Things that people don’t know how to do anymore

Well, I can't say there's anything wrong with all-clad- and there's definitely a place for it- having some steel pans that have better conductivity is a good idea. Sometimes it's nice to have cast iron though, that holds onto heat for longer because of its bad conductivity. Have you ever looked at anything like Le Creuset or Staub, that heats like cast iron but doesn't have to be maintained in the same way?

Excellent ideas. Thanks :thumbsup:

It has been that way for the last 40 years. Ever since the loan industry discovered "Grandma's College fund for the kids." From what I have seen most schools are diploma mills. Local schools can not fail students (or get sued.)

HS and college are about building social networks and determine your 'Brand.'

I never finished my degree. True of many people in the computer industry of the 1980s and 1990s. I worked with people who had advanced degrees. PhDs really do not make for practical work outside academia.

It really comes down to a person's temperament. I heard that Steve Jobs told other people I had three PhDs. When people asked I told them I had the same education as Steve. Often I would have to add, No I did not go to Reed. (One of my cousins did though.) A lot of my friends went to Mills, which was a real school. Sadly it is no more, now another diploma mill for 'Grandma's college fund.'

What most people now have is a third grade education. I shared a cubicle with a bloke who was an Oxford graduate. He knew Latin like a second language. Most in the US barely know English language. What it does did show is that people can follow the rules and follow instruction.

What the degree does is give the company CYI accountability when management FU. So much modern business in unrealistic and unsustainable. Everything focuses on Now, Now, Now. No sense of past or future.

I used to take my lunch breaks and visit the local surplus stores. (now eWaste is big business, controlled by international syndicates and exported overseas.) The shelves were packed with many "of the stuff dreams are made of."

I suppose that most of my work is esoteric in nature. While History is incredibly important to know and record, the average Joe on the street doesn't care to know it.

That said, I find that what Doc is referencing is a more recent phenomenon. There has been a gradual change in academia over the past forty years. Today that shift is happening faster than ever. The biggest source of this change I see, is that the internet has made academic work that much easier. No one has to do research on microfilm, or micro fiche anymore, inter library loans happen much faster thanks to email, and these are good things. I do not miss having to spend hours scouring through rolls of micro fiche looking for one old document. Now I can search much of the Library of Congress' archives from the comfort of my own home.

However, with the recent rise in AI, students don't even need to read or write anymore. They just ask their AI to do it. The biggest problem with this is that they wind up with no understanding of the material and when it comes exam time, those that have relied on AI all semester cannot answer the easiest of questions. To top it off, many of these freshmen don't even realize that relying on AI is the same as plagiarism because no one has ever sat down and spoken about academic honesty with these kids before they get to college. I had a student come to me this last semester to say that my class was the very first she has ever received a 'C' in, and she was one of the ones that was functionally illiterate entering my class. It turns out she graduated last year with a 4.0 from high school, and that no teacher had ever corrected any of her work. I am inclined to believe her, because her writing was what I would expect of a high school sophomore not a college freshman. It's a mess, and it isn't something that can just be fixed over night. Public education needs to bring back some form of accountability.

Like 6
My sister-in-law has a PhD in geology and does good work outside of acadamia as well, so I don't disagree with you.

I guess my point is that painting with a broad brush is rarely accurate, and it seems we agree. :thumbsup:

Like 2
Too true…

Japanese steel is becoming more available lately for knifemakers

https://oblivionblades.com/knifemaking-steels/steel-5

I've found in recent years due to the internet / Google / random individuals / human nature etc that researching what's real and what's perceived are getting harder and harder to discriminate the truth from fiction.

Like 3
and include Case, Robeson, and Gerber.

I’ve got a nice collection of Gerbers not because I’m a knaf geek but because my father had an Excalibur and ground it down to nothing just about. I picked up a ton off eBay in 2010-2013 or so. Carving knife sets, steak knives, kitchen knives, you name it. I should go there and see if I can find a replacement for the Pixie my dopey friends threw out.

I probably put up pics in the What else do you collect thread, or the I’m a bigger geek than you thread.

Like 1
Why do police not use bait cars with standard transmissions? Because scofflaws can’t steal them! On the topic of car theft, Toronto, Ontario has just enacted a law that means one car stolen and your license is taken away for one week. Three offences, and you lose your license for the rest of your life! :thumbsup:

Could you please clarify what you wrote? Reading that, I"m not sure that It's the theif that gets banned or the victim.
I f it's the former banning them for a week for the first 2 offences is going to fuck all and a lifetime ban is unlikely to be much of a deterrent either, as most these pricks don't have a license anyway, and if it's the latter thats just victim blaming, how about the legal system actually do it's job for once!

