Forums Latest Members

Strategic changes at Longines

1. TimeODanaos Apr 23, 2022

"Transsibering"? ::confused2::

noelekal and Syrte like this.
  2. TimeODanaos Apr 24, 2022

Bump. So, it's confirmed this was definitely a thing. Longines burnished their illustrious name, no question, and thanks to @Seiji for that interesting post. But as someone intrigued by language, I am still scratching my head with this. It looks like a phonetic transcription of the way an Anglo might say "Trans-Siberian" - but only an English-speaker would think that "-ing" sounded like that... Or is it a mis-transcription by a Francophone of "...Sibérien"?
    Ouch, my head hurts... ::shy::

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 24, 2022

Trans-Siberia-Bering.

Put them all together, what do you have?
    gatorcpa

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  4. TimeODanaos Apr 24, 2022

:cautious: Hmmm... maybe works better in French... Don't think their PR guy should give up the day job though. :whistling:
    Thanks, Gator. I'm gonna stick to watches now. ::shy::

noelekal likes this.
  5. pdxleaf Often mistaken for AI... Aug 16, 2023

This thread deserves a bump after the release of the Hydroconquest GMT. This watch seems to be evidence that Longines is trying new recipes while also attempting to build on its legacy.

I like GMTs, although I have only owned an Oris, since sold, an X-33, also sold, and a Casio. GMTs aren't a necessity, but they are convenient. With friends and relatives in many time zones, the GMT is useful, maybe even more so when not traveling. A necessity? No, but a nice to have.

The Zulu Spirit was looking like it might be the GMT, until the HC Gmt came.

Longines has priced this so a person has to consider it, especially in USD. It maybe 1k more than the previous HC, but the Traveler's GMT can justify the increase. Hopefully Longines will resist the upward pricing that has changed how people think about Omega. Time will tell, but for now, the price seems reasonable, if not still a value.

Longines changed a lot in this, which tends to support the idea that the company is not stuck to its conservative past. Besides the dial and the hour markers, the lugs are more curved. I haven't tried one on yet but I am hoping the case is not so long across the wrist. It's also relatively slim for a GMT.

The bracelet sounds decent, with micro adjustments. At only 100 more for a bracelet for a 21mm lug width, it's hard to justify not getting a bracelet, although I think I think I'd prefer the Omega-looking rubber strap.

Most commentators seem to prefer the green, which I also initially preferred. I am leaning towards the black, however. Black, silver and splashes of red looks classier. The green is great, but it feels like it get tiring. The black also reminds of Omega, if I'm being honest with myself. But not in a way that the Longines is for people who can't afford an Omega. Just looks more quality. Still, have to wait to see one in person.

The Zulu has the COSC rated movement, but the HC has the same movement, so seems like not much difference. At first, I liked the Zulu 24 hour bezel, but 60 min bezel is a nice feature that allows the watch to act like a countdown for timing parking meters, pizzas in the oven, etc. Bonus to HC. Finally, there's the 300m water resistance. Score HC.

It feels like Longines is on the move, like they have broken through the defenses and are in open ground. They might stumble, but they seem to have picked up momentum.

Thoughts?

Zman4eva likes this.
  6. pdxleaf Often mistaken for AI... Sep 20, 2023

Tried the GMT on today. Lives up to the hype.

A bit heavy but sits nicely on my 7.25 inch wrist. Bracelet nicely tapers and the micro adjustable clasp is great. The dial is very beautiful and the hands, etc, look first class. On one tiny quibble was that the bottom edge of the side of the case was sharp. It could have used a little chamfer to look and feel more refined. But that is a nitpick. Hard to believe it's under 2800 usd.
    I have only seen the Omega 75th anniversary blue in pictures but I can imagine it looks similar to this Longines blue.
    20230920_154210.jpg 20230920_154229.jpg 20230920_154235.jpg 20230920_154336.jpg 20230920_154351.jpg 20230920_154359.jpg

Joe_A, Syrte, 8100_RPM and 8 others like this.
  7. Difeer Sep 21, 2023

Chiming in as well after trying on the new Master Collection Small Seconds. The engraved numerals is fantastic, and hard to find at its price point. But there were a few things that I thought could be improved, like the thickness of the watch (just a smidge thinner would have improved the balance of the height to the diameter) and the finishing of the dial. I'm definitely looking forward to what Longines brings in the near future.

2023-08-31 12.26.46.jpg

8. Maganator Sep 21, 2023

These are lovely. The black dialed version is also excellent.

However, one of my bugbears is when watch makers chop off numerals for a sub dial. It does not feel necessary given the proportions of this watch!

The IWC Portogieser is one of the finest examples - a near perfect watch ruined by the numeral munch!

Tekashi_145.022 likes this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 21, 2023

Want him back? Honestly as an owner of two fine vintage Longines chronographs and a waterproof fly back. it high time they got some love based on their heritage.

Difeer and pdxleaf like this.
  10. 707mm2 Oct 11, 2023

Actually they always outsourced some of their movements... The really first ones were french ébauches, and even before WWII you could find some valjoux based movements. But up to the mid 1970s Longines with external raw movements were quite niche compared to the vast majority of in-house ones.

What would really make me buy a new Longines would be a reedition of their wonderful L990 family with COSC. That would be really awesome, if anyone have their ears...

11. 707mm2 Oct 11, 2023

Actually I wonder if it wasn't also because of the technical difficulties they had developing their own automatic watches. Some of them like the 34x family are so unreliable...

12. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Oct 11, 2023

Could be.

13. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Oct 11, 2023

You are right that Longines had outsourced some of their movements at different points prior to the 1970s. Along with the movements you mentioned, another one that comes to mind are the LeCoultre-based(?) minute repeaters (see example below). However, I think it is fair to say that the overwhelming majority of Longines watches produced between the late 19th century and mid 20th century had in-house movements. And, that a marked change occurred after the 1960s when a much higher proportion of Longines watches did not have in-house movements.

Source: https://www.1stdibs.com/en-gb/jewel...ver-pocket-watch/id-j_15987412/#zoomModalOpen
    upload_2023-10-11_21-31-29.png
    upload_2023-10-11_21-31-54.png
    upload_2023-10-11_21-32-11.png
    upload_2023-10-11_21-32-51.png

Waltesefalcon, LesXL and watchyouwant like this.