Forums Latest Members

Looking for advice about Vintage Seamaster and question about one bizarre discovery.

1. Scolpe May 7, 2020

Dear vintage Omega lovers,
    as this is my first post, I would like to thank you for accepting me to this community.
    Without further ado, I would like to consult with you two of my newest discoveries. Both are Seamasters, one is dated around 1961, second is dated around 1971. As I am still a newbie (although I've done my research faithfully) I would like to also ask you about advice whether the watches seem to be original or not, and what parts could possibly been replaced. Thank you in advance and I hope that we could have constructive discussion guys!

I. My proudest finding in this week. Omega Seamaster, Cal. 491, 1961.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Case seems original but well preserved. Strap may not be (although I am not sure). Original box included. No photos of mechanism, which is troubling. Frankly, I am afraid that I could find little frankenstein inside.

II. My less impressive discovery, although still interesting. Seamaster, cal. 166, 1973.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Strap in not original (provided in description). Rest - make your own judge.

III. The third one is really interesting, as I was pretty sure that it was pure fake. There is only a one "but": mechanism may by an original one (although I could misjudged it).
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here you've got 711 photo, just for comparison: http://www.urdelar.se/Omega 711

Take a look, give your opinion, do not hesitate ;) I am not only looking for advice, but I am also just curious about your opinion, I hope that we could discuss these findings a little ;)

Timo832000 likes this.
  2. Dan S May 7, 2020

Welcome to the forum. Just so we understand the context, when you say "discoveries", do you mean that you discovered these watches in your possession? Like an inheritance? Or you discovered them on-line and you are considering buying them?

Scolpe likes this.
  3. Scolpe May 7, 2020

I am finding them on-line on the e-bay, catwiki- chrono24, etc. - sorry that I did not make it clear ;) I am also strongly considering making a bid on the first or second offer.

Dan S likes this.
  4. Hippocampus May 7, 2020

The cal. 711 Constellation is quite authentic, one of the more interesting cal 71x models being quite a bit chunkier than the others wanting to emphasize the movement's thinness. If I recall they used some unique or unusual way to inlay the gold into the case and bracelet. Would need a closer look at the dial to see if it's been redone though.

The cal 1010 Seamaster looks like it may be a redial and they definitely didn't have blued seconds hands on those... The cal 491 looks good to my eye, even if the case has been polished down a bit.

Mark020 and Scolpe like this.
  5. Scolpe May 7, 2020

So do you think that the that cal. 711 is a genuine one? To be honest, I really like style of this watch, but the fact that I've never encountered model similar to this one seemed very strange to me. I am attaching some additional photos, including close-up on the dial. I think that not many vintage enthusiasts will fall for this watch, but I like it. It is emanating some strange 70's vibe.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Hippocampus May 7, 2020

The numbers stamped into the caseback are the reference numbers, aka model numbers. In this case 155.0022, which if you just google image search that plus Omega it's usually enough examples to compare it to.

The dial does start to make me question though, gold hands but white/ silver markers and dial lettering... it might just be the picture quality but these have a brown, almost wood looking tone to them and usually somewhat faint gold lettering. I'd wait for some others to weigh in though because I could be wrong and there's other dial variants out there, since Omega made a million different dial variations of a lot of their dress watches in the 70's.

A couple other things to look out for with those - make sure all the gold inlay is present, that the bracelet is long enough to fit you (you'll never find single extra links for sale and it's an integrated bracelet, meaning you can't change it to something else), and that the gold observatory medallion and the omega logo in the clasp are there - more often than not those are missing I find on these. They tend to get "spider web" dials too with hairline fractures in the lacquer, whether it's from age or moisture intrusion. Some people like those dials, and while I wouldn't argue that in certain instances it could be unique or eye pleasing, most of the time they look like a cracked iPhone screen to me.

Scolpe likes this.
  7. Scolpe May 7, 2020

Thank you very much for a quite exhaustive answer! I am really impressed by your knowledge. During the break I've got time to do some research on this model and I to my astonishment, this really is an original omega project (I've never before seen it, but as I said, still learning many things). In the description there is a statement that "the dial has spidered over the years" so I think that, possibly, no re-dial was performed, but the spider effect that you've just mentioned had already occurred.
    I am also attaching some photos showing the bracelet and the gold observatory medallion. As far as I am concerned, the bracelet is made of still (and does not contain gold, or it is not even gilded).
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]