Forums Latest Members
  1. Revo Apr 13, 2020

Hello All

Hope you are keeping well

Suppose someone wanted to buy a vintage Ploprof: what should he be looking out for? Are there any known issues? Are redials or frankens are problem? Are there many variants as there are with, say the Speedie?

Thanks

Ollie

2. JACK G Apr 13, 2020

Hello Ollie,

I have had a few of these in the past and yes there are redials, frankens and some variations.

If vintage Ploprof's are new to you check out this book..............

https://www.blurb.co.uk/b/423994-omega-ploprof

It's not cheap but if it stops you making a mistake it's worth its weight in gold.

Good luck with your search.

ezinternet, connieseamaster and Revo like this.
  3. Revo Apr 13, 2020

Thanks Jack G

4. cristos71 Apr 13, 2020

5. OMEGuy Apr 13, 2020

Come here with pictures if you have a particular watch in mind. There are experienced members to tell you what's right or wrong.

JanV, Revo and Radiumpassion like this.
  6. janice&fred Apr 13, 2020

I'm far from an expert on the Ploprof but I can amuse you with my experience with them. Back in the 90's to early 2000's they were cheap and abundant in the south pacific Philippine islands and we had a bunch over the years. No one really thought they would take off in value so we got rid of them in Kowloon as quickly as we found them. I still sometimes wake up with cold sweat over that.

7. gefmey Apr 13, 2020

Definitely check out the ploprof website. Most of these watches were actually used for their intended purpose, so they had hard use. Lots of parts swaps occurred, especially movements, bezels and dials. It was easier to change out the movement (1002), than repair them since they were relatively plentiful. If you care about originality make sure the movement has an abstract that says it came from a ploprof, not a constellation. Do not be put off by their size, they are actually a really comfortable watch to wear, as long as you don't button your cuffs.

Revo likes this.
  8. Revo Apr 13, 2020

Thanks Everyone!

OMEGuy likes this.
  9. asrnj77 Apr 15, 2020

Have you tried one on? Cool watches but I think it takes a certain size wrist to pull it off. It’s an expensive investment without being totally committed. Hope it works out!

Revo likes this.
  10. Jeeper Apr 15, 2020

asrnj77
    I have a smallish wrist & at the moment Ploprof is my daily watch, it wears really well & doesn't feel too big at all.

Jeeper

gefmey and Revo like this.
  11. Revo Apr 16, 2020

Thanks everyone. What is a fair price for a decent example of an average model? (Are we allowed to post links to live ebay listings?)

12. gefmey Apr 16, 2020

A good clue to current value would be to review the sold ebay listings. I think if you look at the current group of ebay BIN Ploprofs, you'll find they've been for sale for quite a while with no takers.

Revo likes this.
  13. Revo Apr 16, 2020

Good thinking! Thanks