Thoughts on 105.003-65 Ed White Speedmaster

Hi all,

I just got my hands on a new Ed White Speedmaster which certainly is the nicest example I ever had the chance to hold in my hands. It was brought by and old man, the original owner to a German dealer where I bought it, unfortunately without box and papers.
I am in the process of assessing the watch since I want to be sure it's as original as the dealer claims. It would be much appreciated if you could share your perspective, tons of pictures for reference. My thoughts so far:

Dial:
Beautiful condition, rich black color with no indication of discoloration. The print is intact across the whole dial. The lume is in original condition and beautifully aged. Texture, color, application and some small imperfections speak for themselves. There is one tiny scratch at the bottom of the running second sub dial.

Hands:
Original in my opinion. lume matches the dial in color and texture. the minute hand shows honest aging/darkening of the lume. They appear to be damaged by a watchmaker working on it. They are bent as they should be and length also seems correct.

Crown:
Original (A1, as referenced in MWO), 24 teeth

Pusher:
Original, both pusher cap and pusher neck have the correct size. No corrosion, which is surprising

Bezel:
Definitely on the fat font side. I've seen this before so it's not a surprise. Spent quite some time researching it to double check, there are great resources on this forum:
https://omegaforums.net/threads/need-an-eye-to-spot-speedy-don-bezel-subtle-font-differences.81447/
https://omegaforums.net/threads/do90-bezel-comparison-on-2998s.25770/
I also checked weight and dimensions which are correct. The back of the bezel also reveals the "old style" steel ring.

Mid case:
My vote that it clearly was polished, unfortunately. Does it bother me? No! I've seen lot worse. There are discussions ongoing regarding bevels/facets. I am convinced the factory finish of a -65 features them. Again, great threads on the forum as reference:
https://omegaforums.net/threads/the...-lug-speedy-thread-show-us-your-facets.61910/
https://omegaforums.net/threads/nice-crisp-straight-lugs-got-some.34079/
https://omegaforums.net/threads/ever-seen-an-unpolished-ed-white.36358/

Case back:
Other than the mid case, I don't think it was polished. The engraving is precise and visible, it shows subtle but honest dings.

Crystal:
Service crystal with the modern logo. I am not sure how the silver tension ring ended up in there but I don't think its an original one. The early 2998 rings are thicker. However, I kind of like the look.

Movement:
Overall great condition, It appears to be correct for the reference. Unfortunately, some watchmaker scratched around a bit but nothing serious. Since the watch came without an extract or any paper work, I took the risk of buying a put together watch here. The serial range appears correct, ilovemyspeedmaster.com dated the watch to September 1967. Extract is ordered at Omega, I hope it arrives soon.

Now for the pictures. I added some macro shots and comparison pictures of another Ed White I own which I always considered to be in good condition as well.

Thanks for reading! Enjoy the photos and please share thoughts.

IMG_5517.jpg IMG_5524.jpg IMG_5526.jpg IMG_5527.jpg IMG_5530.jpg IMG_5533.jpg IMG_5536.jpg IMG_5538.jpg IMG_5539.jpg IMG_5540.jpg IMG_5542.jpg IMG_5543.jpg IMG_5545.jpg IMG_5548.jpg IMG_5550.jpg IMG_5552.jpg IMG_5558.jpg IMG_5559.jpg IMG_5562.jpg IMG_5564.jpg IMG_5565.jpg IMG_5573.jpg

Can’t find too many negatives on this one. Nice upgraded companion to your other one. Minor polish but very aceptable imo. Well done

Thanks a lot guys.
Just noticed that I forgot to attach wrist shots. My apologies
It wears incredible, would actually love to see this next to the recent Reissue model.

IMG_5584.jpg
IMG_5594.jpg
IMG_5604.jpg

Now that is a nice Ed White. Approximately one million times cooler than the re issue in my humble opinion.

Very very nice. Perhaps some bracelet, end links details as well.
Edited:

Very very nice. Perhaps some bracelet, end links deals as well.
I guess I'm on the hunt for 506s now. unfortunately no easy task these days

Really nice...hope you’re paying a lot for it 😀
It's wasn't cheap but I don't think I overpaid market

Very nice to see such a lovely example. Congrats! Care to share what bracelet/end link combo that comes with the watch or if it's head-only?

Very nice to see such a lovely example. Congrats! Care to share what bracelet/end link combo that comes with the watch or if it's head-only?
I decided to buy without bracelet since the dealer put a later 1125 bracelet on it. It should come with 506/1035.
I currently wear it on 1035 with 532 end links

I guess I'm on the hunt for 506s now. unfortunately no easy task these days

Don’t knock yourself out, a late model 7912 bracelet with #6 endlinks is perfectly acceptable.😁

Don’t knock yourself out, a late model 7912 bracelet with #6 endlinks is perfectly acceptable.😁
Maybe you would show him a "few" of these still in the original Omega wrappers 🙄

Very attractive watch. It certainly has been polished as the facets are gone. Nevertheless the overall look in wonderful. Congrats

this is an awesome EW, huge congrats and thanks for sharing 👍
schönes Wochenende