Forums Latest Members

Swatch — omega “Mission to Mars” [VIDEO] HANDS-ON

1. Omega D Mar 23, 2022

My DeVille is not quartz, gold plated, $60 or sold on eBay. The eBay DeVille is a restoration watch that probably does not work or has a issue that is not fixable. They are many parts bin old Seamaster examples on eBay that are cheap restoration watches.

Edited Mar 23, 2022
  2. Omega D Mar 23, 2022

Just my opinion. I won’t buy one of these Omega Swatch watches. I may buy a standard plastic Swatch in the future though.

3. JwRosenthal Mar 23, 2022

Room for everyone at the table. I never cared for the swatches back in the 80’s, and although I think these new releases are fun, they aren’t my cup- but my wife loves them so I may pick up a color or two for her. And one of my closest friends who is of very modest means and has always lusted after a SMP may actually be able to have a Speedmaster now and not have to think about if he can afford sending his 4 year old to day care because he bought a watch.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 23, 2022

Teenager to 20 year olds and the like fun watches. Good on Swatch and good for the future of watches.

Not my cup of tea so hey I’m not adding to any of the negativity ::book::

5. Omega D Mar 23, 2022

The Swatch brand is a great brand like Casio to get into the idea of having a watch for a young person. Or it can be a haste free watch for an adult. The haste free bit is also enjoyable. In my opinion mixing an entry point and a higher end point is not a good idea. If you want entry great, if you want a different price point great. The two together in my opinion not a good idea for the brand.

Not my cup of tea also. You pay your money and take your choice.

Gefa, blufinz52 and apsm100 like this.
  6. Rman Mar 23, 2022

Rolex put Dominos on the dial, they’re hot as pepperoni right now.

TheGreekPhysique, apsm100 and Omega D like this.
  7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 23, 2022

Totally agree....

This is marketing genius.
    A gate drug to the real world of Speedmaster (or even Omega in general)

It positions to answer Applewatch domination to young generation......and once they hooked, a gate drug to the real Moonwatch

I know how slippery slope it was :whistling:

Stripey, Socks, Caliber561 and 6 others like this.
  8. Alypius Mar 24, 2022

Just getting into Omega on a serious level, so I have no strong opinion either way. I think it's a great way to get younger people into the brand, particularly if the space angle is hyped (as it appears to be with the Uranus one).

There are elitists in every hobby. Whenever they start yelling "rabble! rabble! rabble!" I just mentally play the caddies-take-over-the-pool scene from Caddyshack. :D

9. base615 Mar 24, 2022

I'm mad for it. I have loads of Omegas, including two Speedies, but I think I'm going to queue up on Saturday for a Mission to Moon (OG Speedie Style) and Mission to Mars (Alaska Projectish)

Socks, aphexafx, Davidt and 1 other person like this.
  10. base615 Mar 24, 2022

Strictly speaking, neither is Pluto. Straight BS in my opinion as it will always be a planet to me.

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 24, 2022

I really think people are reading way to much into this, esp as if Swatch did not exist, Omega would have died years ago...

It's a fun little colab, that no one thinks is cheapening Omega...

If you want to hate on Swatch look no further than sistem 51...

Congrats you made a cheap plastic automatic movement out of 51 pieces... looks at the Seiko low-end workhorses that are cheaper than the plastic sistem 51 watches and last a lot longer in steel cases...

Also lest we not forget they called Pluto a planet... That there is enough to give them the OK in my mind.

12. cvalue13 Mar 24, 2022

neither is the Earth’s moon

have they called it a planet? they surely didn’t call the Sun or Earth’s moon a planet

TIL that the problem with continuing to include Pluto in our solar system was that the definition allowing Pluto to be a “planet” would also qualify roughly 150 other such orbital objects to be “planets” (we’ve gotten good at finding things out there)

Which is to say, there was a choice between a solar system with 8 planets (and a bunch of dwarf planets), or a solar system with ~158 “planets”

that kind of right-sized my sentimentality

blufinz52 and base615 like this.
  13. alexxs Mar 24, 2022

I don't like it, they went lazy and just made the speedmaster with cheap materials. A tribute piece from swatch with a space theme and elements of the speedmaster would've worked better imo.

But what I don't understand is how the gateway drug thing will work. So the 18 year old that doesn't know anything about watches randomly walks into a swatch boutique at some point and what? Buys an expensive swatch that looks like the one his dad or his grandad wear? And, even if he gets this far, how will owning that make him want to spend 20x more for the real thing. It's not like he'll go home and furiously start reading the tens of articles on the moon landing because he bought a swatch.

It's another brain dead business move from the people that have no other marketing ideas other than making speedmaster LEs and Bond watches.

blufinz52 and Omega D like this.
  14. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 24, 2022

I’d rather have a Swatch with a case that when it chips you throw that watch away and buy another rather than a ceramic Omega where the same applies because the case repair cost is higher than the value of the watch.

Edited Mar 24, 2022
    apsm100 likes this.
  15. cvalue13 Mar 24, 2022

Not to say it will work (remains to be seen), but instead only to reframe what “gateway” can mean in this context: people (whether 40 or 20, but especially 20) are increasingly fed-up with the self-serious, gate-keepy, artificial-unobtainium vibes of luxury wristwatches.

Rolex cartoon says: “even if you have money for one of our watches, you’ll never own one or anything with our branding on it.” This buyer says “I love that, keep the rabble out at all costs!”

Omega cartoon says: “sure we make high-end watches indistinguishable in quality from Rolex (and really one day you should try one of ours, you deserve it), but we are here for the joy of watch-wearing and everyone can have something with our brand on it (by the way, did you know Omega basically owns outer-space? Let me tell you more about that….)” This buyer says, “you know, Omega’s not so stuck-up all the time, and did you know about Omega owning outer-space, one day maybe I’ll …”

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 24, 2022

Better marketing plan than

A9B52FC4-7906-49F6-8FE8-49B363FB821D.jpeg

Woops, Elfrenez, YY77 and 8 others like this.
  17. blubarb Mar 24, 2022

A mixture of plastic and ceramic - hmmmm...I am not convinced - but then that's just me...:whistling: My biggest bug bear would be that these will feel weightless (yes I know that could work with many space/anti-gravity jokes) but I like feeling the tacticity and weight of steel on my wrist.

Edited Mar 24, 2022
    blufinz52 likes this.
  18. blubarb Mar 24, 2022

Isn't the SMART car a branding collaboration hybrid with Swatch & Mercedes...doesn't stop those who can afford it from buying a Merc.

19. Jayrock26v2 Mar 24, 2022

As someone who is fed up with the price hikes on the grey market for desirable watches this is a welcome and refreshing addition to the industry.

20. base615 Mar 24, 2022

23413a7c-fd8a-4eeb-80cd-8aca3cfdcd1f.JPG

Jayrock26v2 and apsm100 like this.