Forums Latest Members

Trust...or one huge reason I love this Forum

1. McKinley Dec 24, 2020

I recently approached Fred, of @janice&fred, about selling that blue dialed Omega Auto with the warped crystal that he found in an antique shop the other day. He gave me a very good price on the watch and I quickly agreed to his offer. I asked how he would like to be paid and he replied the easiest way was by personal check and once it arrived he would send the watch. I thought good enough and quickly wrote out the check, took a pic of it and the addressed envelope and set it to Fred and told him I was on the way to the P.O. He replied that he wouldn't wait to receive the check and would trust me and send the watch the next day as well. Besides all the information I have learned on here about watches, their original state and the camaraderie with people I have never met, trust is one of the great things about this site. My hat is off to the Moderators and all the members who have made this happen...men and ladies who realize their word is their bond and we are all only as good as our word and actions while we walk through this world. Thank you, again Fred. Pics to follow on arrival.

McK

watch3s, Flatfoot, noelekal and 60 others like this.
  2. janice&fred Dec 24, 2020

Oh THAT'S the watch you wanted. I thought you were buying the blue dialed Invicta that I just sent ya. :D

watch3s, Flatfoot, noelekal and 41 others like this.
  3. kip595 Dec 24, 2020

Sneaky, @janice&fred - very sneaky! :p

In all seriousness the OP brings up a great point; we have a pretty solid community here, which can't be said of all or even most forums these days. I recently mentioned to another member from now on pretty much all my purchases and sales will be either here, a trusted and known acquaintance, or a reliable shoppe of one sort or another. Too many hucksters these days, and it's good to have a 'home' community where everyone at least tries to be properly respectful of one another.

And to everyone I wish happy holidays and regardless of how 2020 was for you personally, may 2021 be better!

4. Walrus Dec 24, 2020

Very true I’m making a purchase from someone here soon I just need to stall it a bit for a couple reasons. Anyway the seller offered to send me the watch and just pay him when I can. Very kind offer I asked him not to only because I would rather wait till I send him money first. Very decent gesture on his part and of course I appreciated the offer.

Of course you can’t just do that stuff with anyone but there are a number of people here I would also have no issue sending watches in advance to if ever needed. I wish I could give some nice things to a number of particularly cool people here. I did buy a powerball ticket today for the first time in a while if I win a couple hundred million maybe I will do some nice giveaways.

I was actually able to assist Fred by merely mentioning watches to someone which was pretty cool but I can’t break that story yet that needs to be told by another party to prevent jinxing anything but overall this is a cool place with a lot of cool people and I did receive a few watch bands gratis to try (and keep which was also extremely cool. If I win that 200 million powerball I guess a big junk will go to @Mad Dog for farm animals but rest assured I’ll send a few cool watches out. Will a suitcase of cash and bodyguards get me past the waiting list at a Rolex AD? If not I’ll go to Macy’s and get a bunch of seikos

5. MtV Dec 24, 2020

Thanks for sharing @McKinley and I couldn’t agree more. With the established members here, I’d easily trust them with even larger purchases - “vetted by OF” is the highest of all seller approvals. I’ve been more nervous buying stuff on eBay with regular PayPal transfers than buying here and wiring the money without any security measures.

Thanks a lot - to everybody who runs the forum or makes this a great place by contributing.

noelekal, mydeafcat, Shabbaz and 2 others like this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 24, 2020

What’s a check

(See spell check doesn’t know about cheque’s as they are that ancient)

mydeafcat, marco, McKinley and 4 others like this.
  7. pw92676 Dec 24, 2020

That’s admirable of you, @janice&fred

All along I thought you were just a bully.
    (Thread reference, just joking).

Agree with the sentiments that this is a pretty cool place. Wishing all my OF buddies a happy holidays!

McKinley likes this.
  8. Benbradstock Dec 24, 2020

Agreed, OF is by far my favorite watch forum for a reason.

MtnMarine and McKinley like this.
  9. janice&fred Dec 25, 2020

It's the thought that counts*

*What were you thinking? :D

noelekal and mydeafcat like this.
  10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 25, 2020

It really is true. When I was in NY I used to lend some of my watches to a member here. Just so he could try them out before buying one for himself. ( not from me)

it ended up being he’s a cop, and a very nice guy. But the trust to lend them to him cane from our joint presence on this forum.

same for my latest sale. No worries, no hassle.

Great Comunity !

11. Ted1858 Dec 25, 2020

I echo all of the above. This is a fantastic community. Buying/selling/trading/sharing with passionate (and honest) collectors makes this hobby infinitely more enjoyable than dealing with unscrupulous profiteers.

noelekal, McKinley and Shay like this.
  12. McKinley Dec 28, 2020

Fred is a man of his word. I thought I liked the mesh bracelet the watch was on, but the second I saw the dial color, I knew I had to put it on this leather strap. Thank you Fred and thank you for the bonus watches. Maybe I can even get my wife to wear one of those.

20201228_165259.jpg
  13. alefar Dec 28, 2020

I'm really glad to be a member of a community like this. Can't wait to buy my first watch on OF too!

Ps (I've been very, VERY close a few times already):D::bleh::

14. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Dec 28, 2020

+1 for all the sentiments above.
    I have purchased and had great help in similar ways from several OF members and their generosity, willingness to help and honesty never cease to amaze me.
    Particular shout out from me to @JwRosenthal who embodies all that is good about OF similar to @janice&fred already mentioned.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  15. JwRosenthal Dec 28, 2020

Same here- I have had members send me parts and such on a “see if it works and if you want- pay me” basis. A few times I have mentioned publicly that I’m into a project and members have reached out via PM offering assistance or parts. This place reminds me that there are good people in the world- I try to pay that forward when I can.

Scarecrow Boat, DJG2645 and McKinley like this.
  16. lexieb007 Dec 28, 2020

Yeah I love this place. Members are awesome. Things can still go wrong in a deal but... even with both the seller and buyers best intentions. I wish there was some sort of escrow type service built into the site (not every private seller has CC facility) but I get why paypal is good here. And I get one of the powers of this site is its independence from payment portals. The real problem now it seems is fear of the seller being wary, then scammed by buyers... All they need to do is come on here and see what sort of nut job I am about vintage. End of problem. I aint going to scam anyone. Cheers