Forums Latest Members

Question about vintage Zodiac Olympos

1. NoHatMan May 8, 2021

So, it's been a long time since I last posted here.

I've taken the tumble down the vintage watch rabbit hole, and am currently looking at adding a vintage Zodiac Olympos to the collection. Specifically, the 1960s / early 70s version with mystery dial and asymmetrical case.

Late last night, I came across this one up for auction on eBay. It looks better than 90 percent of the ones I've seen (most of which have either been polished to death, or they look like they've been run over by a truck). However, looking at the dial, I think this one may have had some work done, and I'm hoping that someone more knowledgeable than me will come along and give their opinion on the matter.

First, link to the eBay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4028220984...e&brand=Zodiac&_trksid=p2506613.c100148.m2813Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Second, a couple of pictures ripped from said listing:

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

First off, the indices. I've seen versions both with and without painted indices, and I suppose both variants could be legit, but please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Second, the lume plots. Most of them are centered fairly nicely on top of the indices, but a couple (7 and 9 o'clock) look like they've been slightly haphazardly added in the general vicinity of where they were meant to go. Standard manufacturing tolerances for the time, or a red flag?

Thirdly (and this is what initially jumped out at me), the discoloration of the lume plots does not match the discoloration of the hour hand (which, of course, is not actually a hand, but you get what I mean). Again, same question as above: Normal, or a red flag?

It also looks as if the lume in the minute hand may be missing entirely, and what we're seeing through the slit where the lume should have been, is actually the dial underneath. I'd need better pictures to know for certain, but won't bother asking the seller for those if your verdict is that the dial has been relumed.

I haven't placed a bid yet, because I wanted to hear your opinions first. Auction doesn't end for another 52 hours, so no hurry ... yet. (I'd have posted sooner, but like I said, I only came across the auction yesterday.)

Thanks in advance for your help! :thumbsup:

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 8, 2021

Not remotely interested in these but the pics are too washed out to really see what you are getting. Did a quick scan on the web, my guess is this one had some work done.

NoHatMan likes this.
  3. bubba48 May 8, 2021

My Olympos for comparision

zodiac (3).jpg

zodiac (8).jpg

NoHatMan likes this.
  4. Vitezi May 9, 2021

The dial looks like it was relumed at some point in its past life but otherwise seems OK. Hopefully, your research has taken you to the Vintage Zodiacs site where you can find old catalogs and advertisements for this specific model.

[​IMG]

NoHatMan likes this.
  5. NoHatMan May 10, 2021

Thank you to all three of you. Based on your comments, I decided not to bid on this one.

@Vitezi I'm pretty sure I've visited the Vintage Zodiacs site once or twice over the past couple of months, but the link to the old catalogs site had escaped my attention. Will look into it. Thanks.