frequently, some auction houses are better, most aren't, but they all get it wrong from time to time. They are extremely unlikely to have a Universal Geneve expert, where as we have many of them here.

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 18, 2014

This happens often at auctions. Expertise is one of the things you are supposed to be paying for when you buy from an auction house. But I would suggest you bring your own. There will never be a substitute for your own judgement, simply because no one has as much invested in a given purchase as you do.

That said, you do have a reasonable case for a refund from an auction house if you can prove that its description was misleading.

11. aglinz Mar 21, 2014

I could imagine proving (beyond doubt) that it's a redial might be difficult?

12. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Mar 21, 2014

And unprofitable