Forums Latest Members

The Logic of Your Collection

1. Cozmopak Nov 25, 2019

I’ve been collecting watches for some time, but only recently have been acquiring what I deem to be more serious pieces. I’d like to cull the minds of experienced collectors on this forum to help inform my own selection criteria. I understand that there’s no one correct way of determining which watch to add to your collection, but I am curious as to how others approach this process.

I’ve set my own limit to six watches, a completely arbitrary number but one that I feel will help focus my efforts and ensure that each watch will be well cared for.

So how do you determine what ends up on your wrist? Is there an underlying logic to your collection?

2. CaptainWinsor Nov 25, 2019

Good question. For me it’s easy. I’m really only interested in Zenith pieces but I have a handful of others just because I like them for whatever reason. They are the ones that may be sold if I choose to let something go. And I wear most of them

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 25, 2019

Hmm. Cull our minds? Sorry, speaking personally there is not much left to cull. If you cull our minds we wont remember why we bought all these watches. :D

Went new for a while Rolex, JLC, RGM. Vintage Bug hit in Paris with a 321 Speedmaster purchase and an encounter with two yummy UG Tricompax. Focus since has been on UG, Longines, Omega, SS Chronographs (Gallet, Angelus etc including a Chocolate DON 145-22-69 , Rolex Sport and value plays like Baltic and Timex limited editions. I have too many watches but not as many as some. I’ve made some mistakes and paid my noob taxes.

Logic has nothing to do with collecting watches IMO::facepalm1::.

4. wristpirate Nov 25, 2019

I buy the ones I like and can afford. Best to not get too carried away with logic and just have some fun

Donfiore, Syrte, Molko and 11 others like this.
  5. Yak1 Nov 25, 2019

I’m just starting out and have had to squash the temptation to just buy whatever I can afford. Participating in this forum has helped greatly.

Foo2rama and Larry S like this.
  6. llvhhui Nov 25, 2019

My logic was to keep my 5 piece watchbox filled. After a while I kinda realized which ones are the keepers and which ones are not. Then the whole logic thing went out of the window.

7. Cozmopak Nov 25, 2019

I feel like even if we aren’t aware of what drives us to purchase a particular watch, there is still a reason why we end up choosing to add a specific watch to our collection, and there is an underpinning logic to that choice. Of course it’s mostly for fun, but just like collecting anything, there can be a certain “art” to the collecting process itself especially if you bring awareness to the process.

The reason I ask is because I feel like my current collection is too much of a hodge-podge, and just doesn’t feel coherent and I’m trying to understand why.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  8. gefmey Nov 25, 2019

I've been collecting for more than 30 yrs. For the most part I've bought what I liked to wear, and that's shifted over the years. Starting with 1930s-1940 Hamlitons, and in the 80's "thin" watches. My focus over the past several years keeps coming back to 2 areas. What are generically called "trench" watches, but for me are 1910s-1920s silver (see Avitar) and what I like to call large garish chronographs, mostly 1970s. This area also includes "tool" watches. I've always been partial to Omega. Whatever area you collect, I think the best advice is buy it because you like it, and get the best example you can. I'm not a big fan of buying because I hope to make a killing someday.

9. Dan S Nov 25, 2019

Nope ... no logic.

Syrte, pnwyankee and Larry S like this.
  10. BradleyJ. Nov 25, 2019

Logic? Where we're going, we don't need logic.

16205904.jpg
    Yak1, Larry S and Cozmopak like this.
  11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 25, 2019

upload_2019-11-25_17-34-39.jpeg

Syrte likes this.
  12. 140dave Nov 25, 2019

Agreed☝
    collecting is not logical (but addictive and fun!)

13. dscoogs Nov 25, 2019

Good question. I am thinking: “do what you can” ...

14. Braindrain Nov 25, 2019

Buy what you like and sell the ones you don't.

download.jpeg

Syrte, ahsposo, McKinley and 4 others like this.
  15. Vitezi Nov 25, 2019

Early on in this hobby, I read a post by an experienced watch collector that was something to the effect of "A collection without curation is just an accumulation."

Curation is the process of choosing what (or more importantly, what not) to collect; it's the "underlying logic" of your collection. I find it more fun - more challenging, perhaps - to learn about and hunt for watches that fit within boundaries loosely set by that underlying logic. It also helps keep the spend in check.

Of course, sooner or later, you'll just end up like this anyway ::facepalm2::
    [​IMG]

16. redpcar Nov 25, 2019

My collection:
    Squirrel!
    upload_2019-11-25_19-41-53.png

17. Cozmopak Nov 25, 2019

That’s very eloquently put, and what I’m driving at. Having a blueprint that informs your collecting is part of what makes this hobby exciting, the curation you’re referring to. Simply acquiring watches that look pretty can be fun and may work for many, but I like thinking about the thread that unifies a collection.

thelinendial and Benbradstock like this.
  18. Njnjcfp88 Nov 25, 2019

I started only a year and a half ago. I now have 52 watches. Mostly 1940-70s. The usual Swiss suspects ( IWC, UN, Rolex, Omega, Zodiac and Longines) ... but I also like watches from Cortebert, Bulova, Buren, Landeron and Lemonia. I also enjoy indie brands like AnOrdain from Glasgow or J&B from Baden-Baden. Seiko is another brand I like for their form/function and horological importance. I rotate between 2 watches a day .... each watch is largely unique to the other. Some I buy for the movement , some I buy for the aesthetic/look. Im equally happy wearing a $185 Lemania ref. 239A or a $8,000 Sinn Damanzener ... I like wearing watches most people don’t. Not planning on selling any. Slowing down a bit. But I’m sure in a month I ll have another. Watchbuys is coming to town. Lol.

19. Deltatango Nov 25, 2019

Since i am barely starting the process of starting a collection I have been all over the place on potential pieces. its been tough staying on track and saving up or the first high end piece. My logic has been land see and air, but we will how that works out in the near future. I know for sure I want a diver, and potentially a GMT of some sorts or a a speedmaster professional moonphase. its going to be the third watch in the collection that will be hard to figure out down the road

20. Vitezi Nov 25, 2019

Me too. :) As you look around, you'll find collectors on this forum focused on certain models (such as Polarouters by Universal Geneve) or usage (such as military watches) or marques (try smaller marques such as Certina) or movements (such as 30mm Omegas) or just French-cased bumpers.

Read lots of material and think a bit about what appeals to you and what you can afford.