Forums Latest Members

Swatch — omega “Mission to Mars” [VIDEO] HANDS-ON

1. apsm100 Noob taxpayer Mar 24, 2022

2. alexxs Mar 24, 2022

Remains to be seen. The swatch group dropped their profits by 50% over the last 10 years with a basically flat revenue line (suggesting they sold fewer high margin luxury watches). At the same time rolex grew their sales continuously. I'm just talking from a business stand point.

gostang9 likes this.
  3. alexxs Mar 24, 2022

In 2022 it is a hell of a job to convey such a message. I find it very unlikely that the person who can afford an omega today would only find out about the brand by walking into a swatch shop.

If it's about the young people, then, as I said, I don't see how putting a plastic version of the watch their dad or grandad wears will make it attractive if they didn't already know about the speedmaster's history.

blufinz52 likes this.
  4. Omega D Mar 24, 2022

100%

5. alakapla1 Mar 24, 2022

It's a genius move.

They'll buy it because it has a moonwatch "connection" with time they buy the real thing when finances allows.

It's like the old candy cigarettes actually encouraged people to become smokers.

Privateday7 and JwRosenthal like this.
  6. Jayrock26v2 Mar 24, 2022

Why am i not surprised… theres no reasonable excuse to charge or pay that much for that watch. Thats why im selling all my watches im done buying people are just abusing it at this point

7. Ree Mar 24, 2022

Does it say Mercedes Benz on the bonnet logo and rear? No. They made a new brand altogether: smart.
    And I'm not saying it'll stop people from buying Omega either. It's just not the best move in coherent brand building. Small things like these is why Ferrari is Ferrari, and Rolex is Rolex. My background is in marketing, so maybe I'm too specific, but it just cringes me to have a collab like this.

Well if Omega wants to be Omega that plasters its logo everywhere then so be it, I won't be against it.

blufinz52 and alexxs like this.
  8. lillatroll Mar 24, 2022

I like it and I went to see if the Swatch shop were going to get them. The sales woman tried to send me to the Omega shop. She kept repeating it was a Swatch shop not Omega shop. In the end I showed her the Swatch web site and she was just about convinced.

After all that she did not think they would have any and she would not order me one. Will probably be able to pick them up everywhere or online in a few months. And if not, the next big thing will be coming soon to a Watch forum near you.

blubarb likes this.
  9. Omega D Mar 24, 2022

LOL a DeVille is never a good investment, you need to love the design of the watch to buy it. Fortunately for me I do.

Dan S and blubarb like this.
  10. alexxs Mar 24, 2022

I'm not convinced tbh. It's so far from the actual thing that I don't think (and hope) that it will scratch anyone's itch for a real Speedmaster. I'm trying to think who's the target audience. By putting 2 and 2 together it's the people who already are familiar with the Omega brand, the Speedmaster, its heritage, but simply can't afford it. How big is this group? Is it big enough to make a dent in Swatch's sales? I don't think so.

Now I was in the "I don't want to spend Speedmaster money" category a few years back. So I bought a Seamaster. Would I have spent 250$ on a toy as a stop-gap until I could get the real thing? Absolutely not. So I continued to invest, increased my income and got an 1863 last year.

I stand by my opinion that it's a way to boost Swatch sales with a much higher margin watch (let's be honest, they could never charge 250$ for a Swatch with those materials otherwise) while at the same time hoping the Omega fans don't care or, better yet, embrace the move and add to the sales numbers. I think it might work for the Swatch brand and it will definitely hurt the Omega brand (if they make this a production model)

blufinz52 and blubarb like this.
  11. alakapla1 Mar 24, 2022

I think in marketing brand recognition is key. Hence Rolexes success, as everyone who doesn't know watches knows a rolex. I think this will introduce more people to the Omega brand which will increase their customer base in the future

12. blubarb Mar 24, 2022

Yep. Your last para sums it up nicely for me. :thumbsup:

13. blubarb Mar 24, 2022

The question that is being begged here is just what is the % of recognition in a given population of Omega? Surely it is second only to Rolex in brand recognition? If it's just about increasing brand recognition then PP could give it a try - but don't hold your breath in this lifetime.

Edited Mar 24, 2022
    blufinz52 and alakapla1 like this.
  14. ama98 Mar 24, 2022

Looks cool. On pictures. Too bad that no store near me who carry them.

15. alakapla1 Mar 24, 2022

Probably second, but still a long way off 1st haha

blubarb likes this.
  16. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Mar 24, 2022

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/...MI5bvKtqze9gIVUxh9Ch34WQm5EAYYAiABEgLFT_D_BwE
    0B91540D-3F23-48EE-85FF-71ED8E4FC49C.jpeg

Rman, blubarb and alakapla1 like this.
  17. alakapla1 Mar 24, 2022

PP is about exclusivity. So I'll agree that there will be no collaborations

18. alexxs Mar 24, 2022

I don't think it's a valid comparison. Ferrari aren't selling a 20x cheaper car that looks almost the same as the real thing, but with worse materials. Also I think there's little overlap between Ferrari owners and people buying their cheap volume merchandise.

Should I mention the plastic Speedmaster will probably keep better time than the real thing?

Omega D and blufinz52 like this.
  19. blubarb Mar 24, 2022

Already the mindset is in place: "the plastic Speedmaster will probably keep better time than the real thing" That's it isn't it. It is not and never will be the "real thing" without getting into semantics. just a novelty imho and I might buy one or more just for the novelty value, but wear it as a daily - not ever likely.

btw my 145.022-69 after service from Lewiswatch is plus +1/2 secs a day - I wonder if the Bioceramic (a lightweight sustainable material which mixes ceramic and bioplastic is derived from castor oil." will have broken down in another 50 years when mine will still be happily ticking away albeit +/- 5secs :D

blufinz52 and SpikiSpikester like this.
  20. Ree Mar 24, 2022