Could you please clarify what you wrote? Reading that, I"m not sure that It's the theif that gets banned or the victim.
I f it's the former banning them for a week for the first 2 offences is going to fuck all and a lifetime ban is unlikely to be much of a deterrent either, as most these pricks don't have a license anyway, and if it's the latter thats just victim blaming, how about the legal system actually do it's job for once!

The penalties are different to the penalties in my post. I have edited my initial post on the topic.

I can only answer your question with a question. Why might you think the victim would be penalized? I concern myself with the penalty for stealing a car. Not the penalty for driving without a license. That is a whole other topic. So you might direct your question to the Ontario legal system, not to me!

Depending on the circumstances, some jurisdictions can impose a jail sentence!

I guess my point is that painting with a broad brush is rarely accurate, and it seems we agree. :thumbsup:
We probably agree more than we disagree. Especially on technical things.
Experience differs.
Society tends to simplify things to the point of irrelevance. Still it is good to question ones beliefs from time to time.
The older I get the more I trend towards predestination.

The penalties are different to the penalties in my post. I have edited my initial post on the topic.

I can only answer your question with a question. Why might you think the victim would be penalized? I concern myself with the penalty for stealing a car. Not the penalty for driving without a license. That is a whole other topic. So you might direct your question to the Ontario legal system, not to me!

Depending on the circumstances, some jurisdictions can impose a jail sentence!

I wrote that because you initial post read a bit ambiguous to me, it may be a cultural thing.
And no I'm not blaming you for the failings of the Ontaio legal system, nor was
i commenting on the penalties for unlicensed driving I was commenting on the futility of puniishment of car theft by a licence for forfeit when most of the offenders don't have one to begin with. It's as about an effective punishment as a light slap on the wrist with a damp lettuce leaf!

What I find is weird is there are things that the internet cannot explain from as recently as the late 90's Like what is this tool for. It was umbiqitious in PC repair shops from 1984 past 2000.

15462-857359705259cbf698ba3a99d973e611.jpg 15463-28f98151a4d344e31e094c7931016485.jpg 15461-ae8bde063702caab20bf35844dc4fe75.jpg

There are a great many tools that time has forgot, I have a piece of workshop equipment that no one else seems to know what its for, it was common in Ford dealerships when cars had a separate chassis, it was to help find rattles throughout the car, basically it is a kind of pneumatic hammer that clamps to the chassis rail, and the frequency and severity of the hammering can be adjusted via a control knob. I still use it from time to time. it's helpful when trying to find an annoying rattle as you can find problems under the car, of in awkward places like in the boot/trunk etc without having to ride in them, whilst someone else drives.
not much use on modern cars as the don't have anywhere solid enough to mount it, the bloody thing would shake them and all their plastic shit to bits in no time. And as it is a fairly big, there is nowhere it would fit.
I use it on classics and even on industrial machinery.
I have many such obsolete oddities, in my workshop which I still use and indeed find useful
Edited:

Like 5
IMG_8476.jpeg

Hand planes were almost obsolete, only to be worth big bickies nowadays with a return to woodworking hand tools.
IMG_8477.jpeg

With a restored one going for $500 and selling as quickly as it’s put to market.

The amount of these I used to see at antique stores before going for $5 to now is crazy. You battling to see any or they are asking $100

Like 4
IMG_8476.jpeg

Hand planes were almost obsolete, only to be worth big bickies nowadays with a return to woodworking hand tools.
IMG_8477.jpeg

With a restored one going for $500 and selling as quickly as it’s put to market.

The amount of these I used to see at antique stores before going for $5 to now is crazy. You battling to see any or they are asking $100
I'm no wood butcher, I mainly work with metal, but I have an idea how to operate most Jesus tools, that's not to say I can get the best out of them, a wood butcher would do better.

Writing a check comes to mind. I can't remember the last time I had to write one.

Um. Yesterday. I pay many bills by check, because it creates a paper trail when it's deposited. Online payment is an option, but if it swallows my money and it doesn't register they're going to believe their computer, not me.

IMG_8476.jpeg

IMG_8477.jpeg

We should go into business together, I'm pretty sure old planes still sell for $5 to $10 where I live.

Like 1
We should go into business together, I'm pretty sure old planes still sell for $5 to $10 where I live.
They have recently gone up here too, now they are in the 25 to 50 dollar range but I guess there is another market for the uninitiated that would well surpass the figures I see.

Like 1
Buy as many as you can……… :whistling:

Below is worth $375 just cleaned up
IMG_8482.jpeg

IMG_8483.jpeg

Like 2

IMG_8482.jpeg

IMG_8483.jpeg
Wow, I have 3 or 4 Rusting ..... sorry i mean Resting in my workshop. I'll have to dig them out

IMG_8482.jpeg

IMG_8483.jpeg
Summer is here, so I guess it's time to start hitting the pawn shops, yard sales, etc looking for old planes.

Like 1