The C-Cased Constellation Thread

Haha, thank you, I'm aware that it looks 'eccentric' 😁

And here's my 1040/5*3+3011/5*2 bracelet, very transitional 😀
IMG_9270.jpg

Haha, thank you, I'm aware that it looks 'eccentric' 😁
And here's my 1040/5*3+3011/5*2 bracelet, very transitional 😀
So is that a mashup of the two bracelets? I've seen that type of bracelet once or twice, it's like between 1040's clearly defined brick-like links and the oval links of 3011. Or the outer ones are totally oval and three middle rows are in between rectangular and oval. What does it say in the clasp, 3011?

Clasps just say Omega for these type of bracelets, there are 1125 and 1175-like bracelets for C-Case's as well, they are empty too, I'm yet to buy a 1175-like one, instead of oval links like 1125, the 1175-like one has rectangular endlinks - good thing they are not stamped with their numbers, because their dimensions differ from 1125 and 1175 - also they aren't screwed like them, they have pins for their extra links

C-Case's might be the MVP's in terms of their hidden/rare variations

Here is my 168.017, received last week. I find myself looking at it constantly, and am now eyeing a 168.027. I think the size and shape of this watch is absolutely perfect for me.

Here is a rather neurotic question:

Is enough of the power reserve lost during hours off the wrist (i.e. when the watch is on my nightstand for 8-9 hours at night) to warrant manually winding a few times in the AM? Any opinions on establishing this routine? This is my first real mechanical watch, and I understand that it’s an automatic, but this thing is keeping time more accurately than was advertised when I bought it, and I’d like to maintain that accuracy, if possible. I set the watch three days ago, to the second, using backhacking…which I now know not to do any more. I believe that either the cannon pinion is too tight, or the power reserve was low, because the watch briefly ran backwards. Anyway, It doesn’t seem to have lost or gained a single second, so I’d like to maintain it.

Any additional help or recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Omega auto’s of this family should make you forget about winding, for me even an hour on wrist was enough to wind it to near max. I forgot what auto paranoia was - so give it a chance for a while, it should just work without manual winding

By the way there's a C-Cased Constellation Quartz - not much information online and sellers are usually bad, 1345 cal., no one even took a photo of the model number / caseback - for a while I thought this was an 18mm lugged watch, but a seller indicated lugs are 18.7mm wide, I also saw their bracelets used on a regular C-Case

So I wonder if the case dimensions are 1:1, whether this would accept a 1040, or whether it's a freak watch and their bracelets ended up on regular C-Case's in the aftermarket

Back in the day when I was collecting a wide variety of C-Case's I wanted one of these, now I just want to know more about it, out of curiosity, If the JB produced strap with the 132 endlinks are a valid fit, I'll buy one of them - hideous bracelets but interesting for collection purposes

If the seller that indicated a 18.7mm lug width actually measure the endlinks, this could make a nice addition to your collections, prices are $500~ on eBay though, quite high

Edit: It's probably a 196.0076 - yet the lug width has weird values reported, one listing says 18.5mm - so probably a look-alike case with different dimensions, but it's so close that there's a loose inter-fit

3f27eee8-ee58-4a70-975b-9846adaf7973.jpeg
Edited:

Actually it looks good but with a clean movement I think

DC2281E5-2996-4F49-AFAC-3EF67495FD45.jpeg
looks like an order to spiralwinder is in my future, unless you have any other recommendations?

Actually it looks good but with a clean movement I think

DC2281E5-2996-4F49-AFAC-3EF67495FD45.jpeg
Is the thumbprint on the glass or the rotor?

looks like an order to spiralwinder is in my future, unless you have any other recommendations?
Honestly no need unless you tend to wear a watch a few times a week and take it off for a day or 2.

ah, I meant spiralwinder watch parts who make a display caseback for 60s seamasters and constellations

I got this from a Japanese artisan caseback maker, normally he sells the occasional King Seiko caseback, display casebacks are pretty big for Seiko's although they are loathed on Omega's

Let me know if Spiralwinder's one works I'll buy one too, I've seen a C-Case with a caseback replacement from that list, so in theory it'll work. Mine is nickel coated brass, steel is better, so I'll probably upgrade to one of those as well

There's also another artisan in Japan, he buys damaged casebacks, drills and adds glasses to them, but I've never seen one for Omega's as our medallions lived on

It's mainly a gimmick but it did look good on a gold coated watch, so much contrast between different metal colors

Man, I used to own a beaut of a 1969 slate dial ... was very nervous wearing it though

Hello.
I have found this sub forum very informative and helpful as a basis for helping me understand the various type watch models and calibre.

I have finally found my first Constellation C type 168.029, 1968,751 fitted with a 2039 Milanese bracelet. Arriving from the Netherlands 8-10 March.

David

Hello.
I have found this sub forum very informative and helpful as a basis for helping me understand the various type watch models and calibre.

I have finally found my first Constellation C type 168.029, 1968,751 fitted with a 2039 Milanese bracelet. Arriving from the Netherlands 8-10 March.

David

Photos? 😀

Was wandering through Ebay earlier today and came across this two-tone C-case Ref 168.029 with an accompanying USA-made two-tone JB Champion jubilee-style bracelet. I know two-tone versions of the C-case were discussed earlier in this thread; I believe they are somewhat uncommon as I've only seen a handful over the years. However, the dial looks off to me though -- it's missing "T Swiss Made T" at the bottom and the lume blobs at the hour markers appear to be slightly uneven, suggesting that there's been some work done to the dial at some point. Photos added for posterity.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1603.jpg

s-l1604.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

s-l1602.jpg

Imagine my surprise when the local OSC had the 3011 just in stock, I was expecting it to be a special order from Bien!

My 168.0056 with it's NOS case finally has a bracelet to match.

PPBakEj.jpg
Here's that C-case. ~1969. Loved this watch, but was so nervous to get it wet. This was the gold standard for dial colors for a long time.